• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING: D-backs, Marte agree on 5-year deal

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

Has he improved that much in 18 months or so ?

I never saw that much talent from him when he was with the M's. He booted a ton of routine ground balls. Did not even have warning track power and was a mediocre slap hitter at best.

article here

D-backs, Ketel Marte agree on 5-year extension

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny about this is I had some drinks with a buddy of mine yesterday, and the first thing he mentioned when the topic turned to baseball was how excited he is for Marte this year; my buddy is a big D-Backs fan here in AZ. I never would have thought this when the trade went down, but it's Ketel Marte that has made the trade as even of a trade as it seems to have become. I still think that the Mariners actually end up winning this trade when we look back, but Haniger needs to stay healthy to display his complete abilities. Walker is what he is at this point, but never did or will become what we thought he could be as the heir to the King. That being said, I always liked Marte and hope he continues to succeed.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it makes sense for both sides. D-Backs bought some arb years on a guy that is serviceable but has a lot of potential. When Marte was with the Mariners you could tell there was some talent there but it was super super raw, he still is raw. He is still very young and has potential to be a good player time will tell if he can tap into that potential or not.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it makes sense for both sides. D-Backs bought some arb years on a guy that is serviceable but has a lot of potential. When Marte was with the Mariners you could tell there was some talent there but it was super super raw, he still is raw. He is still very young and has potential to be a good player time will tell if he can tap into that potential or not.

That was my thought. Cheap for the team and a life changing deal for Marte. Win-Win.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still rather have Segura.

I think it is Marte vs Haniger, then Segura vs Walker. Much rather have Segura and Haniger or Marte but having Walker locked in as the 4 or maybe 3 with all these AAAA pitchers battling it out for number 5 would made me feel more optimistic about the season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is Marte vs Haniger, then Segura vs Walker. Much rather have Segura and Haniger or Marte but having Walker locked in as the 4 or maybe 3 with all these AAAA pitchers battling it out for number 5 would made me feel more optimistic about the season.

The thing is it would would be a huge win for M's if only they signed a SP of value this season. Trading talent for talent w/o reserves doesn't make you a better team and that just irks the hell out of me.

I think as it stands, Segura over Marte all day long but Walker for Haniger is a loss only because we have no pitching and OF can be replaced a lot easier. Again, signing a Lynn or pitcher of value makes that portion of the trade a win for M's and an overall huge win for M's.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is it would would be a huge win for M's if only they signed a SP of value this season. Trading talent for talent w/o reserves doesn't make you a better team and that just irks the hell out of me.

I think as it stands, Segura over Marte all day long but Walker for Haniger is a loss only because we have no pitching and OF can be replaced a lot easier. Again, signing a Lynn or pitcher of value makes that portion of the trade a win for M's and an overall huge win for M's.

I think the one year pitching deals is a frustration for everyone. I'm not 100% sure how the luxury cap works with the loss of a pick but how does it put back the organization at all if they add $10-14 million or even these 4 or 5 year deals the team can get out of after 2. It's not a Cano or Felix type deal where you can't get out of it unless you eat a majority of the contract. Should have signed Lynn or Cobb and if the season goes south deal them.

I just can't see a downside outside of ego. If Jerry signed a guy who makes the staff and Erasmo or Marco get DFA'd then it's mud on Jerry face or if Andrew Moore doesn't have a path to the bigs it's mud on his face for his man crushing on him last year.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Proj. .267 .327 .386 .713

The above is BA OBP SLG and OPS

he has 8 HR's in 968 plate appearances so power is never going to be his thing

Yea he has above avg base path speed as any young middle infielder would

Hey if the AZ fans like that deal ... I am happy for both them and Katels fat bank acct now.

I was really shocked to see that deal get done at that price range