• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs Lions

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The folks that were in the trade down and pick up Rashawn Slate camp are probably feeling okay too (though, the Chase crowd is clearly ahead).... That guy is having a heck of a start to his career in LA. Now, if that would have been the play, it would have all banked on who we grabbed as our receiver in the late first..... A lot of incomplete grades on those guys right now.
Yep. Hard to tell, because it all depends on who they would have been able to trade down with, where that would have put them in the 2nd round, or if they got enough capital to feel like they could have moved all the way back into the backend of the 1st round, or even the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2nd round to land their choice.

Then, not to mention, that WR would have been coming in as the likely #2/#3 guy with Boyd and Higgins. I think Chase is far away better than any of those guys in the 2nd round, as I think Chase is a true #1 guy - but anyone would benefit from Burrow being their QB, and guys like Boyd and Higgins and Tate helping to take the load off them. Even CJ helping over the middle. All of that would make any of those other WR's look better than they might right now. It's a crap-shoot.

For now, if Carman can continue to improve and show that he can either be the long-term answer at RG or eventually move to RT - that will make this a HR draft in the 1st/2nd round. Chase is already making an A+ choice for the 1st round, but the OL has to come together as well, because eventually Burrow will get killed if it doesn't.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness, he is so tall and skinny that he looks like a WR. Fantastic strength at point of impact though.
Yeah, one thing you can count on with UC's DB's: they will absolutely hit you. They live for it. It's one of the big reasons why their 3-3-5 defense works.

They have speed up and down the line at every level. WR screens and stretch plays are simply snuffed out 8 of 10 times for no gain or losses. Sanders, DE, is going to be drafted on day 2. Beavers, OLB, is going to be drafted in the middle rounds. He is a prototypical OLB in a 3-4 scheme, or where you need an OLB that can move in space/cover and yet can rush the QB. Bryant and Gardner are guys that can play in the NFL - both are long and range. Gardner is the top end elite guy, but Bryant is a guy that can make a living as a rotational piece.

Hicks and Cook are the safeties. Neither are likely NFL bound, but both will make big plays for UC in both the run game and passing game. Hicks has a penchant for INT's and the ball. Cook is a dude that lives with bad intentions on every tackle he makes. He made a tackle this weekend on a screen where the OG pulled on a WR screen...Cook absolutely destroyed the guard, and the screen back/WR ended up getting tripped up over the lineman because he got blown up.

It's really hard in college to stretch the field against a team that you can't reach the edge on, and when you do, they come with bad intentions on their tackles. I know the AAC isn't the best football conference, but IU and ND have guys that are Big10 dudes, and neither of those teams faired well in moving the ball against this defense. ND scored 10 points. IU got an INT returned to the 15 to help them with one of their TD's. When forced to drive against this starting defense...teams just can't do it consistently.

I mean, this is nearly the same defense that a year ago went toe-to-toe with UGA. Both teams were missing key players, so it was still about the same match-up wise as if everyone were there.

Going back to last year - UC has given up 24 or more points just 4 times. In each of those games, turnovers deep inside their own territory played a role in allowing the other team at least 1 easy score. Only 1 team in 2 years has reached the 30 point mark, and that was UCF last year. They were #2 in the nation in total offense last year, they played UC at UCF, and still only managed a little over 300 yards of offense - 200 below their season average.

The run that this UC defense is on, is real and is amazing. It is a perfect storm of guys who aretalented (UC's conference rank in recruiting under Fickell is 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, and to be 1st again and has been top 50 nationally all but 1 year. This year could be top 30, even top 25 for '22). Guys who have stuck around, and are experienced, and added talent/experience depth to rotate.

Of the 11 starters on defense, only 3 of them are not Sr's. Sanders, DE, is a JR; Gardner is a JR, and Pace (from Colerain who is a freaking STUD in the making) is a Soph. Of the 7 Sr's, you have 4 of them who returned for their 5th year due to the Covid rules allowing for a "free" year. Bryant, CB, Dublanko, LB, Taylor, DT, Brooks, DT/DE.

This defense got OLD and mixed it with talent - and this has been the result the last 2 years. Guys who have been in a system for 4/5 years, have talent, and now are on the field with other experienced talent creating depth like you would never think is possible for a "G5" team.

Now, would UC lose to 'Bama, UGA, and even OSU - probably. But, I think they could hang with them. UC has a top 10 national offense and a top 3 defense. That's a pretty good mix. They may not win, but I don't think they would get blown out, either.

Taking this run, and now headed into the Big12 - that is going to lead to some BIG time recruiting doors opening. Exciting times to be a UC fan (and don't look now, but even though basketball has been a bit of a mess thank to the Brannen fiasco - Miller has the 13th ranked class for '22 already lined up).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to add on to the above - just saw where Cook is now on some teams boards for the draft - quickly rising.

Currently, there are no less than 10 players currently on a few NFL team boards, according to some UC insiders.

When you are looking at placing, a potential, 10 guys in the NFL in 1 draft - you are damned good. I don't care who it is you play, you don't put guys in the NFL at a clip like that without being good.

It also means, that UC has NFL prospects at every level of that defense. DL/LB/Secondary.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to add on to the above - just saw where Cook is now on some teams boards for the draft - quickly rising.

Currently, there are no less than 10 players currently on a few NFL team boards, according to some UC insiders.

When you are looking at placing, a potential, 10 guys in the NFL in 1 draft - you are damned good. I don't care who it is you play, you don't put guys in the NFL at a clip like that without being good.

It also means, that UC has NFL prospects at every level of that defense. DL/LB/Secondary.
I think they will make the playoff if they don't slip.... But I also think it's hard not to slip so I'm trying to not get my hopes up.

In the playoffs, I think they can play with anyone.... I don't expect that they would beat either Alabama or Georgia, but I also don't think they'd be blown out. They're a good team that could win a playoff game with a little luck.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few more notes on Gardner:

Among all CB's over 500+ snaps since 2020 -

Fewest Yards allowed - 268

Fewest 1st downs - 12

ZERO TD's allowed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will make the playoff if they don't slip.... But I also think it's hard not to slip so I'm trying to not get my hopes up.

In the playoffs, I think they can play with anyone.... I don't expect that they would beat either Alabama or Georgia, but I also don't think they'd be blown out. They're a good team that could win a playoff game with a little luck.
Yeah, I get so tired of the argument "They'd lose to team X by 100" or whatever nonsense these fans spout.

I mean, yeah, most teams in the NCAA would get rolled by UGA or Bama. I mean, no offense to anyone, but it's not like Ohio State has some great track record in the playoffs. No reason UC can't get blown out just like they've been in recent history, or any other team that gets in and promptly swept aside by a 'Bama, Clemson, whoever. Is UC one of the absolute best top 2 teams in the nation? No. I think there is a handful of teams they'd likely lose to, and a few they may lose big, and some they'd keep it close.

But, that's not how the rankings work - if the who point was to simply rank who everyone *THOUGHT* was best, then the week to week games really don't matter too much. A 'Bama team with 1 slip up is still better than just about any other team in the nation. If UGA slips up, they're still #1 or #2 best overall in the nation. But, the rankings do reflect that week to week up and down and those loses.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know it's early to be looking at playoff prospects but this is as big as a game in week 7 can be.
A Bengals win and they're in the driver's seat for a one seed. A loss and they're fighting for a wild card spot.
Non-homer opinion, I think everyone is sleeping on this team because of their organizational reputation. They have an elite young QB, arguably the best reciving corps in the AFC, and a solid defense. This game is going to tell a lot about them.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's early to be looking at playoff prospects but this is as big as a game in week 7 can be.
A Bengals win and they're in the driver's seat for a one seed. A loss and they're fighting for a wild card spot.
Non-homer opinion, I think everyone is sleeping on this team because of their organizational reputation. They have an elite young QB, arguably the best reciving corps in the AFC, and a solid defense. This game is going to tell a lot about them.
I think you're right. You put different helmets on these guys and they wouldn't be doubted so much. The defense is the surprise - I think we all expected that they would improve, but they absolutely nailed it in FA the past two seasons and have created a whole new unit. I'm a little worried about depth, but if they can stay healthy they should keep us in most games. My other concerns are the offensive line (still inconsistent) and the offensive coaching. They have to be more consistent on offense to be able to beat good teams. Right now they are relying too heavily on big plays to bail them out. Good teams are less likely to allow the big play.

I'll tell you this..... I like this Bengals team. They are fun to watch and fun to follow. As much as I complain about Taylor's offensive approach, his team-building skills appear to be sharp.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few more notes on Gardner:

Among all CB's over 500+ snaps since 2020 -

Fewest Yards allowed - 268

Fewest 1st downs - 12

ZERO TD's allowed.

Mock Draft from PFF....I guess we better be shitty if we are going to get Gardner. So it looks like experts are starting to take notice and he is beyond shooting up boards, he is a top 10 pick in this scenario, and on the fring of top 5 pick.​

6. NEW YORK JETS: CB AHMAD GARDNER, CINCINNATI

Record: 1-5
Strength of Schedule: .440
PFF Rank: 29th
Remaining Schedule: 8th

How about these for shutdown stats? Among corners who have played more than 500 snaps since 2020, Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner has allowed the fewest yards (268), fewest first downs (12), and he has not allowed a single touchdown over that span.

He’s got the stats, the size at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, and the speed to succeed on the outside at the next level for a team that plays a lot of man coverage. He also doesn’t just play on one side of the field.