• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowman extension?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good points. Remember though that Bowman actually did hold his own when Willis was out as well. Obviously he didn't make a ton of sacks and has no FF's, but he did play well even with Willis out. If we were to trade him this year i wonder what we could get for him?

All though the FO probably didn't realize he was going to have an impact so quickly in this league, i would think that the long term plan is to re-sign him to a contract when his runs out. The Ravens were able to keep Ray Lewis and Bart Scott for years and now it's a similar situation with Scott and David Harris for the Jets.

I'm sure we can find a way to make the contract work when the time comes. At that point we will probably be getting ready to lose Justin Smith to retirement. That may open up the cap space that we need. If we could get good value for him i wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but i find it hard to imagine that we just let him walk when his contract runs out.

Scott played for 7 years in Baltimore. For the first 3 he was a backup. It isn't as if he made a big splash in his rookie contract and got a big second contract from Baltimore. Once he had established himself, he left.

It also isn't about having the means to pay Bowman, it's about the expense to the team as a whole. Can we afford to have two ILBs both making in the 10M range annually? I think that money can be better spent elsewhere. Much like Arizona decided with Fitz and Boldin. It's nice to have two Pro Bowl WRs, but is it good for the team?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I never advocated signing Bowman to a long term deal now. I was just curious about that option since it is an option.

I know you're a big fan of Mathis and Carl Nicks, but i have a problem paying a 31 year old vet big money to learn a new position when Brooks can probably be signed for a more reasonable price and has proven that he can hold down that role in our Defense.

Carl Nicks is going for a huge contract. He wants to be paid more than Jahri Evans and i just don't think he's worth it to come in and play RG. If we move him to replace Iupati, then Iupati has to make the switch and learn how to play RG. I just think it makes more sense to look at other options. It's the same problem i had with Logan Mankins. You can't question how great of players Nicks and Mankins are, but i would rather spend the money on other options. I'd rather have a WR or a DB like Grimes or Greer. I thionk we can find someone in the draft to replace Snyder.

Mathis and Nicks were just examples. They won't be available in their 2011/12 incarnation when Bowman is a free agent.

It's about the team makeup overall though. Is it better for the team to dump 20M into ILB between two guys at the expense of other positions? We're going to have to address other positions during that Bowman contract. Aldon Smith will be a FA not long after. If he plays at the level he did this year (no improvement at all), would you be willing to let him walk to satisfy Bowman's All Pro ILB contract? How about Culliver? If he develops into a solid starting CB, would you be willing to let a starting CB walk in exchange for our 2nd best ILB?

You're right that Bowman played well in Willis' absence (this is from another post of yours), but so did Grant. He was still playing behind the same DL and with the same DBs. One guy was out of the line-up those weeks. Did you feel like Bowman stepped up his game with Willis out? I didn't think he did. I didn't find him anymore noticeable. In fact, Grant stood out quite well in those games, not Bowman.

He's a very good player, he could be a great player in two years. However, because of his position and the make-up of this team, he's expendable.

Also, Brooks is apparently looking for 8M per year.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would extend him after next season if he is willing to extend at a lower overall deal in exchange for an extra couple years at a higher salary with more guaranteed money. Something like 5 yr/25 mil w/ 15 guaranteed. It sounds low but its a significant upgrade in pay from what he is getting right now.

I think that if the Niners continue to look to extend their players before they hit FA, the players will see it as an appreciated gesture, something that may or may not sway them into continuing to sign team friendly deals.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that if the Niners continue to look to extend their players before they hit FA, the players will see it as an appreciated gesture, something that may or may not sway them into continuing to sign team friendly deals.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think that is one of the things that the front office has done well. They have done it with a number of players like Staley,Willis, etc.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott played for 7 years in Baltimore. For the first 3 he was a backup. It isn't as if he made a big splash in his rookie contract and got a big second contract from Baltimore. Once he had established himself, he left.

It also isn't about having the means to pay Bowman, it's about the expense to the team as a whole. Can we afford to have two ILBs both making in the 10M range annually? I think that money can be better spent elsewhere. Much like Arizona decided with Fitz and Boldin. It's nice to have two Pro Bowl WRs, but is it good for the team?

If Bowman is seeking 10 mil per year, then i would definitely say no. If we have the cap room, then i would consider franchising him.

At least the Cards got a 1st round pick for Boldin. If we can get a first round pick for Bowman then i am all for it, but i doubt anybody would give up a 1st for an ILB. Maybe a team like the Packers, Pats, or Ravens that usually have late round picks, but i just don't see how we can let him walk if we can find the cap space to afford him.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis and Nicks were just examples. They won't be available in their 2011/12 incarnation when Bowman is a free agent.

It's about the team makeup overall though. Is it better for the team to dump 20M into ILB between two guys at the expense of other positions? We're going to have to address other positions during that Bowman contract. Aldon Smith will be a FA not long after. If he plays at the level he did this year (no improvement at all), would you be willing to let him walk to satisfy Bowman's All Pro ILB contract? How about Culliver? If he develops into a solid starting CB, would you be willing to let a starting CB walk in exchange for our 2nd best ILB?

You're right that Bowman played well in Willis' absence (this is from another post of yours), but so did Grant. He was still playing behind the same DL and with the same DBs. One guy was out of the line-up those weeks. Did you feel like Bowman stepped up his game with Willis out? I didn't think he did. I didn't find him anymore noticeable. In fact, Grant stood out quite well in those games, not Bowman.

He's a very good player, he could be a great player in two years. However, because of his position and the make-up of this team, he's expendable.

Also, Brooks is apparently looking for 8M per year.

I know Nicks and Mathis were just examples, but those are guys Sickness has expressed interest in for the 9ers in FA, so that was just my 2 cents on those guys in particular.

You bring up a good point about Grant. I'm not trying to say that we should value our 2nd ILB more than other positions, but i think from a talent stand point we should make the move if it fits into our cap.

I wouldn't re-sign Bowman over Culliver or Aldon Smith, but those contracts would be the following year. I would hope that Paraag Marathe and Larry Macneil could figure out the contracts to find ways to work around the big contracts like they did with Willis for next year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just to clarify Nicks isn't very high on my list of wants; I think there's much better value in the draft. But if the Niners went all out & signed him I'd be happier with that than signing an expensive WR.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify Nicks isn't very high on my list of wants; I think there's much better value in the draft. But if the Niners went all out & signed him I'd be happier with that than signing an expensive WR.

Noted. Which WR's would you rather see us sign over Nicks?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Isnt Willis on average making about 7.5mil a year? Obviously dont see Bowman getting more then him.

And for Brooks asking for 8mil a year, thats crazy. Close to double what he is worth IMO. Probably have to look for his replacement in the draft unfortunately.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Noted. Which WR's would you rather see us sign over Nicks?

None of 'em really. Maybe Wayne or Garcon if the Niners signed Manning.

Nicks will probably get around the same amount of money as Vjax. I'd much rather have Nicks for the money.

The only WR I'd want for big money is Wallace, but I wouldn't want to part with the 30th pick. So I say go to the draft for WRs and spend the money on other positions.

And OL is a position of need. I think the OG draft is deep this year, but you never know who'll be there.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of 'em really. Maybe Wayne or Garcon if the Niners signed Manning.

Nicks will probably get around the same amount of money as Vjax. I'd much rather have Nicks for the money.

The only WR I'd want for big money is Wallace, but I wouldn't want to part with the 30th pick. So I say go to the draft for WRs and spend the money on other positions.

And OL is a position of need. I think the OG draft is deep this year, but you never know who'll be there.

I agree with you. Besides Garcon and Wayne there aren't really any WR's i would want us to big on. Wallace of course is the exception.

The thing about looking at the draft for WR's this year is...i don't really like anybody besides Blackmon and to a lesser extent Michael Floyd. I'm still hoping Ryan Broyles can bounce back from that ACL injury, but obviously it's a big risk. Jeff Fuller maybe, but i don't really see anybody after Blackmon and Floyd who could potentially come in and make a difference right away. I think Kendall Wright and Alshon Jeffery will both end up being busts and are not worth the gamble.