• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Avatar 2: The Way of Water (2022)

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't bet against James Cameron, this movie is already over 1B despite it kind-of bombing in China and having a smaller than expected opening weekend.

I liked it just as much as I liked the first one. It has basically the same problems with dialog and story, but just like the first one, what this does well, it knocks it out of the park.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone made an astute observation about Avatar being the highest grossing movie ever, but it’s never really referenced or quoted in day-to-day life.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avatar 2 has grossed $293,290,336 domestic and $955,234,966 globally after Christmas weekend. Cameron's film cost over $400 million to make plus marketing costs. Its break-even point has been reported to be $2 billion which it may reach after a few more weeks.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avatar 2 has grossed $293,290,336 domestic and $955,234,966 globally after Christmas weekend. Cameron's film cost over $400 million to make plus marketing costs. Its break-even point has been reported to be $2 billion which it may reach after a few more weeks.
The $2 billion estimate apparently comes from a comment from Cameron, but the "experts" say the break even is probably about $1.5 billion.

With production being $350 million to $460 million, and the general rule-of-thumb is twice production costs, that seems more realistic even with additional promotion and distribution costs beyond normal percentages.
Also, don't forget the $170 million that advertisers paid into the film for product promotion, so they are already around $1.2 billion in the coffers. So they should easily pass into profit this weekend.

Not sure if I'm going to spend my money in theatres about it or not. It seems to be everything as expected: Visually spectacular, but slightly lacking in story and character depth. However seeing it on IMAX might be worthwhile.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the $2 billion break even was excessive too. Probably an off the cuff comment by Cameron. I haven't seen the movie yet but I have a feeling that despite the super effects, I may not like part of the film since there will be much focus on getting to know the "family" crap which will slow down the movie. Just give me the action.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the $2 billion break even was excessive too. Probably an off the cuff comment by Cameron. I haven't seen the movie yet but I have a feeling that despite the super effects, I may not like part of the film since there will be much focus on getting to know the "family" crap which will slow down the movie. Just give me the action.

Who knows, but I don't think it will reach $2B, since it's underperforming in China, but somewhere around $1.6B seems like a sure bet, which would ensure that the movie is profitable in its theatrical run (that's before merch sales, licensing, streaming, theme park rides and everything else).

It will be interesting to see what kind of interest / box office the rest of the sequels will get. Story-wise this movie is bland and isn't really having a big cultural impact. Lots of people want to see it in theaters because of the visual experience, but just like the previous one, it's not really generating a ton of conversation outside of the big box office numbers, so that probably will not translate into a ton of hunger for the sequels.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, but I don't think it will reach $2B, since it's underperforming in China, but somewhere around $1.6B seems like a sure bet, which would ensure that the movie is profitable in its theatrical run (that's before merch sales, licensing, streaming, theme park rides and everything else).

It will be interesting to see what kind of interest / box office the rest of the sequels will get. Story-wise this movie is bland and isn't really having a big cultural impact. Lots of people want to see it in theaters because of the visual experience, but just like the previous one, it's not really generating a ton of conversation outside of the big box office numbers, so that probably will not translate into a ton of hunger for the sequels.

Well, the movie got a $billion in less than two weeks, and like the first Avatar, it will keep bringing in fans for three months. $2 billion is a cinch and I think $3 billion is likely. This is the most visual experience out there and I think people are lusting for an escape that is the amazing scenic marvels of Pandora.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the movie got a $billion in less than two weeks, and like the first Avatar, it will keep bringing in fans for three months. $2 billion is a cinch and I think $3 billion is likely. This is the most visual experience out there and I think people are lusting for an escape that is the amazing scenic marvels of Pandora.

We'll see if it has enough legs, and it's closer to, say, Top Gun Maverick or your average Marvel film (Wakanda Forever for example, had already made 75% of its current total by the end of its second week) ... if it actually makes $3B, they better greenlight every sequel that James Cameron can dream of.

Last edited:

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another big weekend without a drop from last week ... $2B is much more likely now.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took all the kiddos to see it finally. About even with the first movie plot wise, as ridiculous as "unobtainium" was in the original, to completely ignore it in this one was equally stupid. About the same amount of attachments to characters, maybe even slightly less. But the pure visuals are every bit as good as the first. Worth it for me. But imax tickers cost as much nowadays per ticket as if would cost to buy the whole movie. That 2 billion number means something different when they only need to sell 37 tickets to get there.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another big weekend without a drop from last week ... $2B is much more likely now.
Needs about another $600 million to get there. Don’t think it’ll touch Top Gun domestically though.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs about another $600 million to get there. Don’t think it’ll touch Top Gun domestically though.

Me neither, but it is exploding overseas. I think it already has caught up with Spider-Man: No way home worldwide box-office at the same point after New Year's weekend, but while Spider-Man opened bigger, Avatar is showing stronger legs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really any question about who Kitty's father is?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over $2 billion after 6 weeks. Cameron is the only director who can boast that three of his films are among the six to have made over $2 billion - 1997 Titanic, 2009 Avatar I, and 2022 Avatar II.