• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best golf GPS

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am tired of using my HTC Evo GolfCard ap, I am looking for a dedicated device, I would like to hear opinions on your preferred range finder, GPS, etc, I am pretty much decided on a GPS, but w/o an annual subscription if possible. I like the functionality of GolfCard, but would like to eliminate the distractions inherent with the phone, text, and battery drain.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a laser rangefinder. would never go GPS. get one that can hit anything & not just a reflector on a flagstick.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a laser rangefinder. would never go GPS. get one that can hit anything & not just a reflector on a flagstick.

I like to know distance to water and other hazards, can a rangefinder do that?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laser range finder is the only way to go. You won't go back to GPS if you try one, I guarantee it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have played a few rounds with the skycaddie s5 and just recently played with a guy had the new bushnell that vibrates with slope...the laser is more accurate. If you have a lot of elevation change, the GPS could be off by 5 or 6 yds, but obviously is easier to use.

I prefer the laser...but strictly personal preference...got tired of renewing the skycaddie every year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes...with ease...the biggest thing about lasers is having a fairly steady hand.

I intend to go for the Bushnell V3 with slope.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have played a few rounds with the skycaddie s5 and just recently played with a guy had the new bushnell that vibrates with slope...the laser is more accurate. If you have a lot of elevation change, the GPS could be off by 5 or 6 yds, but obviously is easier to use.

I prefer the laser...but strictly personal preference...got tired of renewing the skycaddie every year.

I have the same bushnell with slope and vibration. It is very simple to use and extremely accurate..

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. It can hit anything you aim it at. When there is a bunker between the flag & the hole I'll hit the flag first, then the bunker to figure out how much carry I need to get over the bunker. Don't get one like toby has with slope as it is illegal to use in competitions. Some competitions wont allow a rangefinder at all but not too many.

I've had mine for probably 7 years now. It is an old school bushnell and still works great.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It can hit anything you aim it at. When there is a bunker between the flag & the hole I'll hit the flag first, then the bunker to figure out how much carry I need to get over the bunker. Don't get one like toby has with slope as it is illegal to use in competitions. Some competitions wont allow a rangefinder at all but not too many.

I've had mine for probably 7 years now. It is an old school bushnell and still works great.

Not anymore

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you use the slope function in tourney play? Man... You might want to rethink that.
Golf Rangefinders legal for tournament play

United States Golf Association | Rules FAQs

The Committee may, by Local Rule, permit the use of devices that measure distance only (i.e., the device may not be used to measure other conditions such as wind-speed or the slope of the ground). (Rule 14-3 Note and Decision 14-3/0.5)

You are correct. I just spoke to the tournament director at our club and he allows these devices by rule of the committee but they are not normally legal. I stand corrected, and educated.

I wonder why your link doesn't include the V3 since it is illegal as well. Perhaps it was posted before the advent of the V3

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. I just spoke to the tournament director at our club and he allows these devices by rule of the committee but they are not normally legal. I stand corrected, and educated.

I wonder why your link doesn't include the V3 since it is illegal as well. Perhaps it was posted before the advent of the V3

Possibly.. Couldn't find any sort of date on that link. Thought maybe I missed something recently. Yeah... You'll find the basic rangefinder legal at pretty much any club level competition. Honestly, the slope function to me just seems like an extra thing to think about, you pretty much know if it's a 1 or 2 club difference just by looking at the pitch of the hole you are playing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to find a flat square mile in north GA...I still plan on getting a V3...I don't play enough tournament golf anymore to worry about that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to find a flat square mile in north GA...I still plan on getting a V3...I don't play enough tournament golf anymore to worry about that.

Yep, that jolt gives you that nice warm fuzzy that you are actually hitting the pin with the lasrer.