• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belt Reviews from projectprospect.com

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"I think Belt could become a 25-35 HR guy with high doubles totals, strong walk rates and an above-average glove at first base.Though he is going to need to adjust to handle up-and-in pitches better, given the progress he made in one full season, I wouldn't put it past him to make more strides in 2011. Belt has a chance to become an elite big league first baseman.

I will say, however, that I think he'd be below-average in the outfield. Passable? Maybe for a few years. But he's not a guy I'd want to rely on chasing balls down in the outfield. He's not slow, but I don't think he has enough speed to be an average defensive outfielder"

This was posted by a contributor at projectprospect.com, he also ranked Belt as the #6 overall prospect coming into this year on the basis that he has one of the highest floors in the minors and still has a fairly high ceiling. I can't wait to see this guy in SF.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think Belt could become a 25-35 HR guy with high doubles totals, strong walk rates and an above-average glove at first base.Though he is going to need to adjust to handle up-and-in pitches better, given the progress he made in one full season, I wouldn't put it past him to make more strides in 2011. Belt has a chance to become an elite big league first baseman.

I will say, however, that I think he'd be below-average in the outfield. Passable? Maybe for a few years. But he's not a guy I'd want to rely on chasing balls down in the outfield. He's not slow, but I don't think he has enough speed to be an average defensive outfielder"

This was posted by a contributor at projectprospect.com, he also ranked Belt as the #6 overall prospect coming into this year on the basis that he has one of the highest floors in the minors and still has a fairly high ceiling. I can't wait to see this guy in SF.

+1. Thanks for the insight. I don't really understand the reasoning behind him not having enough speed. If he isn't "slow," then working on jumps and getting familiar with left field could definitely make him average for a few years. It's more about positioning and reading the flight of the ball off of the bat (Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff do it and they are certifiably slow). I don't really want to see Huff in LF much this year or next, so I'm hoping Belt can be the everyday LF against right-handed pitching (with Belt taking 1B against lefties that Huff has struggled with). I think having Posey-Huff-Belt-Panda as a 3-4-5-6 as often as possible will benefit all involved.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice find...

Any read on whether the contributor is a reliable source or not? Nothing he writes sounds out of sorts with what others say, I just want to know how to file this info my brain.

I have been expecting a Wally Joyner / Mark Grace (with slightly more power, slightly less D) from him, but I find now that I need to fight my urge to expect more. Could he be a poor-man's Adrian Gonzalez? John Olerud (less average, more power)? Will Clark (more power, less D)? Glenn Davis (less power, more D)?

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
+1. Thanks for the insight. I don't really understand the reasoning behind him not having enough speed. If he isn't "slow," then working on jumps and getting familiar with left field could definitely make him average for a few years. It's more about positioning and reading the flight of the ball off of the bat (Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff do it and they are certifiably slow). I don't really want to see Huff in LF much this year or next, so I'm hoping Belt can be the everyday LF against right-handed pitching (with Belt taking 1B against lefties that Huff has struggled with). I think having Posey-Huff-Belt-Panda as a 3-4-5-6 as often as possible will benefit all involved.

To be honest, I don't understand the logic behind it either. If he could be a good defensive outfielder then I'd rather have him out there than Huff or Burrell everyday. He has a pretty good SB% in the minors, so I really don't think he's slow, I think it might be more of an issue that he is supposed to be a terrific defensive 1st baseman and so he isn't getting much work out there. Hence when scouts see him in the outfield on occasion he doesn't look that good, but everybody is giving his 1B glove good reviews so if he stays there, then we have another thing to be excited about.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice find...

Any read on whether the contributor is a reliable source or not? Nothing he writes sounds out of sorts with what others say, I just want to know how to file this info my brain.

I have been expecting a Wally Joyner / Mark Grace (with slightly more power, slightly less D) from him, but I find now that I need to fight my urge to expect more. Could he be a poor-man's Adrian Gonzalez? John Olerud (less average, more power)? Will Clark (more power, less D)? Glenn Davis (less power, more D)?

Thank you, and I can't really say how reputable the source is. I've checked in on projectprospect.com randomly before checking in on Posey reviews and what not. If you'd like to take a look into it, then here's the link: Project Prospect • View topic - Top 25 Prospect List

If that one doesn't work then use this one and click on the 2nd page:

Project Prospect • View topic - Top 25 Prospect List

The guy who made the comment is named Adam Foster and he has material on the project prospect homepage. Hope this is what you were looking for Cal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice find...

I've heard Larry Walker dropped a few times.

In any case, I can't wait to see him up in SF. I think he should play 1B and move Huff to LF. Huff wasn't bad there last year anyway (or not a liability atleast), so why make 2 positions just average when you can make 1 above average and the other average.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Larry Walker dropped a few times.

In any case, I can't wait to see him up in SF. I think he should play 1B and move Huff to LF. Huff wasn't bad there last year anyway (or not a liability atleast), so why make 2 positions just average when you can make 1 above average and the other average.

This is my default stance as well, but remember, Huff is a year older and he may not have the same drive and excitement this year that he had in '10. If Belt is ++ 1B and avg LF while Huff is theoretically -- LF and avg 1B, I think I may prefer 2 average over a ++ and a --.

Either way, I will trust the people who talk to these guys and watch them play every day to make a more informed decision than me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my default stance as well, but remember, Huff is a year older and he may not have the same drive and excitement this year that he had in '10. If Belt is ++ 1B and avg LF while Huff is theoretically -- LF and avg 1B, I think I may prefer 2 average over a ++ and a --.

Either way, I will trust the people who talk to these guys and watch them play every day to make a more informed decision than me.

Huff was a little above average in 2010 in the OF. So while I don't expect to be above average again, I sure don't think he will go from average LF to --LF. Plus, with Ross in RF and shaded into the gap (default set), Torres can maybe help out Huff in LF range wise knowing he has a +defender in RF instead of Guillen/Bowker/Burrell most of the time.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well here is a twist no one has mentioned.How about LF-Ross CF-Torres RF-Belt.LF is fairly large at ATT.I know triples alley is huge but from all accounts Belt has the speed to cover it.I as well have heard Larry Walker comparisons and how great would that be:cool:.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huff was a little above average in 2010 in the OF. So while I don't expect to be above average again, I sure don't think he will go from average LF to --LF. Plus, with Ross in RF and shaded into the gap (default set), Torres can maybe help out Huff in LF range wise knowing he has a +defender in RF instead of Guillen/Bowker/Burrell most of the time.

When I was calling Huff a --LF, I was talking worst-case-scenario assuming he loses one step due to age and one step due to complacency.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was calling Huff a --LF, I was talking worst-case-scenario assuming he loses one step due to age and one step due to complacency.

Right. Well, neither position is of extreme importance defensively, so if Huff won't be able to play LF full time, it wouldn't be a huge deal.