• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bunting's Top 5 2012 QBs

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
There isn’t much the guy can’t do. He deciphers information extremely well, is coordinated in the pocket, accurate delivering the football and is a much better athlete than given credit for when asked to create with his legs. Overall, he’s about as safe a quarterback prospect that there has been in the past ten years.

2. Ryan Tannehill: Texas A&M (6-4, 222)
I know he’s struggled in the second half of games the past two weeks. However, Tannehill does things at the position that is really rare for a guy with only ten career starts. He’s a natural football player with “plus” athleticism/escapability, he can make all the throws and his upside long term gives him the edge as the number two QB prospect in my mind.

3. Matt Barkley: USC (6-2, 220)
He’s not the most physically gifted of kids, but Barkley is a natural leader who displays a real professionalism about his game and has matured each of his first three years at USC. This season he’s doing a much better job finding secondary targets instantly in the face of pressure and getting rid of the football quickly/accurately on all levels of the field. He’s as NFL ready as any prospect on this list outside of Luck.

4. Robert Griffin III: Baylor (6-2, 220)
Griffin is the real wildcard of the class. A lot will be determined on his draft stock over the next couple weeks vs. the jump in competition. But, as of now I see an elite athlete at the position who has exhibited a real development as a pocket passer. He’s got a good feel for the game, has made some big time NFL stick throws this year (skinny post & deep comeback) and tosses one of the prettier bucket throws in the country. Overall, there is simply too much talent, upside and production at time stage to think he’s anything but a potential franchise guy in my mind.

5. Landry Jones: Oklahoma
I’m not a huge fan of Jones and honestly don’t see too much of a difference between his game and say Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden. However, Jones is the much younger prospect with more overall upside and has shown the ability to move the chains at a high level. When the pocket is clean there isn’t a throw Jones can’t make with “plus” touch and ball placement. But, learning to be more efficient in the face of pressure will be his biggest obstacle at the next level.

My top five quarterback prospects | National Football Post

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow, wasn't it just 3 or 4 days ago another writer had Landry Jones 3rd? plus he felt Luck, Barkley, and Jones were top 10 picks? anyways, while neither opinions are "set in stone", this does seem to confirm.....a bunch of top QB prospects in 2012.

this is a good thing cause it provides us more possibilities at QB. at this point, still wouldn't commit to either Alex Smith or CK going forward.

never heard of Robert Griffin III till now.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
QB class is lookin' pretty strong compared to most years; Luck's the only one I really want, but I think there are a few names on there who would be an upgrade for the Niners (even Barkley of whom I'm not a huge fan; especially for a guy projected to go top 10).

Here's hopin' Carolina or Jacksonville get the teh 1st pick & want to trade. Maybe Minnesota.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just don't like jones. honestly i think sam bradford was a lot better. tannehil is not even on the radar for me. i can watch him play and not even think he's a top prospect for the draft.

i'll have to put baylor on my watch list.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB class is lookin' pretty strong compared to most years; Luck's the only one I really want, but I think there are a few names on there who would be an upgrade for the Niners (even Barkley of whom I'm not a huge fan; especially for a guy projected to go top 10).

Here's hopin' Carolina or Jacksonville get the teh 1st pick & want to trade. Maybe Minnesota.

barkley is improving a lot. he might need to sit a year but his game is coming around.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, but are always talking about at least 1 or 2 guys who don't come out. We can't expect that Barkley, Jones, and RG3 will all come out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
barkley is improving a lot. he might need to sit a year but his game is coming around.

Well, I heard he had a good game last week; I didn't see it. I liked his potential a lot, but he just wasn't developing into that quick, accurate, cold-blooded QB I thought he could be IMO. At this point I wouldn't take him in the first round. I think he'd be better off staying for his senior year to see if he can have a Carson Palmer like senior season; but if he were the Niners' QB I would be extremely worried.

I'd rank him behind where I had Locker last year but ahead of You-probably-think-this-song-is-about-you & Ponder. I'd say Cam' Newton too, but I don't want to turn this into a Newton thread...

Clyde, do you agree with the assesment of Tannehill? I haven't seen enough of him to develop much of an opinion yet.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but are always talking about at least 1 or 2 guys who don't come out. We can't expect that Barkley, Jones, and RG3 will all come out.

Yeah, things can change. Luck, Jones, and RG3 were all eligible last year and stayed back.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm undecided on Tannehill. He passes the eye-ball test - strong arm, decent accuracy on all levels of the field, mobile, strong in the pocket. From I've seen though he doesn't exactly have precise feet in the pocket and tends to fold under pressure, and I'd also like to see more him off the play-action.

If I were to stay conservative I'd still say that Luck is the only QB I'd touch in the first round in '12 at this point.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I heard he had a good game last week; I didn't see it. I liked his potential a lot, but he just wasn't developing into that quick, accurate, cold-blooded QB I thought he could be IMO. At this point I wouldn't take him in the first round. I think he'd be better off staying for his senior year to see if he can have a Carson Palmer like senior season; but if he were the Niners' QB I would be extremely worried.

I'd rank him behind where I had Locker last year but ahead of You-probably-think-this-song-is-about-you & Ponder. I'd say Cam' Newton too, but I don't want to turn this into a Newton thread...

Clyde, do you agree with the assesment of Tannehill? I haven't seen enough of him to develop much of an opinion yet.

it was a fun game to watch, granted it was arizona. barkley is miles ahead of locker. much better accuracy and should do well in a wco.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a fun game to watch, granted it was arizona. barkley is miles ahead of locker. much better accuracy and should do well in a wco.

Of course he is. After all, Locker was 7th round pick material.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold at all on Barkley, if Woods was not on USC, he has horrible numbers. His arm is not as strong as people think and his decision making is horrible. Not saying he wont be a Top 10 pick, but he seems the same as Sanchez.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm undecided on Tannehill. He passes the eye-ball test - strong arm, decent accuracy on all levels of the field, mobile, strong in the pocket. From I've seen though he doesn't exactly have precise feet in the pocket and tends to fold under pressure, and I'd also like to see more him off the play-action.

If I were to stay conservative I'd still say that Luck is the only QB I'd touch in the first round in '12 at this point.

I've only Youtubed him, so my opinion on him hasn't manifested as of yet.

And what I see out of Tannehill is a QB who can keep his poise in the pocket, has decent footwork, but has accuracy issues. When you say, "tends to fold under pressure" do you mean in the moment or under duress? because at least in the videos I've seen :) the guy looks very calm back there with rushers baring down on him.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold at all on Barkley, if Woods was not on USC, he has horrible numbers. His arm is not as strong as people think and his decision making is horrible. Not saying he wont be a Top 10 pick, but he seems the same as Sanchez.

I wouldn't go as far as Woods is the only reason he has any numbers. Woods is great and is helping him out a lot, but he is the one getting him the ball. With this logic, without Barkley...Woods would have horrible numbers.

I think Barkley needs to stay one more year. Right now I think that Luck is the only guy I would want out of this class. But Griffin though, has so much upside it would be tough to pass him up if he is there.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get the Barkley hype. I don't watch a ton of USC games though, but when I do I just don't see it in him. I'm sure some team will take him in the 1st round though. I mean NFL teams throw top picks at guys like Sanchez, Ponder, and Locker. The QB position always gets over drafted every year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll add that he has shit for improvisational skills. Once the play breaks down it's pretty much over. He offers jack once he moves outside the pocket. He throws outs and check downs to his slot WR like 90% of the time. This guy has done nothing and for not even very long and he's suddenly rated the #2 QB? I've never seen this happen before. Take away two good games against Kansas and Texas Tech a year ago and this guy is a joke. He's been a trainwreck his last two games. Yeah this bugs me.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RGIII could end up being scary good.

Yup! He's a guy Harbaugh could develop and make him to be very special. He is still raw which is a great thing for Haubaugh IMO. If I can't get Luck or Barkley I may opt to see what we have in Kap.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Clyde, do you agree with the assesment of Tannehill[/B]? I haven't seen enough of him to develop much of an opinion yet.

Not me! Why...? Well, because we have the pieces in place for him to come in and explode. Coaching, Running game, elite TE, a very good 3rd down back. Two dangerous receivers (Edwards/Crab). If Dalton can do it, Barkley will do it at a much higher level of play.