• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As we prepare for baseball...do you know anyone who played pro ball?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@nynasty will remember my friend tim.

Tim Norton Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

he's the pitching coach for the trenton thunder now. if his arm had held up (he loved his slider a bit too much but it was lethal) he would have been the next great yankee reliever. i think he had 10 surgeries in his career.

i also knew mark fidrych personally, as he did work for my father (side business building mansions, living in them for 2 years to avoid capital gains, then sells). he died at a family friends asphalt business in Northborough.

how about you?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not baseball, but Fulton Kuykendall was a linebacker for the Falcons in the 70’s and 80’s. I talked to him pretty much every Saturday morning before Covid started

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I had a seventh grade class with NBA player Chris Singleton. He moved to a better area for basketball after 7th grade

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to drink with Ray Fosse's dad and knew his brother.

Ray didn't hang around Marion much after he got famous.

Knew Jim Shotton who got drafted in the 3rd round by the KC Athletics. Ray Fosse caught him in high school. I can't find any stats that he ever pitched in the minors although I saw a pic of him in a KC uniform. He went to Vietnam so maybe that's why.

So no.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm pretty big. 6'3 (was 265 playing bal
I actually remember him from when I was a kid. Pretty cool
im a pretty big guy (6'3, was 265 at the time playing ball). he dwarfed me. we only used him on the o-line in college, on goal line spots. he was a stud defensive lineman for D3. but basically a plodding, slow white guy who was strong as fuck (they usually convert those guys to offensive lineman). i saw him take on 3 blockers once for a sack. triple teamed, pushed them aside like he was searching for a shirt in his closet.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played 40+ ball with a guy who had something like a 12.00 ERA in the majors and gave up a HR to Bonds....of course, he dominated our league. He was also a good lefty hitter for us.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have gotten a better grade in Unified Engineering (and maybe stayed in course 16, he stuck it out so good on him) if Jason Szuminski and I hadn't been partners for so many projects. He would say the same about me though, I'm sure :wink:

Jason Szuminski Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Oh, I also played men's league hockey against Derek Aucoin at Chelsea Piers in NYC for a number of years. He has terminal cancer now I believe, very sad, he was always a really nice guy.

Derek Aucoin Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played 40+ ball with a guy who had something like a 12.00 ERA in the majors and gave up a HR to Bonds....of course, he dominated our league. He was also a good lefty hitter for us.

My old college friend got Barry out! A homer would have been either to tie or pass (can't recall) the Say Hey Kid too, he could have been a trivia answer but the fly ball was maybe 15 feet short. Getting him out is a better story for the grandkids though.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J R Reid
Alzono Mourning
David Robinson
Ricky Rudd
Keith Goganious
Matt Darby
Al Chamblee
D J Dozier
Scott LaChance

I had a nice little list of ones I either knew or played against in my teens early 20s. But all the baseball players except for Dozier came along after me.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@nynasty will remember my friend tim.

Tim Norton Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

he's the pitching coach for the trenton thunder now. if his arm had held up (he loved his slider a bit too much but it was lethal) he would have been the next great yankee reliever. i think he had 10 surgeries in his career.

i also knew mark fidrych personally, as he did work for my father (side business building mansions, living in them for 2 years to avoid capital gains, then sells). he died at a family friends asphalt business in Northborough.

how about you?

That dude's slider was filthy. I remember you telling me you knew him.

I knew a few guys who got drafted and played pro ball, but no one who made the show.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My grandpas brother played minor league ball in the late 30's and early 40's. Shattered his leg playing local fall ball. Never played baseball again and ran the farm for the next 50 years till he was murdered.

Two of my cousins are college QBs right now. Or might be again, in the spring, idk.

Greg Cadaret used to own a bowling alley/bar/softball facility not too far from me. Went to shit after he sold it. Closed now. We'd go there on weekends during the winter, he always seemed happy to talk pitching with kids.
Greg Cadaret Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Neighbors kid is on a 40 man right now. Waiting to make his debut. We'll see.

Coached football at Jason Babin's former HS. His dad is real cool.

And Tony Scheffler is an asshole.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My grandpas brother played minor league ball in the late 30's and early 40's. Shattered his leg playing local fall ball. Never played baseball again and ran the farm for the next 50 years till he was murdered.

Two of my cousins are college QBs right now. Or might be again, in the spring, idk.

Greg Cadaret used to own a bowling alley/bar/softball facility not too far from me. Went to shit after he sold it. Closed now. We'd go there on weekends during the winter, he always seemed happy to talk pitching with kids.
Greg Cadaret Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Neighbors kid is on a 40 man right now. Waiting to make his debut. We'll see.

Coached football at Jason Babin's former HS. His dad is real cool.

And Tony Scheffler is an asshole.

I remember Cadaret from the Yankees dark days in the early 90s. Dude could eat some innings.

Part of the return when they shipped Rickey back west.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played with this kid all through high school.

Justin Knoff Minor & Independent Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Caught this guy in the bullpen my freshman year of college. He threw 5 shutouts, including the only nine-inning no-hitter I saw outside of the pros.

Chad Coward Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

This guy was another funny dude, was a year ahead of me in college.

Joe Dooley Independent Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

And Tony Womack worked out with us one day before reporting to spring training, the year the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I met quite a few current players through my college internship.

One even hooked me up with tickets to a game a few years ago.