• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ASG rosters

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Travis Wood make the NL squad along with Chapman.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Choo got hosed....so did Latos.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still time for guys to make the team as replacements.
The guy who is going to slide in there is Puig. MLB wants SOOOOO BAD for this guy to make it. The write-in competition he faces is as dull as dirt.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I don't think Puig should be an All-Star, He is gonna take a spot that could go to a guy that has been good and consistent all year. But I agree CINCY THE RED how in the fuck does Travis Wood get in but Latos doesn't? I get that every team has to have a representative, but damn thats just not fair, Latos is clearly the better pitchers and has had a better year. Hell if it wasn't for the bullpen blowing games he could have around 13 wins and being a option on starting the game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy is picking the pitchers. He probably likes Wood being a lefty, as if that mattered in the ASG with a roster of almost anybody who can grab a bat. Wood probably earned a spot for some of his work, though. Latos? Yeah, he should be there but to be honest, I'd rather he took the 3 days off.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig is this years Bryce Harper. Going to get every opportunity to be a MLB product salesman. I don't doubt either of those young guys relevance to the near term future, but like Harper last year, Puig hadn't been around very long, and it would be tough for me to exclude a full time player with good stats for a month long flavor of the minute, but it's about votes and the managers choice to a large degree. There are only so many spots, and there are always deserving people that get left out. There are a whole lot of OF's, so maybe Choo doesn't deserve a spot after his big slide, but Jay Bruce ? His stats are impressive, on both sides of the field. It will be interesting to see his year end stats- I expect a career year from him. I'm also wondering what this Reds offense would look like with a lineup of Choo, Phillips, Votto, Bruce. Won't happen, but sure would be tougher on opposing pitching to get by those guys...even if the rest were pushovers, getting these guys an additional AB every now and then might be more productive.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Choo's stats dropped off precipitously after the first month and a half of baseball, so it's not surprising that he wasn't selected, imo. I thought Bruce might get an AS nod because he's done pretty well so far, but apparently not. If Puig gets in it will be a travesty. Only reason he's getting this much attention is because he plays for LA. If he was on the Reds, ESPN wouldn't even be able to pronounce his name...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The write-in vote is so slanted toward Puig it's not funny. I don't much care if he makes the team but at least he ought to be in the competition against some guys who you actually heard of.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood is over Latos for a few reasons. Wood is a Cub, as the Cubs don't have very many players, they had to pick a Cub. Wood is 6th in ERA in NL with 2.69. Idk if that is SP or Pitchers as a whole in NL. Idk how Latos is doing, but I believe wood has been better. But the fact not one of the trio of Bruce/Latos/choo made the team surprised me.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos would have a kick-ass record if he hadn't had about 5 games blown for him by the bullpen. All the same, I am real happy to see Wood picked for the team. Not a lot of bright lights at Wrigley.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has to be represented, and that fact always costs some more deserving guy a spot. The Dodgers have had lots of expensive problems...and if they still have enough fans to get a write-in in the game, it's a miracle.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Déjavu? Remember 2011-Reds were about 4 games out of 1st, and Dusty decided to rest his All Stars in the week following because "they didn't get a break"... and the Reds dropped out of real contention ? Hoping to avoid such this time around. Although the Reds have a good record at first glance, it's disturbing how futile they look against .500 teams, and how toothless the offense appears so frequently.

Last night against the Brewers, the Reds best "opportunity" came with 2 outs ( a common theme) and 2 on, Cozart at the plate. End of inning. IMO, the result of the inevidible math that a .235 hitter in the 2 hole comes to fail more often than if he was lower in the lineup, even if he's sandwiched in between All Stars. It's not just Cozart, but his ridiculously exposed lineup role glares at me.

Bronson Arroyo mentioned the upcoming trade deadline, and potential for teams to buy or sell depending on their position in the standings. As a free agent at the end of the season, like Choo, this may weigh more on his mind than others, but he's right. In not sure the Reds have the wherewithal to add much, but if they increase their deficit as a 3rd place team, they may just decide to sell off some players. Or not. Sometimes, nothing is the right move...but a team like the Pirates, with a low payroll and a few minor league trade pieces could make a move to improve. It seems the Cardinals usually make a roster playoff push.. and what does status quo buy in 3rd place behind those two teams ? Maybe, only another year on Dusty's contract.