• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barry Church

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there has been a lot of focus on the other Safety position, but does anyone else think Church is a lock at his position. I know he is a good tackler which is much needed especially with the loss of Lee. I would assume he have a leadership role as well on this defense. With that being said, he is a pretty good football player that could lose his starting spot IMO

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there has been a lot of focus on the other Safety position, but does anyone else think Church is a lock at his position. I know he is a good tackler which is much needed especially with the loss of Lee. I would assume he have a leadership role as well on this defense. With that being said, he is a pretty good football player that could lose his starting spot IMO

Loose his position to who? He more than likely will be one of, if not the Leader of the defense.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Will Allen thought he was one of the leaders of the defense as well. I like Church. I think he is a solid football player. He is basically a one yr starter though for the 3rd worst defense in history. I do understand a lot of things played into that and Church was actually a bright spot. With Lee being gone , I do think this strengthens his case to be a starter due to experience and tackling ability.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that Church is a lock to start this year. Personally I don't think he should be a lock to start, but I think he is. He seems to be one of the guys that the team and everyone around the team views as being better than he actually is. Kind of like Bradie, Gurode, Roy Williams and some others we've had over the years. I think as of today he is also one of the two best options to start at safety, but I don't think it is by enough that there shouldn't be any competition or that he should be written in ink as a starter. IMO Whether or not we have someone to step up and take his spot is a different discussion from whether or not we should be thinking about it...

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Whether or not we have someone to step up and take his spot is a different discussion from whether or not we should be thinking about it...

That can be said for almost EVERY position on this & every other mediocre team in the league.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see some competition there though. I really think thats why we didnt see Dix or Pryor drafted in the first round by us. Instead we took an OL which was a surprise pick but a good one. To me , it was also a telling pick. We have a 3rd rounder and a 4rth rounder on the roster along with a 7th rounder this year. Throw Heath, Hamilton and Church into the equation. Im assuming Wilcox and Church will be the two starters, but I wouldnt count out Johnson or Hamilton.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see some competition there though. I really think thats why we didnt see Dix or Pryor drafted in the first round by us. Instead we took an OL which was a surprise pick but a good one. To me , it was also a telling pick. We have a 3rd rounder and a 4rth rounder on the roster along with a 7th rounder this year. Throw Heath, Hamilton and Church into the equation. Im assuming Wilcox and Church will be the two starters, but I wouldnt count out Johnson or Hamilton.

Early on I am hearing Hamilton has progress from last year. If someone beats out Church it only makes the team better, but o don't see it happening.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Church remains NFL average on an NFL average team

I tend to agree with your assessment here. Thats why I was wondering about a possible upgrade. I know you cant fix everything in one year, but the OL pick in the first with the 2 safeties on the board has me believing the coaching staff either really loves Church or Johnson and Hamilton can really play. I could be wrong here but if I had to bet my house on picking one safety to for sure start the first game- I would pick Wilcox. Odds are Church will too, but I do think there is some competition out there and it will be fun watching.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think competition is very good for this football team. I actually get pissed when the line up is made out in May. That should only happen to a select number of guys on this team, and to me, Church isn't one of um

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be 0 locks a starter on this defense.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dallas doesn't play Church at FS EVER again. Church is a decidedly average SS, but he is garbage as a FS in the deep secondary. Too slow to play center field, Chirch isn't much more than an undersized linebacker. Kinda like Roy Williams, just without the flash and sizzle. Dallas really needs Wilcox to step up and lock down the FS spot.

I just don't understand the hype around Church. This guy actually received Pro Bowl consideration....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dallas doesn't play Church at FS EVER again. Church is a decidedly average SS, but he is garbage as a FS in the deep secondary. Too slow to play center field, Chirch isn't much more than an undersized linebacker. Kinda like Roy Williams, just without the flash and sizzle. Dallas really needs Wilcox to step up and lock down the FS spot.

I just don't understand the hype around Church. This guy actually received Pro Bowl consideration....

While I agree with everything you say about Church...with the way we play our safeties, or at least the way we played them last year there isn't much of a difference between SS and FS. That is why I wanted to get a true center fielder and hoped it would make us change to a little more single high looks. With the current personal I don't think you are going to see a huge difference between the FS and SS positions again this year.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with everything you say about Church...with the way we play our safeties, or at least the way we played them last year there isn't much of a difference between SS and FS. That is why I wanted to get a true center fielder and hoped it would make us change to a little more single high looks. With the current personal I don't think you are going to see a huge difference between the FS and SS positions again this year.

I believe you're right in thinking the Cowboys would play more single high if Dallas had a guy actually capable of doing it. I understand the principle of cover 2, but to say each safety is interchangeable I don't think is accurate. And when I have heard that line out of the organization in the past - Like when Rob Ryan was DC - I always viewed it as lip service to cover up for the fact that the team doesn't really have a true FS. Throughout the course of the game even Dallas goes single high, and when they do it rarely ends well. But as you said Jarntt, Dallas would probably deploy more single high sets if they had a guy actually capable of covering back there. I expect we will see more of it this year regardless, with a seemingly more aggressive Marinelli as DC.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we are w/o Ware , Hatcher , and Lee- but Im anxious to see this defense this yr. I do think our offense will help the defense especially with 3 RBs that should all contribute. Just the coaching staff knowing our players better- strngths and weakenesses- I think is gonna help. These DLinemen and LBs should be hungry as hell. I think we have some players in there with Wilbur and Holleman that not many count on. Have to get that pressure though.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anxious to see the defense too. Win, lose or draw I enjoy the ride. I am just as excited for this year as I would be if we were stacked. I just love watching Football in general and this team in Particular. Can't wait to see the new guys and guys like Wilcox and maybe even Johnson if he stays healthy. I think the CB play will be much better. Also can't wait to see Holloman and if he takes a step forward. I think there is a chance we can still get good LBer play this year even without Lee (not as good as with Lee of course). If Carter can learn his responsibilties I think he can play better too. Of course like you said we need to find a pass rush or the defense won't be very good no matter what else happens.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we are w/o Ware , Hatcher , and Lee- but Im anxious to see this defense this yr. I do think our offense will help the defense especially with 3 RBs that should all contribute. Just the coaching staff knowing our players better- strngths and weakenesses- I think is gonna help. These DLinemen and LBs should be hungry as hell. I think we have some players in there with Wilbur and Holleman that not many count on. Have to get that pressure though.

For this team to be competitive on the defensive side, Spencer, Melton, Crawford and Johnson will have to bounce back from last season's injuries, someone(Carter?) will need to step up at MLB, Carr and Mo will have to have bounce back years, Lawrence will need to be an 8 sack PRS, and Wilcox will have to take a step forward. That's a lot that has to go right, and if things go south, this could be the worst defense in the NFL

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority here. I think if johnson could stay on the field he would make some plays for us. I think church is decent,but not great. I don't see him getting beat out because there is not much talent at safety on this team.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this team to be competitive on the defensive side, Spencer, Melton, Crawford and Johnson will have to bounce back from last season's injuries, someone(Carter?) will need to step up at MLB, Carr and Mo will have to have bounce back years, Lawrence will need to be an 8 sack PRS, and Wilcox will have to take a step forward. That's a lot that has to go right, and if things go south, this could be the worst defense in the NFL

I think Spencer had career ending surgery. I am not expecting anything from him