• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad News for DAD...Good News for Student Athletes

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well DAD looks like FINALLY the Football Players will get paid for playing football...the Supreme Court Unanimously voted in favor of the students handing a decision that the NCAA has violated Anti Trust Laws.. And we can thank one of our own for getting this ball rolling!....good for the athletes...they deserve it..

Former West Virginia football player Shawne Alston is the latest former student-athlete to sue the NCAA. Alston filed suit against the NCAA and college football's five major conferences on Wednesday, claiming they violated antitrust laws by agreeing to cap the value of an athletic scholarship at less than the actual cost of attending school.

Alston, a running back for West Virginia from 2009-12, says in the lawsuit that he had to take out a $5,500 loan to cover the difference between his scholarship and actual cost of attendance. The lawsuit says if a free-market existed in major-college football, cost of attendance, and possibly more, would be included in the scholarship.

"The NCAA and Power Conference Defendants have studied and acknowledged that a so-called 'full ride' scholarship does not cover the full cost of attending school," the lawsuit says. "Athletes are often a few thousand dollars short for the typical expenses of a student. These costs include money for gas, food, and other necessities. While players scrimp, coaches and universities most certainly do not. The average salary for major college football coaches is over $2 million, with some coaches earning over $7 million."

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of changes in store for college athletics.

I have no idea how things will turn out, but I'll be an observer with nothing vested.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not care, screw college sports. No skin off my back, just what did I lose?????? If this OU and Texas to the SEC happens, we will be playing in the CUSA and Marshall will get their wish to play us every year.........Should have stayed in the American when dumbass Luck took us to a league we never would belong in, as with the "playoff" expanding they will be included when the B12 folds in the coming months........