• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blazers push for playoff or lottery?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland is in a pickle. They are only a few games out of 8th place and could make a playoff push to try and get that 8th spot with a healthy Lillard returning back into the lineup. As a competitor and fan I will say I appreciate Portland's and Lillard's continued efforts to play for playoff seeding and not try to tank and build through the lottery. Since Stotts and Lillard's time in Portland the Blazers have consistently tried to rebuild Portland through a winning and competitive culture. IMO this is so much better than going say the Phoenix Suns route with building through the draft and just having terrible seasons. Also, what a shame to waste one of the leagues best guards by just not trying to get into the post season. However, Portland has sort of failed Lillard by not building more around him.

But, with that said, Portland is full of injuries. Some nights they only have 7 guys on the roster. They're still a couple games out of 8th spot, and they don't own the tie breaker with the Pelicans, so for them to get into the playoffs it will take a lot of late season wins and also for the red hot Pelicans to cool off. And of course for the Grizzlies to drop a few. Basically Portland needs help, but they need to take care of their own business and need to do so without a healthy roster.

IF Portland can get to the playoffs, they should get some of their big players back in Nurkic and Collins. That would be huge, but again you're stuck at the 8th seed and probably taking on the Lakers. Sure having a healthy roster would make Portland more difficult, but I still don't see them having a chance in a 7 game series with the Lakers. So work your butt off in these final weeks to only go out in the first round?

Or, wave the white flag this season. Rest everyone up, and try to get a decent lottery pick. Obviously they wont be around a top 5 pick and then the argument can be made that how impactful would Portland's pick around 14th be? But you never know.

Quiet frankly I think even if Portland made a push for the playoffs, I don't think they'd get in. I think Pelicans or Grizzlies have that 8th seed, and Pelicans owning the season series with the Blazers is huge. So I think even if you put more miles on Lillard's legs and shoulders, they come up short. I am leaning toward resting the all-star, get every healthy, and hope you get a decent lottery pick and get a steal in the draft.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're best off calling this a lost season and making a lottery push,

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland is in a pickle. They are only a few games out of 8th place and could make a playoff push to try and get that 8th spot with a healthy Lillard returning back into the lineup. As a competitor and fan I will say I appreciate Portland's and Lillard's continued efforts to play for playoff seeding and not try to tank and build through the lottery. Since Stotts and Lillard's time in Portland the Blazers have consistently tried to rebuild Portland through a winning and competitive culture. IMO this is so much better than going say the Phoenix Suns route with building through the draft and just having terrible seasons. Also, what a shame to waste one of the leagues best guards by just not trying to get into the post season. However, Portland has sort of failed Lillard by not building more around him.

But, with that said, Portland is full of injuries. Some nights they only have 7 guys on the roster. They're still a couple games out of 8th spot, and they don't own the tie breaker with the Pelicans, so for them to get into the playoffs it will take a lot of late season wins and also for the red hot Pelicans to cool off. And of course for the Grizzlies to drop a few. Basically Portland needs help, but they need to take care of their own business and need to do so without a healthy roster.

IF Portland can get to the playoffs, they should get some of their big players back in Nurkic and Collins. That would be huge, but again you're stuck at the 8th seed and probably taking on the Lakers. Sure having a healthy roster would make Portland more difficult, but I still don't see them having a chance in a 7 game series with the Lakers. So work your butt off in these final weeks to only go out in the first round?

Or, wave the white flag this season. Rest everyone up, and try to get a decent lottery pick. Obviously they wont be around a top 5 pick and then the argument can be made that how impactful would Portland's pick around 14th be? But you never know.

Quiet frankly I think even if Portland made a push for the playoffs, I don't think they'd get in. I think Pelicans or Grizzlies have that 8th seed, and Pelicans owning the season series with the Blazers is huge. So I think even if you put more miles on Lillard's legs and shoulders, they come up short. I am leaning toward resting the all-star, get every healthy, and hope you get a decent lottery pick and get a steal in the draft.
Portland's 27 wins is already too many for a very good lottery position. The entire East non-playoff is going to be worse than them plus the Ws and wolves so the best spot they would land would be 10. The odds go from 0.5 to 4.0 with that shift. Not very big, may as well try for the playoffs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they really are. Dame being so good actually hurts them in this case.

Generally speaking, I'd say that if you are a really good team, but you suffer a bunch of injuries...use that excuse to go ahead and tank the season and try to get another really good player through the draft.

The Spurs got a heckuva 20 year run doing that and the Warriors are looking to extend their run the same way.

But @logic makes a great point about their lottery chances.

At this point, they may as well push for the playoffs. If they can get anywhere close to healthy, they would be the proverbial "Team that no one wants to play".

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on the radio this morning that the Blazers are in the process of being bought, or on the market or whatever, basically within 5 years the Blazers will be sold.

I sure hope they stay in Portland, but I really wouldn't be surprised if a Seattle based person bought them and moved them to Seattle.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing about getting a lottery slot in the new format is you have a better chance than in the old lottery but STILL pure luck if you get a good spot at the end of the draft lottery. So really even if they call of the season (which they won't), it really does no good. You go for the playoffs and hope to get hot without question.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think you're all right, go for playoffs. Great chance to get a bit closer with the Pelicans losing last night and Portland getting Lillard back tonight against the Wizards.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they make the 8th spot. I think a Lakers v Blazers first round series would be more entertaining than if they played the Grizzlies.

That being said, even if the complete Portland team was healthy I still see the Lakers get this in 5 or 6

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their season was over before it started for one reason and one reason alone.

next year it will be better, for one reason, and one reason alone.

we all know this reason.