• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calling it now, Phillies will come back and win 2018 NL East

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was more on the manager than the pen IMO.

Just because you have 16 relievers doesn't mean you have to use them, and why are you using a guy that coming into the game had an ERA of over 17 at STP in a one run game?
He may have been the best reliever available?:noidea: The Phillies need to address the issue during the off-season bc guys like Nola, Arrita, etc can't give you 8-9 innings every night for a while season. They will have dead arms by the end of the season.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread played out like a few of my few one night stands:

At first it's like

giphy.gif

then before you know it

giphy.gif

lastly

giphy.gif

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, it was a good season. Hopefully we can still finish .500. I think I predicted around 85 wins for this team, and while we'll fall short of that, this season obviously was a definite improvement, and was fun for 5 months of the season.

I don't know what we're gonna do this offseason, but I am sure it will involve spending a ton of cash. I predict a huge offseason for us with trades and signings. I think we get one of Machado/Harper (probably Harper), but I would love to get both. We also may be moving Carlos Santana, which I would like. He had a decent year for us, but at the end of the day, he'll be a 33 year old first baseman coming off a 1.9 WAR and 109 wRC+ season (10th and 15th out of 25 qualified first basemen in 2018). So basically he's mediocre with a sizable contract. I have newfound trust in Klentak to pull some smart deals off.

I also love Gabe Kapler. I loved the hire, loved his job this season. He'll get criticized a lot, but I truly believe we will see multiple championships with him before his run is over.

Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves on a well fought 2018 season. @Chewbaccer @Mistaken4193. You guys have a young and talented team, and steadied the up and down season. You were the better team this year, you deserved the 2018 NL East Champion title.

But seriously, I hope and pray you cocksuckers get bounced in the first round.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, it was a good season. Hopefully we can still finish .500. I think I predicted around 85 wins for this team, and while we'll fall short of that, this season obviously was a definite improvement, and was fun for 5 months of the season.

I don't know what we're gonna do this offseason, but I am sure it will involve spending a ton of cash. I predict a huge offseason for us with trades and signings. I think we get one of Machado/Harper (probably Harper), but I would love to get both. We also may be moving Carlos Santana, which I would like. He had a decent year for us, but at the end of the day, he'll be a 33 year old first baseman coming off a 1.9 WAR and 109 wRC+ season (10th and 15th out of 25 qualified first basemen in 2018). So basically he's mediocre with a sizable contract. I have newfound trust in Klentak to pull some smart deals off.

I also love Gabe Kapler. I loved the hire, loved his job this season. He'll get criticized a lot, but I truly believe we will see multiple championships with him before his run is over.

Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves on a well fought 2018 season. @Chewbaccer @Mistaken4193. You guys have a young and talented team, and steadied the up and down season. You were the better team this year, you deserved the 2018 NL East Champion title.

Preciate it. Sounds like You guys are going to redo the whole roster this offseason(other than Nola and Hoskins) without rebuilding. So I guess yall are gonna spend a TON of money. I hope you have a great offseason,its a lot more fun feuding with yall than the gNats or Mutts.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just get better fundamentally with defense and baserunning, and work on some situational hitting and yall will improve a lot.

I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I've heard arguments that the 2018 Phillies are the worst defensive team ever, and there have been a lot of baserunning blunders.

And it just seemed like if there wasn't a homer, yall didn't score. Home runs are great, but there's also nothing wrong with a sac fly.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get better fundamentally with defense and baserunning, and work on some situational hitting and yall will improve a lot.

I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I've heard arguments that the 2018 Phillies are the worst defensive team ever, and there have been a lot of baserunning blunders.

And it just seemed like if there wasn't a homer, yall didn't score. Home runs are great, but there's also nothing wrong with a sac fly.

The Phillies may not even be the worst defensive team in baseball this year, you could make a case for the Orioles. They are bad though.

Major League Team Stats » 2018 » All Positions » Fielding Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

They are 2nd to last in UZR, UZR/150 and dead last in DRS. 27th in MLB in defensive efficiency rating.

2018 Major League Baseball Standard Fielding | Baseball-Reference.com

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your buddies on the Phillies board are pissed that Kapler is coming back. I'll admit, I'm not as high on him as you are(Not high on SNitker either FWIW), but what did they expect. He had the team in first place as late as August and were in the hunt until basically the last week of the season and improved your record from last season by 13 games. Unless he gets caught banging an underraged kid or something, there's no way you're firing him after one season.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddamn

@jvett77
@Retroram52
@northeastphillyguy
@Screamin Eagle

you guys are some stupid motherfuckers. I just read your fucking disgraceful shitposts about Kapler. You morons are too thick-skulled to realize that he's the best thing to ever happen to this franchise. This team was a 73 to 75 win team without him:L

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddamn

@jvett77
@Retroram52
@northeastphillyguy
@Screamin Eagle

you guys are some stupid motherfuckers. I just read your fucking disgraceful shitposts about Kapler. You morons are too thick-skulled to realize that he's the best thing to ever happen to this franchise. This team was a 73 to 75 win team without him:L

You’re why god said, “God damn humans, why didn’t I stick with dinosaurs”. Kapler does not understand the limits of what he’s doing. No bunting to move runners, putting fastest man alive at 9th, odd placement of Hoskins and Franco in the lineups.

Phils could have squeezed out a few more wins with the aid of the bunt. Why the players decayed for the last two months is hard to explain, the weird lineups may have had something to do with it.

We won 17 more than last year because pitching was great in the first half. Can’t blame second half collapse totally on Kapler, players must perform, but I don’t care for this lazy approach.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whether to laugh at you or give you a doctor's note.
Do explain how this season is whatsoever Kap's fault. Be as specific as possible.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do explain how this season is whatsoever Kap's fault. Be as specific as possible.
No offense.. really but if you don't know I can't explain it to you. His managing prowess is beyond lacking.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you explain sight and color to a blind person.... you can't.
Here, I'll help you out and post what all of Kap's detractors have been saying since the day he was signed, since the first game of the fucking season:
  • Numbers are ruining baseball AHHHHHHH
  • The players are robots who aren't allowed to think for themselves
  • He goes to the bullpen too quickly
  • He uses too many lineups
The first line is just retarded, so I'm not even going to address it. If you still can't get behind the idea that using statistical data in baseball decisions gives teams a competitive advantage, then you're fucking lost. The players are allowed to think for themselves. Just because they have a shift-sheet in their back pocket doesn't mean they're not still playing baseball. How does knowing more about your opponent's tendencies make you worse off? It's this anti-intellectualism in baseball that drives me crazy.

The starters threw 876.1 IP this year, which ranks 16th in baseball. So it's not like Kap didn't ever let his starters go deep into games; they pitched more innings than 14 other ball clubs. The lineup thing is stupid as fuck. You think Rhys Hoskins cares whether he hits 2nd or 4th? I'll give you a hint- he doesn't.

This team's expected win total was 75 games. That's based on Bill James Pythagorean Formula, you can look at it right here. 2018 MLB Baseball Relative Power Index - Major League Baseball - ESPN The Phillies won 80 games. It's customary to attribute those extra wins to a manager's deft moves, but the retard base in Philly is acting like he cost them games.

The fact is, the 2017 Phillies won 66 games. Outside the marginal added value additions of Carlos Santana (1.9 WAR), Jake Arrieta (2.0 WAR), and a full season of Rhys Hoskins (2.9 WAR), the 2018 Phillies had nearly the same roster as the 2017 Phillies. Yet somehow, they finished with 14 more wins. Sure, Arrieta and and Santana helped, but how do you explain that with very similar rosters, old-school, tough-grit Pete Mackanin led his team to 66 wins, while Gape led his team to 80 wins?

You are the problem with Phillies fans. Anti-intellectualism at its proudest (and dumbest).