• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cale Gundy says bad word...resigns.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cale Gundy, a fixture on the Oklahoma sideline and the longest-tenured football coach in the Big 12, resigned Sunday night, saying that he read aloud "a word that I should never -- under any circumstance -- have uttered" off the screen of a player's iPad during a film session last week.

He said he noticed that a player, who was supposed to be taking notes during a film session, was distracted and said he picked up the player's iPad and read the words on the screen, including the unspecified term.

"The unfortunate reality is that someone in my position can cause harm without ever meaning to do so," Gundy wrote in a statement posted to his Twitter account. "In that circumstance, a man of character accepts accountability. I take responsibility for this mistake. I apologize."

Gundy said that in the moment he "did not even realize" what he was reading and, as soon as he did, "I was horrified."

"I want to be very clear: the words I read aloud from that screen were not my words. What I said was not malicious; it wasn't even intentional," Gundy wrote. "Still, I am mature enough to know that the word I said was shameful and hurtful, no matter my intentions."

Gundy noted in his statement that he did not wish to be a distraction.

"I recognize this is a critical moment for Oklahoma football," Gundy wrote. "This team -- its coaches, players, administration and fans -- do not deserve to be distracted by off-the-field matters while working to continue the tradition of excellence that makes me so proud to be a Sooner.

"Naturally, I leave these sidelines heavy hearted. Coaching this football team truly has been my life's passion."

This is beyond ridiculous. Resigns over an honest, benign mistake. Unless, he was looking for a way out and he chose this path. Who knows?

GatorTheo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can white people not know the rule?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So childish and silly. People need to grow up and quit being offended by everything. The fact that he would resign shows that he is a stupid fuck

Fred_Delosantos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMHO, I think he was sort of just reading it aloud, and he's a slow reader, comprehension is delayed, he's a football coach, for goodness sakes, when he realized he read the forbidden word, he probably realized he's fucked, and then concluded that all this woke bullshit, fuck this, i'm outa here, fuck this shit.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMHO, I think he was sort of just reading it aloud, and he's a slow reader, comprehension is delayed, he's a football coach, for goodness sakes, when he realized he read the forbidden word, he probably realized he's fucked, and then concluded that all this woke bullshit, fuck this, i'm outa here, fuck this shit.
Or.... And I know this is tough.... maybe wait until the full story comes out and it's announced that this dumbass did this repeatedly.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or.... And I know this is tough.... maybe wait until the full story comes out and it's announced that this dumbass did this repeatedly.

Can't keep many jobs if you repeatedly say racial slurs

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't keep many jobs if you repeatedly say racial slurs
I could be wrong, but didn't the coach pick up what the player was reading already?
And if that's the case, why did he resign?
Should the player resign from the team for reading the same thing?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the chump tried to say he was appalled when he realized what he said. he lied. Most people think the same way but are smart enough to keep it to themselves in public.