• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Car Radio Display Not Showing Up

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all of a sudden the display for the radio in my car is blank and only is orange. I have hit the "display" button numerous times and turned on and off the car and it still won't show up.

It just happened and an 2 hours before it was working fine..

What gives? Wiring?

I am thinking it could be wiring because my lights flicker a lot lately, though the deal said nothing is wrong and they couldn't duplicate problem.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's rather annoying that everything goes wrong with my car lately. Brakes... rattling, engine needed to be fixed, ac went, etc... Now this is clearly very minor but the display not working sucks.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never had a radio display go out and then come back on.
But if your lights are flickering it sounds like a grounding problem to me.
Is it worse when it rains???

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never had a radio display go out and then come back on.
But if your lights are flickering it sounds like a grounding problem to me.
Is it worse when it rains???

hmm... Now that you mention it my lights appear to "flicker" more "frequently" when it's raining or the threat is in the air.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm... Now that you mention it my lights appear to "flicker" more "frequently" when it's raining or the threat is in the air.

When you say 'lights' does that just mean the headlights or do all the gauges and lights inside the car do it too, and if they do, do they all do it at the same time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say 'lights' does that just mean the headlights or do all the gauges and lights inside the car do it too, and if they do, do they all do it at the same time.

sorry, just the headlights... It's like the flicker for a second from high to low... the people in front of me must think I am flashing them.. I'm shocked a cop hasn't pulled me over yet

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The radio display just went out a few hours ago... Up until that point I hadn't had a problem with it. I still can play the radio and cd just can't see the display or the time

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, just the headlights... It's like the flicker for a second from high to low... the people in front of me must think I am flashing them.. I'm shocked a cop hasn't pulled me over yet

In my experience, the only time the headlights flicker or dim are when your alternator is either underpowered or going out. Have you added anything to your stereo? A large amp will drain a stock alternator. Otherwise, you might want to swing by a Napa or Autozone or someplace like that real quick and have them test your charging system. Not sure if a failing alternator would cause your headunit display to go out. That might just be a faulty unit. It isn't one with a removeable face plate is it? If so maybe a bent or dirty pin.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience, the only time the headlights flicker or dim are when your alternator is either underpowered or going out. Have you added anything to your stereo? A large amp will drain a stock alternator. Otherwise, you might want to swing by a Napa or Autozone or someplace like that real quick and have them test your charging system. Not sure if a failing alternator would cause your headunit display to go out. That might just be a faulty unit. It isn't one with a removeable face plate is it? If so maybe a bent or dirty pin.

nope, haven't touched the radio, it's the stock one that came with the car back in 2008. I have noticed sometimes it feels like I am losing a little power when the lights flicker so it could be the alternator... I brought it to the dealership (Nissan) and they said everything was fine, yet it still did it again today.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of car is it again.

I like what fordman said about the alt.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either the alternator or the voltage regulator inside the alternator is going to shit. Disconnect the ground wire from the alt, clean it and put it back on to see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, just get a new one at Advanced Auto and put it on yourself.

The stereos usually have a protector thing that shuts down the fragile stuff if voltage is inadequate or irregular...or it got fried from irregular volts.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
Chick I work with has a 2012 Altima and the same thing happened to hers. Apparently the display is replaceable and her dad ordered one online for like $20, changed it out and it fixed it. Seems to be a fairly common problem with those cars in particular.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chick I work with has a 2012 Altima and the same thing happened to hers. Apparently the display is replaceable and her dad ordered one online for like $20, changed it out and it fixed it. Seems to be a fairly common problem with those cars in particular.

Thanks for the info. It seems ok now

However, my headlights are flashing like high beams at random times. the Dealership claims there is nothing wrong with them which is complete BS

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info. It seems ok now

However, my headlights are flashing like high beams at random times. the Dealership claims there is nothing wrong with them which is complete BS
Oddly enough, my wifes Sonata did something similar and after searching around online I found that it was the positive battery cable causing it to happen. Something in it would cause the flow of current to be erratic causing the lights to flicker here and there. I replaced the entire cable and it hasn't happened since. Might be something worth looking in to.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly enough, my wifes Sonata did something similar and after searching around online I found that it was the positive battery cable causing it to happen. Something in it would cause the flow of current to be erratic causing the lights to flicker here and there. I replaced the entire cable and it hasn't happened since. Might be something worth looking in to.

interesting. Hadn't thought of that/ I will have to look into that. You would have thought the dealership would have checked into that though too, morons

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting. Hadn't thought of that/ I will have to look into that. You would have thought the dealership would have checked into that though too, morons

Most of the time those guys are only plugging in into the OBD terminal and reporting what the computer says. I too like the battery cable idea. That would be an easy check. Pull both terminals, clean em real good, make sure they are put back nice and tight, and check for stiffness in the cable. If any one spot isn't able to bend as easy as the rest, you have corrosion in there.

My truck one time had something similar, when I would push in the clutch and really rev the engine the AC would come on. :) My negative battery cable was corroded to hell, looked fine though. My grandfather pulled it, showed me how you couldn't kink one spot, put a new one on, and everything was great.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the time those guys are only plugging in into the OBD terminal and reporting what the computer says. I too like the battery cable idea. That would be an easy check. Pull both terminals, clean em real good, make sure they are put back nice and tight, and check for stiffness in the cable. If any one spot isn't able to bend as easy as the rest, you have corrosion in there.

My truck one time had something similar, when I would push in the clutch and really rev the engine the AC would come on. :) My negative battery cable was corroded to hell, looked fine though. My grandfather pulled it, showed me how you couldn't kink one spot, put a new one on, and everything was great.

excellent I will have to try that. Thanks! Would do it now but sadly work is getting in the way