• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bought new headlamps w/ running lights - help

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really foggy crossing the bridge sometimes and, with the idiot snowbirds now on the roads, I thought having running lights might be a good idea on my 73 mustang.

They're simple. The headlight part plugs in just like any other...takes 2 seconds. But each has 2 red and 2 black tiny wires coming out for the strip of LEDs on each side of the headlight. Like these:

1991281QWF.jpg

So, I put them in and got the headlights pointed correctly. I connected the 2 reds and 2 blacks each to #20 wire and had it all set to connect to something that would turn the LEDs on when the car is running and off when not.

So, WTF do I connect them to?? I don't want to run those wires all the way under the dash to the ignition module. That's a PITA. There must be something else, closer, that has juice only when the car is on? Can't I just attach them to the voltage regulator somehow...or something??

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to think what you could splice into only when the ignition is on.

How about the radio.
Maybe the windshield wiper motor.
The blower motor for the heat/ac.

These things couldn't be pulling much juice at all.

Just thought, why not splice into the running lights you have now, and just a flip of the switch they could be on or off. It has to be right there in the same place.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what's the prognoses
did you get it all hooked up??

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit...got so slammed at work I had to go on a SportsHoopla fast for a week. I still haven't figured this fucker out.

They LEDs can't pull 2 or 3 watts. So, you'd think anything hot with ignition would work. But it hasn't so far. I wired the neg to the battery and the positive to the voltage regulator and the LEDs blinked really fast for some reason. Then I tried the new A/C I had put in and the lights only came on when the A/C was on...dammit. Imma' have to give up and stop by my A/C guy and ask him - but that hurts my pride.

This is an internet pic but exactly what we're looking at. It seems almost everything has the relay under the dash somewhere rather than under the hood where I could find a hot wire. I like his horn!

73_Ford_Mustang_DV-05_HS_03.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about the hot going to the coil/distributer. isn't that only hot when the ignition is turned on?
looks like it's right there where you need it.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the coil. Do I dare fuck with the coil? It seems kind of important but I could make sure to put these connections on top of the important stuff so the coil juice doesn't have to run through the LED connection first.
I might try that tomorrow because the coil is nice and close and convenient. I was just reading somewhere somebody suggested any sensor...like the temp or oil pressure or whatever. They're always hot when it's running. So, maybe I can find one of those somewhere close.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't figure out the alternator because the hot lead is connected to the battery so the lights would stay on all the time. On the other side, the juice from the alt. flashes with the speed of the engine...looks crazy and will probably ruin the lights.

I can't figure out the starter either. Same thing with the flashing. I guess it has to pass through the voltage regulator to prevent the flash. I stuck the wires in some little box connected to the voltage regulator and they are working. I smelled something burning...but let's just hope that goes away. :thumb:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still thinking that your running lights/side marker lights are the way to go.
they have to be right there in the same place.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff from China is so damned cheap on AliExpress and Ebay, I'll just leave 'em plugged into the voltage regulator and if they fry I'll do it right next time. The pair were 25 bucks...and they're really nice!

The side marker lights are definitely the right way to do it. But if I have the throw a switch, I'll accidentally leave them on about twice a week and end up stranded somewhere just to have halo LEDs. So, fuck it...why not give the wrong way a chance?!

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resistors are your friend.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
So are professionals. I should've just had the flunkies at the BP station do it for me.

LOL!! Would have been done by now for sure.
What about the solenoid? There has to be a lead that only powers up with the ignition, for Pete's sake..

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yeah, that's where it's plugged in now. But it still flashes with the rev of the engine. I was talking to a client who has had several classics and he said one of the brushes in my alt. might be stuck or broken...so, as it spins there's a gap in the juice that only shows up with something as instant as led lights. Weird. No matter what I try (and I had out the wire tester testing everything I could find and it doesn't blink but the light do) the lights flash like a disco strobe when the engine is on. When it's off, they stay on normally with battery power.

So, guess I have to check the alt before it fries the a/c or something expensive.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the problem has been solved. I put a new alternator on today and there's no more led blinkage.

All alternators today have a voltage regulator inside. However, old ones do not and you have to have a separate regulator. Well, for some reason that old shit made led lights blink with the alternator spin.

Is there anything to be learned from this? Probably not except modern electronics are likely to be unhappy if you still have an old style alternator and voltage regulator.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice...that white interior package has got to go in your Stang...of course a light brown leather/vinyl decor would sharpen that beast up in a flash, carpet as well.

Might give you at least 50 more horses too.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice...that white interior package has got to go in your Stang...of course a light brown leather/vinyl decor would sharpen that beast up in a flash, carpet as well.

Might give you at least 50 more horses too.

I kinda' like it! They're cool to sit on even when out in the sun. I just put new front seats in that are white trim with black velvety stuff in the middle. They're those high racing seats. But the entire interior is black except for the seat trim and the doors. Anything black in the FL sun will burn your ass to shit! I like natural leather interiors, but I just don't think it would work on this old girl.

The car is running so nicely that I don't want to change anything! It hit 45k miles this week. So, I'm just going to drive it until some old snowbird hits it. Then, I'll change everything and get all the panels lined-up right, repainted and all that.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda' like it! They're cool to sit on even when out in the sun. I just put new front seats in that are white trim with black velvety stuff in the middle. They're those high racing seats. But the entire interior is black except for the seat trim and the doors. Anything black in the FL sun will burn your ass to shit! I like natural leather interiors, but I just don't think it would work on this old girl.

The car is running so nicely that I don't want to change anything! It hit 45k miles this week. So, I'm just going to drive it until some old snowbird hits it. Then, I'll change everything and get all the panels lined-up right, repainted and all that.

Good plan. :clap: