• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bench Utility Bat - Who Would you Want?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madrigal will probably be up in early May at the latest barring an unforeseen development. Some speculate that we will just be content in giving Mendick the job until then. Others believe we take a shot at one of these options who could hold down 2B during the first month and then become a valuable bench asset.

These guys will be dirt cheap if spring training arrives and they remain unsigned. And they all carry some real value to a team.

Who would you like to see be brought in if we do go this route?

Brian Dozier - You would be choosing the bat over defense here. But he still has a good deal of power. Part-time role on World Series winning Nationals last season. Hit 20 HR's in that platoon/pinch hitting role.

Wilmer Flores - Mashes LHP at a fantastic clip. Could be an asset in that regard. Again, not turning heads with the glove.

Scooter Gennett - Really had a full head of steam going with his career until a groin injury just derailed his 2019 season.

Brock Holt - Most versatile defensively. Has played everywhere besides P/C and usually does it well. .340 lifetime OBP and .369 OBP last season. 23 career HR's... so very little power but he gets on-base and can run well. He's averaged over a 1.0 WAR in his previous six seasons despite being a part-time utility guy. He was just a September call-up his first two. The one year he played full-time? He was an all-star.

He is also a Boston fan favorite. Known as a team-first guy willing to take on any role. He also has some very touching off the field stories with the charity work he does.

Brock Holt gets my vote.

Jason Kipnis - Was essentially an elite 2B for a handful of seasons and made two all-star games in Cleveland. He hit 30 and tapered off a bit over the past few years. Still hits righties very well and plays good defense.

Brad Miller - Rakes right-handed pitching. Some power. Defense is just so-so. A true platoon/bench guy.

Ben Zobrist - Switch hitter and solid vs both sides. Versatile defensively and has played 1B/2B/3B and corner outfield. His best days are probably behind him. Sat out most of last season due to personal issues (messy divorce trial).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Holt on my list for FA bench players, assuming we were to go after one. Mainly because of his versatility. Hard to imagine how Scooter Gennett went from one of the game's best offensive 2b to a roster cut, altho that had to be one hell of a groin injury to have caused such a rapid downfall. His would be one of those roll of the dice signings.

Actually, I doubt the Sox plan on any more signings, at least with positional players, barring some type of ST injury of course. If they have one contract out there left to offer, I'd like to see it given to another reliever, such as Collin McHugh. We're missing that long relief/spot starter transition pitcher and he could be that guy. I think he ended last season on the injured list, so I'm not sure of his health status.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Holt on my list for FA bench players, assuming we were to go after one. Mainly because of his versatility. Hard to imagine how Scooter Gennett went from one of the game's best offensive 2b to a roster cut, altho that had to be one hell of a groin injury to have caused such a rapid downfall. His would be one of those roll of the dice signings.

Actually, I doubt the Sox plan on any more signings, at least with positional players, barring some type of ST injury of course. If they have one contract out there left to offer, I'd like to see it given to another reliever, such as Collin McHugh. We're missing that long relief/spot starter transition pitcher and he could be that guy. I think he ended last season on the injured list, so I'm not sure of his health status.

I think we're done this offseason because we may splash sign a positional and/or a SP in the future but we need to identify which positions to do so. We're in wait and see mode because most of our roster is "hmmm, looks good but..." right now.

Most glaring would be RF (still, sorry Nomar)...and SP.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go with Danny Mendick -also a rookie, but with power.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're done this offseason because we may splash sign a positional and/or a SP in the future but we need to identify which positions to do so. We're in wait and see mode because most of our roster is "hmmm, looks good but..." right now.

Most glaring would be RF (still, sorry Nomar)...and SP.

Yeah, being all-in on Mazara has everyone shaky. He's still a guy with so much power upside and only a couple years removed from top prospect status. But the bust potential is real. His peaks and valleys have been insanely volatile.

I guess Leury is still there if you need him. But they really want Mazara to be our everyday RF. I guess it's not a bad year to buy low on a guy like him and give him a "prove it" season. Then, spend on the position next off-season if it doesn't work.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, being all-in on Mazara has everyone shaky. He's still a guy with so much power upside and only a couple years removed from top prospect status. But the bust potential is real. His peaks and valleys have been insanely volatile.

I guess Leury is still there if you need him. But they really want Mazara to be our everyday RF. I guess it's not a bad year to buy low on a guy like him and give him a "prove it" season. Then, spend on the position next off-season if it doesn't work.
Agree with what you say here 100%, but I'll still pose the question to Rick Hahn as to why he didn't take a flier on Castellanos, especially based on the contract he ended up signing with the Reds.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're set on the roster sans a few adjustments. It'll be interesting how it pans out. We're literally a paper champion right now.

DH - Encarnacion - Set
C- Grandal/McCann - Set
1B - Abreu - Set
2B- Leury (Madrigal on deck) - Set
SS- Timmay!!! - Set
3B - Moncada - Set
LF - Jimenez - Set
CF - Robert - Set
RF - Mazara - Ehhhhh...Wait and see.

SP - Giolito - Keuchel - Gonzalez - Lopez - Cease/Rodon/Kopech (Should find 5 to get it done among these 7...so set...but still wait and see)

RP - Colome/Bummer and Co from there (set...could be a spot we need to upgrade with a player or two...but wait and see as we can def roll with what we have)

I mean, now it just comes down to them actually playing well together. Whatever the weakness is, if we perform admirably in 2020, I have no doubt it will be rectified between now and the end of next offseason.

As for Mazara himself, that's a pretty good SOLO weak link if there ever was one if you're an LSD/Mingo-like optimist about the rest.

Whatever happens, and you guys know I'm skeptical as hell about what this core ends up doing, I do think our days of being complete sh*t are over...which has been a long time coming. So cheers for that. We deserve at worst .500 minimum baseball for at least the next half decade...We've suffered enough.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post @Jiddy - the truth.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with what you say here 100%, but I'll still pose the question to Rick Hahn as to why he didn't take a flier on Castellanos, especially based on the contract he ended up signing with the Reds.

Well, 4 for 64 isn't cheap. Especially when you consider we got Encarnacion for 1/12 and have that money free for next year.

I also have to think Castellanos number was around 5-100 before coming down to a number like that. I would have liked Castellanos. Always been a fan. But I'm interested to see if we can get Mazara to his potential. It's not as if he didn't have periods where he cracked it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 4 for 64 isn't cheap. Especially when you consider we got Encarnacion for 1/12 and have that money free for next year.

I also have to think Castellanos number was around 5-100 before coming down to a number like that. I would have liked Castellanos. Always been a fan. But I'm interested to see if we can get Mazara to his potential. It's not as if he didn't have periods where he cracked it.
Again, we agree - no sense crying over spilled milk. Besides, he can opt out of the Reds contract after this season, so who knows. I'm also curious to see how Mazara pans out. One thing he definitely has over Castellanos is a rocket for an arm.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still glad we didn't sign Castellanos. Not impressed. Hell, he's lower on the totem pole for me than Grandal...and you guys know how much I love me ol' Yaztangibles.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still glad we didn't sign Castellanos. Not impressed. Hell, he's lower on the totem pole for me than Grandal...and you guys know how much I love me ol' Yaztangibles.

I'm with you on Castellanos - bad signing IMO.