• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beltran, Quentin, or Cuddyer?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have a chance to make a big splash and grab one of these guys? If so, which guy would be the best fit?

Beltran: .880 OPS

Quentin: .859 OPs

Cuddyer: .845 OPS

Any of them worth the likely cost of talented young players and perhaps Sanchez?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baer said on Razor and Mr T today that the Gs are willing to take on $$, but VERY hesitant to give up prospects in trades. That tells me there is a decent shot at getting Beltran.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cuddyer and Beltran both have big salaries attached so they won't require big returns. I'd prefer Cuddyer since he's the most versatile and I'm biased towards the few guys that grew up in the same area I did (except BJ Upton, fuck that guy.)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean also said he's willing to trade for rental players, something he hasn't ever like to do.

Sounds like Beltran is a prime target. And Ramon Hernandez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Beltran is a VERY likely target. Cabeza did, after all, name him to the ASG. Sounds a bit of a greasing of the wheels action, to me...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be ok with losing surkamp and Humbree/Runzler.

This means that the Giants down the road would probably have to retain Wilson, and at least one of Sanchez, Lincecum, or Cain, at a combined cost of about 15-25mil per. Add to that the rental player cost.

Losing Posey and Freddy was, and will be, really costly.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only way I see us getting Beltran, is if he demands to go to SF. Which could very well happen, and is part of the reason I think Bochy named him to the AS team.

Hernandez is a different story. He will probably be a type A, but that doesn't really benefit the Reds because he will accept arb. No one is going to pick up a 36 yr old catcher coming off a career year if it means giving up a 1st round pick. Hence why he will accept arb, the pay out will be close to any 1 year FA deal that he wont get. The Reds DO NOT wanna pay that at all, and they have a talented young catcher waiting, so they too could join the get what you can while you can party.

I wouldn't mind the FO looking at possible 2B upgrades either. I know the plan is to have Font man it, but he isn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ok with losing surkamp and Humbree/Runzler.

This means that the Giants down the road would probably have to retain Wilson, and at least one of Sanchez, Lincecum, or Cain, at a combined cost of about 15-25mil per. Add to that the rental player cost.

Losing Posey and Freddy was, and will be, really costly.

Wow...

Surkamp AND Hembree for Beltran (and his contract)?

That may, very well, be the cost, but putting names to it hurts.

I am not sure I like that cost, unless the Mets eat a good portion of the contract...

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know an outfielder the Giants can acquire for the league minimum that could be a great boost for the team...his name is Brandon Belt

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know an outfielder the Giants can acquire for the league minimum that could be a great boost for the team...his name is Brandon Belt

They optioned Belt back down.

Sad too, cause he could have possibly put up Freeman like numbers had they just let him work through his struggles. They've really mis managed him so far this year.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Beltran is the guy the Giants have to target. His bat will have the most impact and it will not cost the Giants any major pieces from the farm, I'm thinking C+/B- type player. Teams not being allowed to offer him arb really kills his value when there is also so much money still left on his contract. If the Giants only have to take on extra salary that would be a HUGE win for the Giants.

Edit:

This is the kind of stuff that I love to see...

Club president Larry Baer was a bit cagey, but he made it clear the team values its minor league talent more than a few million.

“We’re in the first inning of this thing,” Baer said. “The first cost you worry about is the talent you give up. That’s the cost you care more about. Having said that, we’ll see. We want to do what’s right for the franchise.”

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So who are we talking about when we say B-/C+ level talent?

I'd assume Wheeler/Brown are A-/B+.