• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Banks "what I was waiting for"

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What most viewed as an afterthought of an exhibition game seemed more like a Super Bowl to Brian Banks.
Is it any wonder?
“It was out of control,” the Falcons’ linebacker said, beaming in the locker room after his NFL debut in Thursday night’s preseason game against Cincinnati at the Georgia Dome. “Just running out there -- the flames, the cheers, the crowd. I wasn’t nervous at all but just the emotion of running through the tunnel, the adrenalin that comes with it, is better than any rollercoaster ride you could get on.”
The story is familiar by now. He spent five years in prison and another four years and two months on probation for a crime he didn’t commit. Exoneration gave him his freedom back. But it couldn’t give him back the years he lost, or the football scholarship to USC that would’ve been waiting for him after high school graduation in Long Beach, Calif., or his best chance to have an NFL career.
Until Thursday’s exhibition debut with the Falcons, Banks’ most recent football action had been limited to flag football games in a prison yard (“We played flag football, but they really didn’t use the flags. There was a lot of tackling.”) and two games with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the now-defunct United Football League.
“That was just playing football. It was nothing like this," he said.
Before the Bengals' final offensive series of the game, Falcons linebackers coach Glenn Pires told Banks, "You're up next."
There was only 7:57 remaining when he entered. The Falcons trailed 34-10. But Banks felt like he had been shot out of a cannon.
He didn't wait three and a half quarters for this. He waited 11 years.
Even just standing on the sideline, he said, was “a feeling that you definitely take to the grave.
"You’re out there watching the other linebackers play, doing their thing and just being patient. I was enjoying the whole thing. This is what I was waiting for the whole time. I played an NFL game today.”
He was credited with one tackle. He actually made two. He reached out to trip up Cincinnati running back Daniel Herron on one rush, but the tackle was credited to Pat Schiller. (The public address announcer announced, “Tackle by Brian Banks” and the some-10,000 fans still in attendance cheered.) But Banks did get credit for another tackle on Herron two plays later.
Banks knows he is a longshot to make the team, but it’s not as if that pressure is going to weigh on him. He’s living his dream right now.
“Do I have to make it?” Banks asked, repeating a reporter’s question afterward. “I don’t feel like I have to, but I want to -- not just for myself but for my family, for the people who’ve supported me and believed in me. For people who’ve lost hope in their own [life]. If I can be some kind of vessel, to show people that no matter the hard time you experienced, you can still succeed, I want to put out that positive energy, to never quit and never give up.”
He again credited his teammates for support and encouragement, commenting, “These guys have been working on this their whole life, from Pop Warner to high school to college to the NFL. So for them to accept me and let me be a part of it and show what I can do is more than I can ask for.”
When the game ended, Banks said, he was greeted immediately on the field by Cincinnati linebacker Ray Maualuga. “He’s one of my good buddies. We trained together back in L.A. He was the first one to run up to me and gave me a big hug and told me to keep working hard.”
Here's the best news for Banks: The Falcons play again next week

Brian Banks: 'This is what I was waiting for' | Jeff Schultz | www.ajc.com

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see this guy make the team. He was screwed from the start. A football star accused of raping a girl in high school. There was no way he wasn't getting convicted.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played pretty damn well too

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im really rooting for this guy.. a testement to perservierence..

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Story. You Gotta Think he will end up at least on someones practice squad this year. Unless the PS has an age restriction.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was such an unfortunate story and wish him nothing but the best to further his NFL career. Couldnt even imagine going through the things he did, especially being innocent and that bitch of his is walking freely (at least was).

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Atlanta signed him for another reason. They wanted a feel good story like the saints have got.

Ghoonsquad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great story. Hope it end well. The movie will be great.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Atlanta signed him for another reason. They wanted a feel good story like the saints have got.

I agree...putting a bounty on players is such a feel good story

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been in ATL 18 yrs and I'm finally starting to get it. Even with a SB in tow, Saints fans will always feel like the red headed stepchild.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we're not the red headed step child. Thats you? And no matter if you win this year, we still have the numbers. SP 7 Smith 3

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...putting a bounty on players is such a feel good story

No I'm talking about Drew Brees defeating the odds and proving his naysayers wrong about his shoulder. The team that everyone always deemed losers that came out of nowhere to be major contenders. The falcons can only think that they're a rootable team but throwing eggs on tour buses, impersonating a man with ALS on a radio show shows the lack of class your fanbase has. I'd be ashamed to be a saints fan if a fan of my team did that and Gleason was a falcon. Now falcons think if Banks makes the team and plays well it gives them good press and makes their sb aspirations look good since these days its always a sob story winning a superbowl. Ray retiring with two rings, Giants saving Coughlin with a 2nd ring, ARod overcoming the Favre odds. Every year is a story. Blank wants his team to look good in the eyes of the national audience.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm talking about Drew Brees defeating the odds and proving his naysayers wrong about his shoulder. The team that everyone always deemed losers that came out of nowhere to be major contenders. The falcons can only think that they're a rootable team but throwing eggs on tour buses, impersonating a man with ALS on a radio show shows the lack of class your fanbase has. I'd be ashamed to be a saints fan if a fan of my team did that and Gleason was a falcon. Now falcons think if Banks makes the team and plays well it gives them good press and makes their sb aspirations look good since these days its always a sob story winning a superbowl. Ray retiring with two rings, Giants saving Coughlin with a 2nd ring, ARod overcoming the Favre odds. Every year is a story. Blank wants his team to look good in the eyes of the national audience.

Gleason's story > Banks

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word around camp is that he might get cut b/c Pat Schiller is having such a good preseason, hopefully he'll make the practice squad

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is a Saints fan really preaching about class and dignity? If you can take the actions of a few and use that to paint an entire fanbase....

Hey Brees #1, I will give you 500 bucks if you take out that guys ACL. Lets do it the classy New Orleans way!!! At least with Atlanta its just a couple stupid fans or raido personalities, in New Orleans the evil comes from deep within the team and organization.