• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carlos Santana Overrated?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Him and Salty in my league 5x5. Jarrod is putting up the same numbers as Santana in Less at bats. I dont understand how Salty is only owned 54% while Santana is owned 100%? Hes overvalued IMO. Thoughts?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rip-carlos-santana.jpg

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Santana, the catcher is somewhat overrated, but then again all name brand catchers are.

What you pay for is everyday ABs and therefor the greater likelihood of production. If Salty slumps, you might not get anything for 2 weeks because he gets fewer ABs.

Personally, I don't think it is worth drafting top tier catchers in most formats because of the way that Salty's numbers compare. If you can fill a hole on your roster somewhere by dealing Santana, it may help your team out.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Him and Salty in my league 5x5. Jarrod is putting up the same numbers as Santana in Less at bats. I dont understand how Salty is only owned 54% while Santana is owned 100%? Hes overvalued IMO. Thoughts?

Because Salty has a reputation and track record for sucking and fantasy players don't forgive or forget that quickly.
Santana's power is for real and his BA has improved each year, plus he's better than league average for drawing walks which keeps his OBP high.
Bottom line is he's the safe bet. You plug him into your lineup and forget him because you know what he's gonna give you.

This is Saltalamacchia's best year batting average wise and he has power, but he has been so inconsistent (or outright sucked) over the years people have a hard time buying him. He should be owned more given what he's doing, but given there is little difference between what he's doing and what the 5 guys ranked below him are doing, there's no need for people to swap catchers only for a slight upgrade.
I suspect Salty's BA will come crashing down at some point (see John Buck) and when that happens, you'll see why Santana is the better choice.