• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Canucks vs Flames - Round 1

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats dash.

I would like to point out that I was late getting in and when I started it was 3-0 VAN.

Also, I had no idea Sam Bennet was only 18.

I expect a "cool story bro", but I was wearing a Kipper Flames jersey at the start of the game and as soon as it was 3-0, I hung it back up in the closet.

/Thanks for the added good juju 43.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1297692685986_ORIGINAL.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some love for Kris Russell in the Provies...

Playing big minutes Kris Russell has been taking a pickaxe to conventional wisdom.

In a league that swoons over size, one where Luca Sbisa will be making $4 million in three years, Russell has spent much of this series lampooning the size-ists.

Feaster has been lampooned plenty, but size was never really that important to him, and prying Russell out of St. Louis for a fifth round pick is one of the most underrated trades of the past five years.

Hitchcock, who had Russell in Columbus, was the Blues coach when they gave Russell away.

His deployment of Russell was, well, surprising to Wideman.

“I remember playing against him a couple of times,” Wideman said. “When he was in St. Louis, there were a couple games he played where I thought he was their best defenceman on the ice.

“Then, next time, he wasn’t playing. And I thought that was kind of weird.”

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some love for Kris Russell in the Provies...

Playing big minutes Kris Russell has been taking a pickaxe to conventional wisdom.

In a league that swoons over size, one where Luca Sbisa will be making $4 million in three years, Russell has spent much of this series lampooning the size-ists.

Feaster has been lampooned plenty, but size was never really that important to him, and prying Russell out of St. Louis for a fifth round pick is one of the most underrated trades of the past five years.

Hitchcock, who had Russell in Columbus, was the Blues coach when they gave Russell away.

His deployment of Russell was, well, surprising to Wideman.

“I remember playing against him a couple of times,” Wideman said. “When he was in St. Louis, there were a couple games he played where I thought he was their best defenceman on the ice.

“Then, next time, he wasn’t playing. And I thought that was kind of weird.”

Yup ... U have to question hitchcock ... If the bluezzzz lose he should be on his walmart sweater wearing ass

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via the Elias Sports Bureau, the Flames became the fourth team in Stanley Cup Playoffs history to record a series-clinching win in regulation when trailing by three or more goals. The others to accomplish that feat: the 1997 Avalanche (Game 6 of CQF at CHI), 2009 Penguins (Game 6 of CQF at PHI) and 2010 Flyers (Game 7 of CSF at BOS).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via the Elias Sports Bureau, the Flames became the fourth team in Stanley Cup Playoffs history to record a series-clinching win in regulation when trailing by three or more goals. The others to accomplish that feat: the 1997 Avalanche (Game 6 of CQF at CHI), 2009 Penguins (Game 6 of CQF at PHI) and 2010 Flyers (Game 7 of CSF at BOS).
Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good company.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two of those teams made the SCF, with the other losing in the WCF. Soooo...that's nice.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup ... U have to question hitchcock ... If the bluezzzz lose he should be on his walmart sweater wearing ass

And even more confusing is he nearly immediately traded for Russell when he got to St Lou. He misused the boy here as well. Local scuttlebutt was that he didn't care for Kris.

Man do I want a do-over on that one. When he went to Calgary for a 5th, I could have cried. Him with Tyutin again would have been a dream come true.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even more confusing is he nearly immediately traded for Russell when he got to St Lou. He misused the boy here as well. Local scuttlebutt was that he didn't care for Kris.

Man do I want a do-over on that one. When he went to Calgary for a 5th, I could have cried. Him with Tyutin again would have been a dream come true.

I know his GM didn't hand him a strong goalie tandem but it blows my mind that he didn't start Brian Elliott yesterday - even if they still lost, I would have rather went with him because they needed a spark and it was too late once Jake Allen let in the first two

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to hear from green garbage day clean-out at Rogers Arena today Burrows confirm he broke his rib in the Russell fight (not an errant puck in practice the day of game 5). Ya gotta love Russell!

:D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to hear from green garbage day clean-out at Rogers Arena today Burrows confirm he broke his rib in the Russell fight (not an errant puck in practice the day of game 5). Ya gotta love Russell!

:D
And this is why you don't fight in the playoffs.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing in this entire series that really drove me nuts and still bugs me is when Russel was roughing up sedin and sedin (doesn't matter if it's Daniel or henrik they both turn away) just turned away. Nothing. Those guys are wonderful talented players but holy they will never win in his league. He didn't even give Russel a dirty look. Just oh turn the other cheek .. Brutal throw a punch or shove him off, stand up for yourself for once show some backbone and maybe the team will rally a little more.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing in this entire series that really drove me nuts and still bugs me is when Russel was roughing up sedin and sedin (doesn't matter if it's Daniel or henrik they both turn away) just turned away. Nothing. Those guys are wonderful talented players but holy they will never win in his league. He didn't even give Russel a dirty look. Just oh turn the other cheek .. Brutal throw a punch or shove him off, stand up for yourself for once show some backbone and maybe the team will rally a little more.

meh ... they r who they are ... they needed someone on the line to finish all the great chances they created ... and that player should preferably be a tank who can defend them if need be

/Paging Jake Virtanen

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh ... they r who they are ... they needed someone on the line to finish all the great chances they created ... and that player should preferably be a tank who can defend them if need be

/Paging Jake Virtanen

No I get that. But it just doesn't work at all for them to win anything important. You would thinkntheynwoukd want to be better in that. They get better in everything else. Meh is pretty much it I guess

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back Matty!!

had to take a little time out. Reflect. Learned more about my team in this playoffs than the last 5 years with this core.