• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boeheim to Retire in 3 Years

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Shit....He finally listed a timeframe for retirement.

Extract from a letter sent out today by the school....

I have also had recent discussions with Coach Boeheim about the Infractions Committee Report, and the future of his team and program. Coach Boeheim has assured me that he will respond thoughtfully and appropriately to the serious findings of the Infractions Committee Report. Coach Boeheim has also told me that he intends to retire as Head Coach in three years. His goal in making this decision and announcement now is to bring certainty to the team and program in the coming years, and enable and plan for a successful, longer-term transition in coaching leadership. Coach Boeheim’s commitment to ensuring that the men’s basketball program remains strong even after his tenure is just one more example of his deep loyalty to our University.

syverudsigblack.jpg

Chancellor Kent Syverud

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From syraucse.com

Jim Boeheim will retire from Syracuse basketball in three years | syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. — Jim Boeheim will spend three more years on the sidelines before retiring as part of an agreement between the Hall of Fame coach and Syracuse officials.

Syracuse officials made the announcement in the wake of the NCAA's penalties against the SU basketball program, which were announced less than two weeks ago.

The move comes on the heels of Wednesday's announcement that Daryl Gross is out as Syracuse athletic director.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to go on...

He's won, his contemporaries are mostly retired or on the way there, and his beloved Big East is no more.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy to see him stick around through the scholly suspensions. I think it's a good idea anyways to keep the program moving in a positive direction.

Yes, I agree. Also hope the NCAA gets their head out of their asses and returns all those wins. Stupid move by the always overreaching NCAA.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that he shouldn't retire whenever he wants; but to have it put out to the public? I can't see that as a good move. Pitino did that a few years ago and quickly rescinded it.

Why would any player now choose Cuse when they know that he will be gone before they graduate?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that he shouldn't retire whenever he wants; but to have it put out to the public? I can't see that as a good move. Pitino did that a few years ago and quickly rescinded it.

Why would any player now choose Cuse when they know that he will be gone before they graduate?

Apples and Oranges. Boeheim will never leave the Syracuse program and his history speaks to that. Unlike RP who was at HI, SU, Prov, UK, Boston and UofL. Those are just the schools I remember off the top of my head.

Boeheim has always been at SU and will be able to continue that appearence long into retirmement. Probably longer than the new HC will want. :suds:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apples and Oranges. Boeheim will never leave the Syracuse program and his history speaks to that. Unlike RP who was at HI, SU, Prov, UK, Boston and UofL. Those are just the schools I remember off the top of my head.

Boeheim has always been at SU and will be able to continue that appearence long into retirmement. Probably longer than the new HC will want. :suds:

I get that, Lute has stuck around too. But Boeheim won't be blowing the whistle in practice, nor will he be drawing up plays during the game. All he has done is put recruits in a position that they will have to deal with an imminent coaching change in the middle of their career at Cuse. They have no idea who the new coach is or how that will go. All they know is that it is going to happen, and they need to have that in mind when they decide on a school.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins has long been considered Syracuse's "Head Coach in Waiting".

Chancellor Kent Syverud's statement today did not mention Hopkins, who played under Boeheim for four years, ending his athletic career after the 1992-93 season. Boeheim hired Hopkins as an assistant basketball coach in 1995.

But he is the guy. SU's bball history is one comparable to any in the nation. KU, UK, UNC....these teams lose coaches and eventually bounce back and often don't miss a beat from one man to the next.

Other than the 12 scholly's SU is losing, I don't see recruiting being devestated by this announcement because Boeheim isn't really going anywhere. Just stepping aside.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a play by JB to get the press off his ass. What he's doing makes perfect sense. he just broke the press. That's all.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Archie Miller to Cuse? If he's still at Dayton 3 years from now by some miracle then I could see that being a fit.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins has long been considered Syracuse's "Head Coach in Waiting".

Chancellor Kent Syverud's statement today did not mention Hopkins, who played under Boeheim for four years, ending his athletic career after the 1992-93 season. Boeheim hired Hopkins as an assistant basketball coach in 1995.

But he is the guy. SU's bball history is one comparable to any in the nation. KU, UK, UNC....these teams lose coaches and eventually bounce back and often don't miss a beat from one man to the next.

Other than the 12 scholly's SU is losing, I don't see recruiting being devestated by this announcement because Boeheim isn't really going anywhere. Just stepping aside.

Who knows. I think it's strange that a coach from a top program like that would set a retirement date. Has that happened at any of the top tier programs? If so, how did that turn out? I think that while coaching positions certainly change at these programs, the decision as to when is usually made rather abruptly. I also understand that retiring doesn't happens in a vacuum without planning prior, for a replacement.

It's pretty crazy to me that a top program like that would put everything on an assistant without a single year as head coach under his belt. I get that Ollie is doing it (which I think the jury is still out regarding), but did Calhoun set his retirement date years out, or months out? At that point the players are already there, and at least know Ollie.

I just think it's an interesting move.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Podcast was pretty much dedicated to the subject.

They seem to be of the opinion that Cuse won't get an A-lister to replace him, and that depending on the new AD, he might not even make it the full 3 years.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also had a discussion a few weeks ago about the fact that in the next few years a half dozen plus great old coaches will be retiring in a cluster. We talked about Boeheim, K, Williams, Pitino, and even coaches like Beilein, Bo Ryan, and Izzo.

I wonder if anyone else calls their date that many years in advance.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows. I think it's strange that a coach from a top program like that would set a retirement date. Has that happened at any of the top tier programs? If so, how did that turn out? I think that while coaching positions certainly change at these programs, the decision as to when is usually made rather abruptly. I also understand that retiring doesn't happens in a vacuum without planning prior, for a replacement.

It's pretty crazy to me that a top program like that would put everything on an assistant without a single year as head coach under his belt. I get that Ollie is doing it (which I think the jury is still out regarding), but did Calhoun set his retirement date years out, or months out? At that point the players are already there, and at least know Ollie.

I just think it's an interesting move.

It's not that strange... it just wasn't his idea. guarantee he was forced to set a date by the administration at Cuse. They want to put all of this ugliness behind them and that includes Boeheim. Yeah, he's earned the right to retire under his own terms, and I think to a degree the administration let him pick, but they weren't going to just let him walk away into the sunset.

It's just like the post-season ban. Boeheim wanted no part of it but the administration negotiated with the NCAA and that's what ya get. Timing is the same too... Wait for a huge day in sports, so the story gets burried, just like the post season ban announcement.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that strange... it just wasn't his idea. guarantee he was forced to set a date by the administration at Cuse. They want to put all of this ugliness behind them and that includes Boeheim. Yeah, he's earned the right to retire under his own terms, and I think to a degree the administration let him pick, but they weren't going to just let him walk away into the sunset.

It's just like the post-season ban. Boeheim wanted no part of it but the administration negotiated with the NCAA and that's what ya get. Timing is the same too... Wait for a huge day in sports, so the story gets burried, just like the post season ban announcement.

Well, to announce leaving in 3 years is pretty strange. Probably unprecedented, at least at a school like Cuse. And the podcast pretty much reflected my concerns. I forgot to add in there the scholarship reduction in addition to recruiting instability. I also failed to consider the decisions of an AD that they don't have yet, to further instability.

This has the potential to turn into a mess.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way Trolly, thanks for that link, it was pretty insightful.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to announce leaving in 3 years is pretty strange. Probably unprecedented, at least at a school like Cuse. And the podcast pretty much reflected my concerns. I forgot to add in there the scholarship reduction in addition to recruiting instability. I also failed to consider the decisions of an AD that they don't have yet, to further instability.

This has the potential to turn into a mess.

Yeah, I agree that it is pretty unprecedented in a number of ways, but also given the context of the sanctions at the school and whatnot, it makes sense.

Things at Cuse will get worse before they get better though.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree that it is pretty unprecedented in a number of ways, but also given the context of the sanctions at the school and whatnot, it makes sense.

Things at Cuse will get worse before they get better though.

Agree on all that. And if the AD comes in and fires B to replace him with Hopkins, and that doesn't work out, then they could also be sitting right in the middle of a coaching replacement auction with some serious big dogs of CBB with much less of an appealing location/recruiting/stability/prestige offer.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on all that. And if the AD comes in and fires B to replace him with Hopkins, and that doesn't work out, then they could also be sitting right in the middle of a coaching replacement auction with some serious big dogs of CBB with much less of an appealing location/recruiting/stability/prestige offer.

I think if the new AD is "serious" enough to ax Boeheim early (presumably in the name of cleaning things up) I don't think he could conceivably promote Hopkins. I think after all is said and done regardless of if it's next season or 3 from now, I think Cuse hire an outside guy.