• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cano bringing more value than expected

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last few seasons we have been interested on some level with the big fish of free agency. Whether it was Hamilton or Fielder, it just seemed like we missed out on the big name bat that we needed to get the ball rolling as a competitor. Finally we land Cano, and it already seems like we ended up with the best of them all. His value in the clubhouse, and the way he expresses himself with teammates in the clubhouse is a Cano that I don't think New York ever got to see. Don't get me wrong, they had a Cano that lit up the ball and manned 2B as good as any in the league. The difference is that he has become the voice in the clubhouse with the kids, and they seem to have grasped on to him as the leader on the field. To see a Mariner getting intentionally walked as many times as I have seen in just two games is a sign of respect, and now Smoak is lighting them up. Cano's presence is being felt on and off of the field, and glad that he was the big fish that we ended up catching.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's pretty good to see that Cano started working with Smoak on drills and batting approach. Howard Johnson's influence is probably strong, too.

For Cano, it was a matter of survival more than anything. He wants to hit, and knows the only hope of getting much is if Smoak is able to do what he's done the past couple of games. Both times the pitchers has walked Cano, Smoak has made them pay. Great to see.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 of 162.... so my expectation is still to be disappointed. But who are the guys in the Smoak and Ackley jerseys????? Dayammm theyre raking and I for one love it.

Cano might set the single season Intentionally walked record this year....

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to say, it would be so nice if Morales was behind Smoak rather than Hart/Morrison. Follow that up with Ackley and Seager, pretty solid assuming they continue to rake. Maybe we find a couple of extra bucks to land Morales, and he sees that we are contenders and wants to come back (assuming we keep killing it).

-Almonte
-Miller
-Cano
-Smoak
-Morales
-Ackley
-Seager
-Saunders
-Zunino

This would be nice!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this and Iwak and Walker aren't even in the rotation yet!

By mid may we might have the best rotation in our division along with a young and productive offense anchored by the best 2nd basemen in the game

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok guys...I'm as happy as you guys are with the mariners start. but let's temper this a little bit. it's a nice 2 game start to the season but let's not get ahead of ourselves. we've seen hot streaks from these guys before, the problem has been consistency. if they are still producing at the end of the month then i understand all the optimism but let's pump the breaks a little. we only have seen two starts, one was from our former cy young winner who we know brings it 90% percent of the time.

im not trying to be debbie downer, but i just don't want to get my hopes up too early to see them crash and burn by june (again).

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about w/l at this point. It's just refreshing to see some of the guys actually play like major leaguers for a change.

Pretty sure nobody on here is overly optimistic.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am cautiously optimistic, but when it's time to enjoy some production that is over due we need to. I don't think anyone is proclaiming us as World Series contenders just yet. Just having a great start to the season has been nice, even only after two games.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2Gamessss Yeahhh.
No but seriously. Not getting sucked into the hype. I won't be let down like I am every year. I'm as others have said...cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok guys...I'm as happy as you guys are with the mariners start. but let's temper this a little bit. it's a nice 2 game start to the season but let's not get ahead of ourselves. we've seen hot streaks from these guys before, the problem has been consistency. if they are still producing at the end of the month then i understand all the optimism but let's pump the breaks a little. we only have seen two starts, one was from our former cy young winner who we know brings it 90% percent of the time.

im not trying to be debbie downer, but i just don't want to get my hopes up too early to see them crash and burn by june (again).

So far this is as optimistic as fans have had a chance to be under Jack Z. It is very encouraging that Smoak and Ackley are off to hot starts. I don't have numbers, but both guys have had their hot stretches but it doesn't seem to me that either have come at the same time. And both are showing sky high confidence in themselves which is the most needed thing in baseball.

Another reason for optimism is that Miller has shown signs of being a star.

The team doesn't need Smoak, Ackley, Zunino or Miller to be stars but if all play at a Seager level then the team has a shot at actually playing for something come the dog days.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2Gamessss Yeahhh.
No but seriously. Not getting sucked into the hype. I won't be let down like I am every year. I'm as others have said...cautiously optimistic.

I cannot say that I blame you, Thisname. It's been too damn long...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks_3 your post was spot on. Since coming to the Mariners it seems as if Cano has taken a serious leadership role with the team, even taking Smoak under his wing. I have been unable to watch the games due to being on vacation, but judging by the box score it seems as if he is getting a lot of respect with pitchers trying to work around him.

His $24m annual salary is a hefty price tag, but it really would appear he is worth the cost at this point.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what makes me most excited is not the fact that we're starting fast or in first place...it's that our young guys are doing so fricking well

Last year we started with a bunch of hrs but most of them were from morse, raul, and bay...guys that have no future with us.

This year we're seeing Miller emerge, Smoak raking, Ackley being very productive, Erasmo continuing his spring success and Paxton looking dominant. And we still have Walker and Hultzen in our hip pockets too.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno if it's Cano or the coaching staff... but the confidence of the players that were here last year seems two fold. Will be interesting to see how the players react when the Ms start losing some series (happens to every team, playoff bound or not), but so far wow.

I have seen Cano smiling, talking (a lot) with quite a few of the Ms players here from last year. I also think some of these 'prospects' are hitting the right time in their career. Few players pull a Mike Trout and just knock it out of the park (literally) at that age. It takes mid 20s to get things rolling.

Regardless, Cano through this point in time is leading average on the Ms. Ridiculous base on balls, I'll take that too with his speed.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of what is most promising so far, for me it's not that we're scoring runs and winning, it's how. Ackley, Smoak, Miller, Zunino... they all look like profession hitters. They're being patient, not chasing garbage pitches, then when they get meat they're absolutely crushing it. Not rolling over, not a weak popup, not a seeing eye single. Even a lot of the outs are getting hit hard and that is very encouraging.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I think canos winning personality is helping the locker room this was everything felix was lacking maybe its because of his deep english speaking skills but he was more the type to just speak spanish to the spanish players in the dug out but cano is really bringing our lineup together and lets give mclendon some credit he is a stronger personality than wedge he will without a doubt have his show sometime this season

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of what is most promising so far, for me it's not that we're scoring runs and winning, it's how. Ackley, Smoak, Miller, Zunino... they all look like profession hitters. They're being patient, not chasing garbage pitches, then when they get meat they're absolutely crushing it. Not rolling over, not a weak popup, not a seeing eye single. Even a lot of the outs are getting hit hard and that is very encouraging.

Totally agree. It seemed like every time Ackley or Smoak stepped in the box in years past they would be immediately sitting 0-2.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out in the next month whether the Angels are just that bad, whether the M's have improved, whether it is a combo of both, or just circumstantial.

My personal theory is the M's had more competition for spots in ST and so guys were much more focused on getting their act together, therefore, they are in a better position to both hit and pitch than other teams coming out of the gate. The past few years this team has done fairly well opening week, but thats about it. Some say this team passes the eye test, and although I don't really know what to look for, I kind of agree that some guys just look poised and ready at the plate. Ack is not bailing out, Smoak is not chasing crap. There is a little more confidence up there. Who gets credit for it? I don't know, probably a combo of maturity, Cano, McClendon, HoJo.

All I know is it does feel nice to look forward to a game and although it is still so very early, it does feel a little different this year. I know that is not very good analysis, but thats as good as it gets with me.