• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bench

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the last thing I read about it

What's going on with the bench situation?Things would make a lot more sense if the Phillies hadn't given John Mayberry Jr. a $1.5 million contract this offseason. When they did, it presumably was because he was their most obvious option as a backup centerfielder. But Ryne Sandberg has rarely mentioned the righthanded slugger when talking about the position, and he has played Mayberry there in just three games this spring.
Kevin Frandsen, who is not regarded as a strong defender but who has hit very well against lefties in his career, will serve as a righthanded hitter off the bench while also filling in for Utley on occasion against lefties. Mayberry will provide a righthanded power bat who can spell Domonic Brown for an occasional start. Freddy Galvis will be the utility man, Wil Nieves the backup catcher, and Bobby Abreu the primary lefthanded bat off the bench.
That scenario puts Tony Gwynn Jr. and Darin Ruf in the minors to start the season, with Gwynn the answer if the Phillies need a long-term sub in center.

I'm thinking at this point I'd rather go with Ruf and Gwynn than Abreu and Mayberry. I also wouldn't worry much about the 1.5 million contract to Mayberry. For one thing, if you go with Mayberry/Abreu you know Amaro isn't going to give Abreu the league minimum (that would be an insult to the veteran). Also, even if Mayberry didn't want to go to the minors and they cut him, he is a valuable enough role player that some team would give him the league minimum so they are really out only 1 Million.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mayberry hit lefties well (or better than he does against righties), which could come in handy if Howard continues to do poorly against lefty pitching.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayberry hit lefties well (or better than he does against righties), which could come in handy if Howard continues to do poorly against lefty pitching.

Yeah, I'm aware Mayberry has value but I'd like to see Ruf in that role because with this team he could get a decent amount of playing time. I think I would even go with Ruf/Mayberry as well. I don't really think not having a lefty on the bench is a big deal, especially when you have guys like Howard and Utley who could come off the bench on days they are rested. (plus you'd like that lefthanded hitter to have a little power, which Abreu doesn't have at this point and Gwynn never had).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should go with Gwynn and Abreu now that Ruf won't make the team. At least Abreu is a better hitter than Mayberry.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gwynn is lefthanded and not much of an offensive threat. Does Dave Winfield have any kids?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Gwynn is a better player than Mayberry and would rather have him on the bench. I understand Gwynn has no power, but it's not like Mayberry really does either. He slugged .391 last year. Hell, Ben Revere slugged .352

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss 2010-2011 when nobody gave two shits about the bench because every pitcher was throwing a complete game and we never needed to pinch hit for them.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Gwynn is a better player than Mayberry and would rather have him on the bench. I understand Gwynn has no power, but it's not like Mayberry really does either. He slugged .391 last year. Hell, Ben Revere slugged .352

Yeah, but Mayberry's slugging is watered down by all the ABs he got against right handed pitchers the last couple years when Revere got hurt and they traded Pence and Victorino midseason. Strictly as a platoon player and pinch hitter he's pretty good. Gwynn's value I think is mostly in his defense.

But you're right about one thing-back when they had a good starting eight no one really cared what Eric Bruntlett's ops was.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Mayberry's slugging is watered down by all the ABs he got against right handed pitchers the last couple years when Revere got hurt and they traded Pence and Victorino midseason. Strictly as a platoon player and pinch hitter he's pretty good. Gwynn's value I think is mostly in his defense.

But you're right about one thing-back when they had a good starting eight no one really cared what Eric Bruntlett's ops was.

I'm willing to sacrifice Mayberry's decent bat against lefties for Gwynn's defense and speed. Frandsen can hit lefties decently. I know you're going to point back to when Mayberry started in 2012 and 2013, but in 1232 PA he has 1.2 WAR. Gwynn has 1671 PA and has a 6.8 WAR.

Gwynn isn't his father by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he's a better backup centerfielder than Mayberry.