• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad Stats

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but then again wRC+ is designed to estimate runs whereas OPS+ really isn't.

Fair enough, but then what are you demonstrating with OPS+? BA/OBP/SLG are good because each tells you something unique about the player, OPS doesn't do that.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the most overrated, or misused statistics in baseball?

Is it possible to agree on a top five?

I'll start with a few (in no order):

BA - W/L - Sv - RBI - FPct

I'm inclined to say BA and FPct are the most over-rated stats.

BA is a holdover from the dead ball era and FPct takes no account of a fielder's range
or of how much effort he puts into making difficult plays.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but then what are you demonstrating with OPS+? BA/OBP/SLG are good because each tells you something unique about the player, OPS doesn't do that.

OPS+ is just kind of an easier way to look at OBP and SLG in relation to the rest of the league.

But we're only talking about it because I said it's so horribly misused it's nearly meaningless. It's not like I'm a huge advocate for the stat. I just think it's better then wRC+. Your mileage may vary.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stat that i think is most underused and underrated i QS... I am a big fan of the stat... It has problems, but it is the only stat i know of that measures consistency... and i think that that is a huge factor in starting pitching...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OPS+ is just kind of an easier way to look at OBP and SLG in relation to the rest of the league.

But we're only talking about it because I said it's so horribly misused it's nearly meaningless. It's not like I'm a huge advocate for the stat. I just think it's better then wRC+. Your mileage may vary.

I really not trying to be a douche here, but it looks at OPS in relation to the league, not OBP and SLG. As I'm sure you know there is a difference between a 330/520 line and a 390/460 line.

To each their own though.