• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Champs @ Craw's In-Law

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Twitter rather mum on the whole Leake thing. I would have thought Pav and those guys would be digging hard.
Pavs just mentioned it. First I've seen of it. Bochy's answer seemed precautionary.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty is slightly perplexed. I think this will gain a bit of steam as the day goes on.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bochy's explanation of why he pulled Leake so early is goofy. He is quoted as saying "He was done," Bochy said. "It'd gone far enough. It had been a while since he last pitched."
Its been 3 weeks since he last pitched.
By comparison:
Tim Hudson - 96 pitches (through 4 innings) 3 weeks after his last start
Jake Peavy - 94 pitches (through 6.1 innings) close to two months after his last start
Matt Cain - 89 pitches (through 5 innings) almost exactly a year after his last pitch in the big leagues!

While both Peavy and Cain both went through rehab starts before pitching, Hudson's time on the dl is the closest to Leake's and Hudson didn't go through rehab in that stint on the dl (not talking about his current stint) either. I wonder if Bochy was counting innings and not pitches.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bochy's explanation of why he pulled Leake so early is goofy. He is quoted as saying "He was done," Bochy said. "It'd gone far enough. It had been a while since he last pitched."
Its been 3 weeks since he last pitched.
By comparison:
Tim Hudson - 96 pitches (through 4 innings) 3 weeks after his last start
Jake Peavy - 94 pitches (through 6.1 innings) close to two months after his last start
Matt Cain - 89 pitches (through 5 innings) almost exactly a year after his last pitch in the big leagues!

While both Peavy and Cain both went through rehab starts before pitching, Hudson's time on the dl is the closest to Leake's and Hudson didn't go through rehab in that stint on the dl (not talking about his current stint) either. I wonder if Bochy was counting innings and not pitches.

I wonder if Bochy knows anything about managing a pitching staff. :noidea:

I realize this is part of the fun of being as involved as we are watching the team, second guessing is part of it. But maybe Leake just said to him 'Skip, I'm done', and Bochy doesn't want to say so for fear of making him look soft. Or maybe like the poster above said he was trying for a run.

I'm fine with whatever Bochy and Sabean do, even when it doesn't work, because no one is perfect but their average is really good.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki/Byrd/Craw/Blanco 0-14.

This wasn't on Bochy or the pitching. It's on the offense.

Didn't like the outcome, but I approve of this game. If we keep getting efforts like this from Bum, Peavy, Cain, Leak, Tron...we got a shot.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Bochy knows anything about managing a pitching staff. :noidea:

I realize this is part of the fun of being as involved as we are watching the team, second guessing is part of it. But maybe Leake just said to him 'Skip, I'm done', and Bochy doesn't want to say so for fear of making him look soft. Or maybe like the poster above said he was trying for a run.

I'm fine with whatever Bochy and Sabean do, even when it doesn't work, because no one is perfect but their average is really good.
Some good points, msg. I know that Bochy has been pretty good with making the calls on how long to use pitchers and, sure, Leake may have said he's done. Seems odd for someone competitive (assuming he's competitive) but its possible. Following the team day to day can mean nitpicking. If Leake did say he's done, that does raise some red flags. Either he's still injured, which is scary, or he may not have what it takes to grind out in the heat of the pennant race. Regardless, its just one start. Let's see how his next one shakes out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki/Byrd/Craw/Blanco 0-14.

This wasn't on Bochy or the pitching. It's on the offense.

Didn't like the outcome, but I approve of this game. If we keep getting efforts like this from Bum, Peavy, Cain, Leak, Tron...we got a shot.
Looking at the box score, I didn't realize that all the Giants got were singles while all four of the Pirates' hits were for extra bases. The way I view it, the bullpen and the offense are equally culpable. The bullpen didn't implode but those big hits cost a lot. The offense was getting on base, but they couldn't push many through home.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the box score, I didn't realize that all the Giants got were singles while all four of the Pirates' hits were for extra bases. The way I view it, the bullpen and the offense are equally culpable. The bullpen didn't implode but those big hits cost a lot. The offense was getting on base, but they couldn't push many through home.

Well, we do miss Pence and Panik....and Posey. Anyone here surprised the offense is struggling?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good points, msg. I know that Bochy has been pretty good with making the calls on how long to use pitchers and, sure, Leake may have said he's done. Seems odd for someone competitive (assuming he's competitive) but its possible. Following the team day to day can mean nitpicking. If Leake did say he's done, that does raise some red flags. Either he's still injured, which is scary, or he may not have what it takes to grind out in the heat of the pennant race. Regardless, its just one start. Let's see how his next one shakes out.

I think there are a few more possibilities than that. Seems like you are reading too much into this. Last 2 sentences I agree 100%

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a few more possibilities than that. Seems like you are reading too much into this. Last 2 sentences I agree 100%
The bolded sentence was in response to the scenario that you gave. I'm not going to push the conversation any further, unless something comes up about Leake regarding this game.