• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bear Down Wildcats Football!!!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So AZ brings 15K more people than the entire student population, and only receiving 1 vote in the rankings, and ASU fans are saying that AZ needs to step it up? How about having a student body of over 70K not sell out in 67K, as the #19 team in the country? You filled at 77% capacity with twice as many students enrolled, 5 times the city population, and ranked in the preseason, where as AZ filled up at 88% of capacity with less students, less city population, and lower ranking/expectations. And AZ needs to step it up? You only put 2K more people in the stands!!!!! Step your shit up, you guys should be filling that bitch up, right?? You guys can't even sell out when you're ranked in the top 20? Weak shit guys.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :agree:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall last year on sports radio the guys trying to rally people to show up to ASU games when they were "on the road to the Rose Bowl." (LOL). But point being, even when they appear to be on the cusp of their greatest year in recent memory, their fans need to be inspired to care.

That said, ASU is a legit team and the Cats won't be playing their fans come Territorial Cup time.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I never stated or implied that Arizona fans need to step up. Rather, I was pointing out that ASU Fans continually post better attendance numbers than UA. Yet, ASU Fans are still thought of as fair-weathered. Seems strange.

Also, last time I checked, no one cares about the percentage of your stadium that is full. Attendance rankings are based of number of butts in the seats.

Speaking of attendance rankings. Our "fair-weathered" fans were ranked 26 in the nation in total attendance last year (4th in the PAC-12) That's better than Oregon and Stanford (teams that were on Rose Bowl runs). ASU averaged 15,000 more people a game than Arizona in 2013! That's significant.

Meanwhile, this is in a competitive Phoenix sports market with several other options vying for the consumers dollar. Not to mention other non-sports related entertainment.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I never stated or implied that Arizona fans need to step up. Rather, I was pointing out that ASU Fans continually post better attendance numbers than UA. Yet, ASU Fans are still thought of as fair-weathered. Seems strange.

Also, last time I checked, no one cares about the percentage of your stadium that is full. Attendance rankings are based of number of butts in the seats.

Speaking of attendance rankings. Our "fair-weathered" fans were ranked 26 in the nation in total attendance last year (4th in the PAC-12) That's better than Oregon and Stanford (teams that were on Rose Bowl runs). ASU averaged 15,000 more people a game than Arizona in 2013! That's significant.

Meanwhile, this is in a competitive Phoenix sports market with several other options vying for the consumers dollar. Not to mention other non-sports related entertainment.

ASU better put up more attendance, they have twice the students and 5 times the population. Don't give me this unoriginal bullshit about the PHX sports market and other entertainment vying for the consumers' dollars. This isn't LA where USC has to compete with UCLA and the Lakers. The Cards play on the other side of the city, on Sunday. You have 70K+ students who are right at campus to watch their university team play. The rest of PHX sports can seriously go fuck themselves. I know there are a lot of PHX sports fans on here that are AZ fans, but if we really take a step back, the DBacks, Yotes (with the exception of '12), Suns, etc., are all hot fucking garbage. ASU, ranked #19 should draw the entire west side of the valley. If you guys gave two fucks about ASU that place would have a waiting list. You can't tell me that the fans are loyal, when they can put 67K asses in the seats, when there are 5 million people and 70K students. THe fact that you are bringing up this bullshit about other entertainment/sports, is the exact definition of fans that choose bullshit over Sun Devil Football. You have a seating capacity of 67K. That is your gauge. The degree of which your fans are loyal is the degree in which your place fills to capacity. Look at the Red Sox and the Giants. As much as I hate them, I can fully admit that their fans are more loyal than my Dodgers, because even though the Dodgers has the highest attendance in baseball, its only because they have a bigger stadium. Boston and SF run at about 99% of capacity every year. They hang in attendance despite the fact that their places hold far less. They have a more committed fan base. They don't come up with bullshit piss-poor excuses about how their is so much more to do in SF and Boston than go to a game. They fucking go. If you guys are top 20 and cant even sell your stadium out at more than 2K more than AZ in Tucson, then that is some pathetic shit that you are trying to pass off as a loyal fan base. Loyal bases decide to go to the game, period.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU better put up more attendance, they have twice the students and 5 times the population. Don't give me this unoriginal bullshit about the PHX sports market and other entertainment vying for the consumers' dollars. This isn't LA where USC has to compete with UCLA and the Lakers. The Cards play on the other side of the city, on Sunday. You have 70K+ students who are right at campus to watch their university team play. The rest of PHX sports can seriously go fuck themselves. I know there are a lot of PHX sports fans on here that are AZ fans, but if we really take a step back, the DBacks, Yotes (with the exception of '12), Suns, etc., are all hot fucking garbage. ASU, ranked #19 should draw the entire west side of the valley. If you guys gave two fucks about ASU that place would have a waiting list. You can't tell me that the fans are loyal, when they can put 67K asses in the seats, when there are 5 million people and 70K students. THe fact that you are bringing up this bullshit about other entertainment/sports, is the exact definition of fans that choose bullshit over Sun Devil Football. You have a seating capacity of 67K. That is your gauge. The degree of which your fans are loyal is the degree in which your place fills to capacity. Look at the Red Sox and the Giants. As much as I hate them, I can fully admit that their fans are more loyal than my Dodgers, because even though the Dodgers has the highest attendance in baseball, its only because they have a bigger stadium. Boston and SF run at about 99% of capacity every year. They hang in attendance despite the fact that their places hold far less. They have a more committed fan base. They don't come up with bullshit piss-poor excuses about how their is so much more to do in SF and Boston than go to a game. They fucking go. If you guys are top 20 and cant even sell your stadium out at more than 2K more than AZ in Tucson, then that is some pathetic shit that you are trying to pass off as a loyal fan base. Loyal bases decide to go to the game, period.

Your figures are incorrect and logic is flawed.

The population of the Phoenix MSA was around 4.33 million per the 2012 census.

Currently their are approximately 350,000 ASU Alumni worldwide.

Their are about 82,000 undergrad and graduate students across 4 separate campuses. Not all of them live on the Tempe.

Implying that ASU Football pulls from the entire city's population (like SF or Boston professional teams) is ambitious to say the least. The student section only holds 13,000 people. Over 10,000 students attended the Weber State game. They (the students) missed a sellout by a hair. Remember, we're talking about WEBER STATE. You better believe that the entire stadium will sellout for the UCLA game. So basically, you basing your opinion off personal expierence and not facts. Because the way I see it we have more students attend our games, more people attend our games, and a better year-over-year increase in attendance.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My figures are incorrect. Seriously, you are going to bitch about 670,000 people? That's a weak argument.

I see that there are 60k students at main campus.

Tucson sits at almost right at 1,000,000, and has a student population of almost 40k.

My argument remains. You have 4.3 times the total population of Tucson. You have 50% more students than AZ. AZ seats 57, and ASU now seats 67. You compare AZ and ASU, so I compared them. ASU has 4.3 times the population, 50% more students, apparently a bigger student section that brought more students, ranked #19 in the country, and you only got 2k more in attendance. Again, you filled at 77% capacity, AZ filled at 88%. Oh, and that FBS opponent you are raving about? Yeah, they had their first winning season last year in well over a decade, and most of those years have been 2-10. Give me a break.

Show me an indicator that says that AZ should be within 2k of seating of ASU. The mere fact that we are, shows that ASU fans are fewer per capita, by a long shot, than AZ fans. The loyal fans show up despite other sources of entertainment, precisely be cause they are loyal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, either he's got tunnel vision or is simply trying too hard to come out on top with his arguments. He's contradicting himself and isn't using common sense what so ever. Why is he having such a difficult time understanding that due to population potential, ASU should significantly out number UofA in attendance game in and game out. And by significant I mean a substantial difference in attendance and not a couple thousand.

ASU should be able to sell more tickets every single game than UofA. I mean it's simple logic! I understand that he mentioned that ASU has better attendance over us but they have the potential to best us by a much larger margin. Right? Or is a 2K margin good enough for him?

You better believe that the entire stadium will sellout for the UCLA game.

Well duh! I sure hope so for your sake! Way to use arguably your most important game of the season as your example of when you are going to fill your stadium. It would be an absolute embarrassment if you guys DIDNT fill the stadium with UCLA there. Listen man, I can appreciate you trying to stick up for your team but the fact remains, ASU doesn't quite have the following that you guys think you have. As soon as your team has a mediocre year again, your fans will flock once more.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've never claimed to be a football school, unlike the fans of ASU. Every year, all we hear from your fans is how elite your football program and how awesome youre team is gonna be but as soon as you're football team doesn't find success, out go the fans. And don't confuse our students leaving at half time with fair-weathered fans. That's just students wanting to get their party on. This is something I can attest to myself but something tells me that this culture of leaving at half time may be a thing of the past one day.

Persoanlly, I strongly believe that Arizona's football program is on the rise and has more upside than ASU's. I say this because our infastructure has a stronger foundation than ASU's. We have better facilities, better coaches, BETTER FANS, and we have a secret weapon in AD Greg Byrne who's worked wonders for us.

I believe that our program will have more success than ASU's sooner rather than later. I don't want to place a number on it. It could start this year or maybe we're still a few years out but the foundation is there and the fans are HUNGRY for success. I feel like every couple of months we have a significant donation from our loyal donors. Thats says a lot; it says that we are hungry for success and it's that drive that will push Arizona past ASU. Ask any UofA can out there and they will all tell you the same thing. They will tell you that we are on the verge of becoming relevant. We can feel it and it's all because of the foundation that has been set forth by Greg Byrne.

We never promised you a Rose Garden

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Took the words right out of my mouth! LOL Sting.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need new uniforms asap. These ones look horrible. How about something with the same design as our basketball uniforms.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need new uniforms asap. These ones look horrible. How about something with the same design as our basketball uniforms.

I've been saying that for two years now!

They are too flashy and ultimately just blur together and look like a kid who doesn't know how to color in between the lines. There are quite a few teams who seem to be trying to expand their uniform designs, but just haven't nailed it. Personally, I hate the numbers that fade from one color to another. I also don't like when parts of the jersey (e.g., the shoulder area) fades from one color to another.

We can definitely get a much cleaner jersey design. I understand that the football team might want to try and separate themselves from the basketball team, but they can get a jersey without it being a mirror of the basketball design.

First of all the university uses the Friz Quadrata font. Yet, our numbers are some bullshit computerized font. It looks like shit, go back to the Friz Quadrata. Next, it looks like they have moved past the fading colors inside of the numbers, but they still do it on the shoulder pads. That also looks like shit.

If the jerseys tend to look like the basketball design, maybe it's because the basketball program is, and has always been on the cutting edge of Nike Basketball jersey design. Might not hurt to take a page out of their book, at least to start. There are plenty of sharp looking football jerseys out there that mirror the school's basketball jerseys, simply because both sports use the university's classic font and color scheme. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We don't need a different uniform combo for the next 486 years. We can have 3 different color helmets, three jerseys, and three colors of pants. Make the names and numbers really stand clearly out from the jersey color and look sharp. Then just adjust the combos for home/away and whether or not we want a solid uniform combo, or switch the colors up of the helmet, jersey, and pants. It's not that tough, Byrne!!!

rover

a player not restricted to a particular position
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying that for two years now!

They are too flashy and ultimately just blur together and look like a kid who doesn't know how to color in between the lines. There are quite a few teams who seem to be trying to expand their uniform designs, but just haven't nailed it. Personally, I hate the numbers that fade from one color to another. I also don't like when parts of the jersey (e.g., the shoulder area) fades from one color to another.

We can definitely get a much cleaner jersey design. I understand that the football team might want to try and separate themselves from the basketball team, but they can get a jersey without it being a mirror of the basketball design.

First of all the university uses the Friz Quadrata font. Yet, our numbers are some bullshit computerized font. It looks like shit, go back to the Friz Quadrata. Next, it looks like they have moved past the fading colors inside of the numbers, but they still do it on the shoulder pads. That also looks like shit.

If the jerseys tend to look like the basketball design, maybe it's because the basketball program is, and has always been on the cutting edge of Nike Basketball jersey design. Might not hurt to take a page out of their book, at least to start. There are plenty of sharp looking football jerseys out there that mirror the school's basketball jerseys, simply because both sports use the university's classic font and color scheme. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We don't need a different uniform combo for the next 486 years. We can have 3 different color helmets, three jerseys, and three colors of pants. Make the names and numbers really stand clearly out from the jersey color and look sharp. Then just adjust the combos for home/away and whether or not we want a solid uniform combo, or switch the colors up of the helmet, jersey, and pants. It's not that tough, Byrne!!!

100% agree, I also liked the BIG Block A on the helmets vs the smaller one used now. The basketball team is repping the 97 championship team, the football team should rep the Desert Swarm teams of the 90's.

th

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2031 games are already scheduled? Man that's crazy.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ central apparently doesn't think Texas Tech is a power 5 team. If you read the article they say we have 3 power 5 opponents on our future schedule, mentioning Nebraksa, Kansas State, and Mississippi St., and then they show us playing Texas Tech in 2019-20. That's 4 by my count.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ central apparently doesn't think Texas Tech is a power 5 team. If you read the article they say we have 3 power 5 opponents on our future schedule, mentioning Nebraksa, Kansas State, and Mississippi St., and then they show us playing Texas Tech in 2019-20. That's 4 by my count.

I'm going to go with your count.