• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob interview

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chatting with Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky about Bryzgalov, trading Carter/Richards, Pronger as captain and life as newlywed - Puck Daddy - NHLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Here's a piece that interested me.

Q. What did you learn in your first year in the NHL?

BOBROVSKY: I learned a lot when it comes to American life and hockey. I saw what a serious team with big ambitions is. I saw how athletes and their relatives are treated; how a coach works with you at practices. Skating, techniques, physiological training; how to survive the marathon that the NHL regular season is, when there are games every other day and you are under pressure every time. And then a new season starts — the playoffs, and the pressure there is even greater, and you are not allowed to lose. An entire world opened up for me!

What did you keep as a memento from the debut year?

The puck from the first game when we played at the Pittsburgh Penguins. Also the League framed an official game sheet from that game and sent it to me.

Were you surprised when the Flyers traded captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?

I heard the news when I was in Greece. I went online and exclaimed from the surprise. Carter and Richards are two big players and persons for Philadelphia. The backbone of the team. The captain and his assistant. I couldn't imagine they would both leave in one sweep.

Is it true that Chris Pronger(notes) was the real captain in the locker room?

It all depends. The team didn't have a rule that only the person wearing a 'C' could talk. When needed, everyone had a chance to say something, not just Pronger, but Richards, Briere, Giroux… Everyone gave advice, motivated their teammates.

And this summer the Flyers signed a contract with Ilya Bryzgalov placing a barrier on the way of a rookie Sergei Bobrovsky.

Actually Bryzgalov's arrival didn't shock me. Every newspaper wrote that goaltending is Philadelphia's weakest spot. Additionally, Ilya was first traded to us and only a week later he signed his contract. It wasn't a surprise.

I don't agree about the barrier. Brian Boucher's(notes) contract expired. Michael Leighton(notes) stayed. Bryzgalov came. But I don't care what last names team goaltenders have. I have my own goals, objectives. I want to help Philadelphia and will continue to improve my game.

Ilya Bryzgalov told Sovetsky Sport that this is "wolf's world. Especially for goaltenders. There are so many of them and there is only one place in goal."

I agree. Competition is very tough. No one wants to be number two… Of course we won't sharpen each other's skates. But healthy working relationship is the engine for progress.

There was a consistent talk that Flyers' General Manager Paul Holmgren was going to trade Bobrovsky. The Flyers have a few goaltenders and your [cap hit] is quite high. What can you say about that?

These are just rumors.

Maybe you asked for a trade yourself through your agent? Semyon Varlamov(notes) moved from Washington to Colorado and now he has different horizons in front of him.

I didn't even have it in my thoughts to ask for a trade! Nothing terrible happened. There is just a new person in the club. Why should I move to a different team because of that? I like everything in Philadelphia. I want to compete for a roster spot, to play for the Stanley Cup with the guys. We have an ambitious club.

Do you know Bryzgalov?

We have never met. We'll see each other in Philadelphia.

How many games do you think you will play next season? Guys like Bryzgalov usually get 60-70 games per season.

I also want to play every game. The more the better. And as far as how many that will be, the coach will decide.

But Bryzgalov has a 9-year, $51 million contract. And you have a two-way deal in accordance with which you may end up in the farm club at any time.

What I understood from last season is that if you play well, show the result, then you play for the first team. If not, you are benched. A contract is not playing, a person is.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a premium interview with many excellences in quotations. In reality, I did enjoy the candid speakings from his face mouth.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a premium interview with many excellences in quotations. In reality, I did enjoy the candid speakings from his face mouth.

I enjoy what you did there.

I'm really impressed with the way he's conducting himself. He knows that Bryz is the guy, but he doesn't care. He's not going to let it slow him down or tern him away from the franchise.

On the Flyers front office side, it may be time to put him on the block. He's young, so there will be a lot of interest and the return could be really effective. They've locked themselves in with Bryz's contract (as I understand), so why waste Bob's value?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we won't sharpen each other's skates

thats awesome. I love the russian interviews :)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was making a joking above, but it was a really good interview. I liked that he was very candid about certain things without giving away too much. Very smart interview from Bobrovsky, and I'm kidding about his English. It pwns my Russian! :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely a good interview from bob.. read it last night.. i love how committed he is to being the best player he can and providing whatever he can for the team

it wouldn't surprise me at all to see grumblings that he should be the starter at some point in the season.. this is phila-theresalwaysgoaltendingquestions-phia

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wouldn't surprise me at all to see grumblings that he should be the starter at some point in the season.. this is phila-theresalwaysgoaltendingquestions-phia

Doesn't roll of the tongue quite like "This is Sparta," does it.

;)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't roll of the tongue quite like "This is Sparta," does it.

;)

actually i've heard so many people have had trouble they've tried to switch that middle part to 'del'.. which doesnt make sense to me :noidea:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK BOBROVSKY!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I still need to order my "Slobrovsky" jersey

Sergei Bobrovsky admits he played too much last season - Broad Street Hockey

The fact that you deflated in the second half of last season - is it connected to the fact that you "had had too much hockey?"

I think so. It turned out that by November I had been playing hockey for five months. And then the rollercoaster started: up and down. But I am not going to look for excuses for my shortcomings. This is my life and I set up the preparations myself. And I alone am responsible. I simply came to some conclusions and this summer I decided to make some changes.