• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baylor Assistant Coach Caught Scouting Oklahoma on Sideline at OU-Tulsa Game, Breaking NCAA Rule

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Oklahoma football: Baylor assistant coach caught on sideline at OU-Tulsa game":

----

NORMAN — Bob Stoops called it “a pretty fundamental rule.”

Art Briles called it “embarrassing.”

Whatever you want to call it, Baylor assistant coach Jeff Lebby’s presence on the Tulsa sideline at Saturday’s game is a clear violation of NCAA bylaw 11.6.1, which prohibits “off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents.”

Lebby — Baylor’s passing game coordinator, running backs coach and offensive recruiting coordinator — stood on Tulsa’s sideline for at least one quarter of the Sooners’ 52-38 win Saturday on Owen Field. The OU graduate and former OU student assistant coach was in town for a wedding and stopped by the game with his wife to visit friends.

First-year Tulsa coach Philip Montgomery was previously Baylor’s offensive coordinator. The Bears were idle last week, and host the Sooners in Waco, Texas, on Nov. 14.

Montgomery issued a statement Monday afternoon admitting that he left credentials for Lebby and his wife, calling that decision “a mistake” and “a poor decision.”

“There was no malicious intent on my part,” Montgomery said in the statement. “I’ve known Jeff since he was in the sixth grade. I called Coach Stoops today and apologized for this situation.”

Stoops said earlier Monday he didn’t know Lebby was at the game until it was over.

“That’s not allowed,” Stoops said. “I don’t know what he was doing here. … It’s something that needs to be reported and needs to be dealt with through the Big 12 office and our people, so I’m sure they will.”

Briles, Baylor’s head coach, said he didn’t plan to discipline Lebby — Briles’ son-in-law — himself, but that he would leave any other penalties to the school’s compliance office.

Briles said he called Stoops to apologize Saturday evening after he learned about the situation.

“To me, there’s not an advantage first and foremost in today’s world,” Briles said. “We have every film they ever got and they get every film we’ve ever got.

“It’s unfortunate. I hate it. I hate it from the perception standpoint. But anybody who knows football knows, it’s like, if they want to have somebody come stand on our sideline, that’s alright. Because there is no advantage in doing it.”

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are running out of players and coaches to suspend.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok but seriously was this rule written before the invention of Television?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me just plain and simple common courtesy.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was on the sideline and had access to hand signals and actions of the OU coaching staff. I'm guessing you don't get that from film.

Spygate Baylor style.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nepotism and Cheating

That is par for the course in Waco.

After all the sleaze and criminality some good old fashioned bush league cheating seems tame for Art Briles.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor gonna Baylor.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Briles.
7367851.gif

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nepotism and Cheating

That is par for the course in Waco.

After all the sleaze and criminality some good old fashioned bush league cheating seems tame for Art Briles.
Is this the same tool that was bitching last season for not being in the playoffs?
artbriles.jpg :L

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the same tool that was bitching last season for not being in the playoffs?

Yes.

If some un-named coach is involved in a petty, whining, skeezy recruiting, lowclass ethics, criminal, sexist, or just outright morally disgusting storyline....

The default guess should always ART BRILES. He covers every base.

You have a better than 50/50 chance of alway being correct.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Wonders if these OU fans so up in arms about this realize he learned all about these coaching tricks as a student assistant coach at OU !***

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno, but J D Runnels, his roommate at OU, doesn't seem to think it's that big of a deal.

and FWIW, he played, but got hurt early in his first year and never played another down for OU. He kept his scholly and graduated.

He was roommates with former OU fullback J.D. Runnels, who said he saw and spoke with Lebby on the sideline at Saturday’s game.

Runnels called the situation a “non-story.”

“I know fans want there to be something, but there’s just not,” Runnels said. “Quite frankly, Baylor’s beat us the last two years. For him, there’s nothing to scout, sad to say. There wasn’t any note-taking. There was none of that.

“I don’t like Baylor, OK? I do not like Baylor. I don’t like that they’re having success. I’m glad he’s doing well, but I don’t like getting our a-- kicked at home or losing two years in a row to who used to be a bottom-feeder in this conference.

“If it was something, I would tell it. Trust me, but there’s nothing to tell.”

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love a good ol Baylor story as much as the next guy, and I think Briles is a sly SOB...

but whats the difference from him being on Tulsa's sideline or being 10 yards back and sitting front row in the crowd scouting?

Unless there are rules you cant physically be present at college football games and scout, and must get all scouting from film?

Now if he was on the Oklahoma sideline that would be different.

I just don't see how being on the opposite sideline is as bad as if he was in row 2 section 16 scouting.