• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carter Garnering Interest

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea was that Vilardi would start the year on RW, work in some time at C as he gained experience. Take over for Carter next season. But that sure ain't happening!

Unfortunately not, he has been shut down at the NHL level and assigned for roster purposes to the OHL. This is the second year he has started the season on the Kings roster on IR but didn't play a single game in the NHL, definitely not a good sign for 2019-20.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like seeing kovy excited when the kings score and win a game...kings have won 3 in a row...still in last place and he looks like they just made the playoffs...shows a lot of character to me, dude signed a contract to win a cup and could easily check out but doesnt.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like seeing kovy excited when the kings score and win a game...kings have won 3 in a row...still in last place and he looks like they just made the playoffs...shows a lot of character to me, dude signed a contract to win a cup and could easily check out but doesnt.

Agreed, he is playing excited regardless of the situation. Also nice to see he is being set up at the left dot for the one timers like Ovechkin, he has a rocket and has been pretty much mismanaged at this point with Slick Willie at the wheel.

I will say Willard has them playing better as of late, maybe the last 2-3 weeks even though the wins aren't coming in as consistently but better than they were before. I still don't think he will be the long term solution here but maybe he can increase his demand for his next gig, it was looking really bad the first 4-5 weeks he was here.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to get to this part of your post:

IF most everyone is available for trade, the Kings could actually open up a lot of Cap Space. Even if its just 2-3 out of Marty, Muzz, Toffoli, Carter, Quick. If its up to 4 out of those 5 guys, then Kings could actually take on a couple bad contracts (albeit not super long ones) in conjunction with good picks/prospects

Looking at cap hit only:
1. Quick $5.8 million
2. Muzz $4 million
3. Carter $5.272 million
4. Toffoli $4.6 million
5. Martinez $4 million

Moving any 2 of them will free up $8 million minimum, which would be crucial to rebuilding/retooling. We all know the bog contract guys like Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Kovalchuk, etc. are most likely not going anywhere.

I was thinking there may be salary retention on a move with Quick but after the 2019-20 season his salary drops to $9 million over the final 3 years of the deal ($3.5 million/$3 million/$2.5 million) so the Kings have that working for them if he is possibly moved. That shouldn't even get to the table based on what he is actually owed at that point.

The issue is he has the same front loaded deal like Carter ($49 million cash of the $58 million in the first 7 years) and no trade protection so the retirement threat and cap recapture penalty would apply if he is moved to a place he doesn't want to go.

Obviously Seattle is an option too but I am not sold on Campbell yet, I see Petersen as the future starter over him from what I have seen so far. I think it makes sense to have Quick mentor Petersen and move Campbell/expose him unless Campbell elevates his play to match Petersen's (he hasn't been bad, but he hasn't been as good for certain).

I know Hagelin and Thompson will likely get traded too. But out of the aforementioned group of core 5, how would you all rank trade value? (Obviously, depends on a willing trade partner's need)

1. Quick
2. Muzz
3. Carter
4-5. Tie between Toffoli and Marty

My stack ranking would be:

1. Martinez/Muzzin
2. Quick
3. Carter
4. Toffoli

Defenders are always valued higher than forwards - especially veteran, Cup winning ones like both these guys - so I think Muzzin and Martinez carry more weight than anyone on that list. There has been a lot of talk surrounding Muzzin, most recently from the Penguins and the Kings' ask are high draft picks which takes them out of the running. I would assume a Martinez deal would be in the same boat as soon as he starts playing again.

Penguins Trade Speculation: Scouting Escalates

LA is open for business as their nightmare season continues, however, a source familiar with other LA trade talks told PHN the Kings are demanding high draft picks in return for available players. That could well exclude the Penguins from any further discussion.

I see Quick being moved to two types of teams, a) a contender looking to make a serious run at the Cup in the next 1-2 years or b) an up and coming team who could use a veteran, battle tested, winning goalie who can show the younger group how it's done. In regards to A, I don't see an available spot for him with the legitimate contenders (Tampa Bay, Nashville, Washington, Boston, etc) as they are set in goal.

Maybe Toronto with Anderson, he is 22-16 in the POs but 17-9 was with solid Anaheim teams but an ugly 5-8 with Toronto. He won't be able to steal games until Toronto shores up that defense, which is something Quick has and still does. They would be sending a significant contract back however to make room for him, not to mention between Andersen and Quick that would be $10.8 million in 2 goalies. This would be a very complex deal with Toronto and more than moving parts, this would be a blockbuster. I haven't even touched on the "who's the actual starter" controversy that would accompany a trade with Toronto.

Regarding B, Buffalo seems to have finally turned the corner and is on an upward trend and the Blue Jackets for certain could use a guy like Quick. They have only been to the POs 3 times in their existence, have lost all 3 series and are a combined brutal 5-16. With Bobrovsky possibly not resigning in Columbus after this season, Quick could be a piece that helps them get over that hump and would be a long term solution at least for a few years.

As always the Flyers and Kings seem linked with every trade down to toilet paper rolls, not surprised he has come up. Makes some sense but also not much sense in a Kings/Flyers move.

Carter has generated a lot of interest, he would be a solid addition to a Cup contending team. Experience, size, leadership and in the right situation may become a sniper again. The issue is the same thing as Quick as we know, he calls the shots, trade protection or not because of the contract. He has been linked to Boston and Arizona.

Toffoli, not sure what else to say except that ship has sailed. I'm no GM but what I've said for years is what an anonymous GM told them about Toffoli. I think he should have been moved over Pearson first.

You guys have read my stuff long enough to know what I think of him - he can't create anything on his own (see his OT goal the other night - it took OT with 2 guys missing on the ice and a poor line change from Nate Schmidt to spring him for a goal. Most of his goals are like that, set up from someone else, tap ins, backdoor plays, PP goals, what have you), he relies on teammates far too much, when he isn't scoring he isn't doing much else and for having a reputation as a sniper, he is even too streaky for them.

If you get The Athletic, there is a great article on him (subscription required):

Rebuilding the Kings: The case for and against trading Tyler...

At this stage, 24 goals seems like a long shot, considering he has five goals in 35 games. Like the last-place Kings, Toffoli has underachieved in a meaningful way.

“When teams are not functioning, players who are dependent upon others to get the best out of them find their difficulties grow,” said a former NHL general manager. “Tyler has never been a great skater and L.A. is not a fast team.

“That magnifies the shortcoming. Further, they were a team that cycled and played along the boards in the offensive zone and that allowed Tyler the opportunity to find the holes and when he did, his shot was a real threat.

“They don’t play that well any longer and Tyler is not a ‘rush’ player, so he finds himself in between and without opportunity much of the time.

However he is 26 and has a lot of experience and has shown he can score in the right situation, so it would have to be a perfect fit for the acquiring team to pay a heavier price than what he is worth.

The Kings should have moved him 18 months ago but missed that boat. They don't need to move him though, so if there isn't an offer they don't like they are in no rush.

I am eternally grateful to all these guys for helping bring Cups to L.A. But if its just one that ends up staying, then I'd prefer it be Carter. Put him back on RW after they draft a C with high end 1st round pick in June.

Just to increase our chances at #1, I would love to trade a package of these guys to Col in exchange for the rights to Ottawa's 1st round pick. Maybe Blake can work a deal with his buddy Sakic.

That would be an interesting trade for sure, the Kings could take a big leap forward with drafting 2 elite players in the first 10 picks.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this comes into play or not, but Petersen is an RFA in 2019. IF the Kings trade Quick without getting some lesser resemblance of a NHL caliber back again (in any number of trades), could that effect the Petersen contract negotiations? If he is the presumed #1, even with limited experience, an agent would naturally ask for more $$$. Just an thought....

As previously discussed above, if the Kings move some serious salary, then they could take on a bad contract. Say Darling from Carolina. That way, can bury him in minors with only $3M counting against cap, and he is insurance for Petersen or Campbell injury. Would be less cap hit if Carolina retained any salary.

Long story short, my New Years wish list (pipe dream) includes any combo of the following:

A forward from Toronto (trade 1 dman on roster plus Voynov)

A R-Dman from Carolina (trade a combo of Carter, Toff, and/or another forward)

Ottawa's #1 pick via Colorado (trade Quick)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this comes into play or not, but Petersen is an RFA in 2019. IF the Kings trade Quick without getting some lesser resemblance of a NHL caliber back again (in any number of trades), could that effect the Petersen contract negotiations? If he is the presumed #1, even with limited experience, an agent would naturally ask for more $$$. Just an thought....

I think it depends on Campbell too, if he is in the picture that benefits the Kings as they have options and are not limited to Petersen only.

At the beginning of 2019-20 he will be 25 years old, which means under the current CBA his UFA year will be summer 2022 when he is 28 years, almost 29, because of his birthday (10/19/94). The CBA expires officially on June 30, 2022 if no one opts out (NHL or NHLPA) in Sept 2019 as both have the option to.

At that point if he isn't under a long term contract, he can walk away as can the Kings, so I think guys due bridge/second contracts within the next 2 years will be asking for security, including font loaded signing bonuses with low annual salary built in for guaranteed money.

The Kings will tender him his MQO next summer (that doesn't mean has to accept it, that just means LA owns his rights) and negotiations will begin. If all 3 goalies are around, Expansion will be a factor and will affect how much he signs for and when it expires.

Personally, I can't see him asking for the moon no matter what, he has limited experience as you stated - no matter how good he is - and won't have a lot of leverage. Quick's second deal - the one he won his first Cup on - was 3 years/$5.4 million ($1.8 million AAV). I think Petersen will get something similar (just structured differently for that guaranteed money) barring one of those 8 year deals that covers several years of UFA status and would be considerably higher.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send Quick to the Flyers for Carter Hart :)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late in responding. Been super busy. I would love Quick to retire a King, and he'd be my #1 of anyone. Just love everything about the dude. BUT, with the Seattle approval, I don't see too many scenarios where's he with LA after all is said and done in the next 3 years. Hope I am wrong.

We did the Kings Holiday Party last week, and it was pretty cool. My Mom is the only one in the world with an Alex Iafallo jersey, which we got her last year (Reason Mom wanted Iafallo jersey: "He's cute"). So I got her a pass to meet him and have him sign her jersey. She came over to me after and said he goes "Wow, someone actually owns my jersey?". She said it was sweet, and it was nice to see him get excited to sign his own jersey.

Doughty had some good comments about the standings. He said they stopped looking, but they know if they can rattle off 15 of 20, they'd be back in it. Loving that they won 3 in a row, but that is a lofty goal. Kings have surprised before, and the Pacific is terrible this year, so here's hoping.

I don't have much else, just that. Hope everyone's Holiday was/is going well.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year jabronis, hope everyone was safe and sound and best wishes for 2019. Put together a few articles I think would be of interest, all things Carter here and then other odds and ends.

Predators may be interested in Carter:

Predators interested in LA’s Carter? — The Fourth Period

Good mention in there about the cap recapture, I never believed he would retire. Not only to not stick it to the Kings but also because although it's "only" $7 million cash his final three seasons it's still "only" $7 million. He won't leave that on the table at his age.

He looked like Carter of old against Edmonton, but then again, it's Edmonton. Even "Everyone else sets me up for gimmes" Toffoli looked good, which isn't saying much.

Nice hit Carter put on McJesus, Doughty was giving him the business all night long too. A win is a win however, so take it no matter what.