• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Deal Not Done By The Front Office..

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching today's coverage of Arod ones mind couldn't stp thinking, "thank god that the M's front office didnt get a deal done for this guy."

Sure he wanted more money, but watching this guys career after he left here, he was a huge disappointment. His attitude, his lack of play in the playoffs, I'm glad he didnt stay, I dont believe he would've been good for this orginzation, he's not like Bone, he's not like Edgar. Heck Moyer is a god with fans around here....

As a father of two sons, there is no way I can stay away from the "Safe" even when Bavassi was running this team into the ground,(its not fair to the kids cause dad doesnt believe in management).
I'm so thankful they didnt grow up worshiping this clown, he's a poor example as to why the game is a mess.

I know players cheat, I played college ball, its all around you. But when you get caught, man up and say, "I screwed up!" Dont drag it out like a dumb arse mini series, just come clean.....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me but...

If Arod would have stayed I don't think he would have felt the pressure to have to live up to that 200 + million dollar contract or feel the pressure to succeed in New York and would not have had resorted to cheating.

We all know he had the natural ability to be one of the greatest of all time...I think his decision to leave Seattle to chase the money and to chase the fame really did him in.

Some players thrive under the bright lights...Arod thought he was that player...I think he was better suited for Seattle...

I wonder though...if we would have resigned Arod...would we still have pursued Ichiro? Signed Boone?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Arod would have stayed I don't think he would have felt the pressure to have to live up to that 200 + million dollar contract or feel the pressure to succeed in New York and would not have had resorted to cheating.

We all know he had the natural ability to be one of the greatest of all time...I think his decision to leave Seattle to chase the money and to chase the fame really did him in.

Some players thrive under the bright lights...Arod thought he was that player...I think he was better suited for Seattle...

I wonder though...if we would have resigned Arod...would we still have pursued Ichiro? Signed Boone?

Without A-Fraud's departure, I don't think the M's would have fielded nearly the same team that became one of its best ever.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder though...if we would have resigned Arod...would we still have pursued Ichiro? Signed Boone?[/QUOTE]

Simple answer is, easily yes. Who on the 2001 team would not have been there because of what would've been A-Rod's 18 million dollar contract? Ichiro would've been regardless and none of Pat Gillick's offseason moves were high priced, all low risk high reward players.

My pet peeve is that Seattle had a gold mine in a trade chip but refused to use it even though he rejected the contract off. They pissed Griffey off into a trade because of the contract offer A-Rod had, yet he refused to sign it. With Boras, Seattle was going to have to pay dearly to retain him because Seattle called Boras' bluff with A-Rod and Miami. If he refused to take a 3 year deal then why was he not dealt in the 2000 winter or 2000 trade deadline for a boat load of prospects?

Oh that's right, Pat Gillick hates farm systems and doesn't care about the future of any organization he has ever been with.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the resident know-nothing wazzu strikes again. shocking!

if you take the m's salary in 2000, and add what a-rod's salary would have been in 2001 had he accepted the contract, you end up with almost exactly the m's team salary in 2001.

also, ichiro's posting fee was near $15 million if i remember correctly. it ended up being spread over several years, but it was still hefty at the time, and might not have been in the works without the departure of a-fraud.

i can continue to break it down barney-style for you, wazzu. i could even put it all to a SONG for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think A-Rod would've turned out the same if he just stayed in Seattle, but I certainly don't blame him for taking the money... everybody would have, including our beloved Edgar.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of how it turned out A-Rod went on to hit 458 home runs after he left the Mariners. An average of 38 per season.

You can debate if the whole PED thing would have happened (my theory is he's been using since he was with the Mariners) but that production does not lie.

Dude it's one thing to disagree with someone but no need to resort to insults. We're all on the same side here. Save it for the 49ers fans.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pet peeve is that Seattle had a gold mine in a trade chip but refused to use it even though he rejected the contract off. They pissed Griffey off into a trade because of the contract offer A-Rod had, yet he refused to sign it. With Boras, Seattle was going to have to pay dearly to retain him because Seattle called Boras' bluff with A-Rod and Miami. If he refused to take a 3 year deal then why was he not dealt in the 2000 winter or 2000 trade deadline for a boat load of prospects?

I honestly believed they (being Boras) fooled the M's front office that he was going to sign a new deal. I dont think they rolled the dice thinking they had a chance, and there is a book one of the Seattle writers had done and there was a chapter in the book about this...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you take the m's salary in 2000, and add what a-rod's salary would have been in 2001 had he accepted the contract, you end up with almost exactly the m's team salary in 2001.

also, ichiro's posting fee was near $15 million if i remember correctly. it ended up being spread over several years, but it was still hefty at the time, and might not have been in the works without the departure of a-fraud.

i can continue to break it down barney-style for you, wazzu. i could even put it all to a SONG for you. :)

And so your simpleton brain thinks that if A-Rod signed the 3 yr 18 mil rumored contracts the Mariners would not have posted for and signed Ichiro?

For simpleton sakes, take Ichiro off the 2001 roster and put A-Rod on there. Do you think the M's would not have had the success they did with all those guys having career years?

If you say no it must be A-Rod being disliked while Ichiro was a big clubhouse leader then right?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believed they (being Boras) fooled the M's front office that he was going to sign a new deal. I dont think they rolled the dice thinking they had a chance, and there is a book one of the Seattle writers had done and there was a chapter in the book about this...

Quite possibly, but I just heard Boras was pissed off as A-Rod "advisor" that A-Rod settled for the Seattle deal in 93 instead of going to Miami and getting more as the 96 number 1 draft pick. It's not like they could really do more besides offer more years but, reportedly Seattle's offer was the 2nd best offer. I can't believe anyone in their right mind thought a team would offer a 10 year contract for that amount of money back then.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies, get a fucking room.

Back on topic... Josh Hamilton!

I admit I wanted him on this team but I'm really glad we didn't get him. Dodged a bullet there.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies, get a fucking room.

Back on topic... Josh Hamilton!

I admit I wanted him on this team but I'm really glad we didn't get him. Dodged a bullet there.

Wasn't someone on the CBS boards beating the Braum drum too??? Amazing how a partial season can change ones thinking....

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe anyone in their right mind thought a team would offer a 10 year contract for that amount of money back then.

Well with Boras involved, I'm sure even back then he was trying to land the largest contract, guy lives for the hype...
I'm just glad it didnt happen, I'm going to look for that book, its a great read, and the stories of 95 and how none of the guys wanted to go home after games when they were on the magical streak, its funny....