• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

arian foster

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad someone stepped up. kudos to foster.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is telling the absolute truth, it is impossible for guys. When you are a college football player you don't know where that final meal is coming from, when I was in college we have meals from Monday through Saturday but on Sunday you had to fend for yourself. Roman Noodles don't do too much when you are a football player and need fuel, we used to chop up hot dogs and put it in there which helped but you are still starving afterwards. I had my parents send me money, they were never going to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arian Foster says he took benefits while playing for Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

Arian Foster says he took benefits

Updated: September 20, 2013, 10:05 PM ET
By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com
Email
Print

Foster Took Benefits While At Tennessee

Tania Ganguli on Arian Foster's comments saying that he took benefits while playing for Tennessee.Tags: College Football, Tennessee Volunteers, Arian Foster

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans running back Arian Foster says he isn't scared of the NCAA, and hopes his revelations about being paid while playing in college at Tennessee will change rules about amateurism in college athletics.

"I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years," Foster said Friday. "That's why I said what I said. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus. ... I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them."

Foster I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them.
” -- Texans RB Arian Foster

In an interview for a documentary called "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," Foster said he received extra payments so he could afford rent and food while playing at Tennessee. An excerpt of the documentary was obtained by and posted on SI.com.

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year (2008), I was getting money on the side," Foster said in the video. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Foster went on to describe a situation in which he had no food or money and called a coach.

"Either you give us some food or I'm gonna go do something stupid," Foster recalled telling him.

The coach brought Foster and three others 50 tacos, Foster said in the documentary while chuckling at the thought that that the action constituted an NCAA violation.

Foster played at Tennessee from 2005-08 under Hall of Fame coach Phillip Fulmer. Foster said Friday he never took money from coaches, but there were always people around the program willing to help him financially.

Andrew Muscato, a documentary producer, says Foster didn't specify how much he received.

"We can't speak to something that allegedly happened a long time ago," Dave Hart, Tennessee vice chancellor and athletic director, said in a statement. "What we can say is that the values and priorities of our athletics department and football program are aligned, and the constant education of our student-athletes regarding the rules and the consequences of their choices is of the highest priority."

Foster said Friday he considered the repercussions of his actions and how they might impact Tennessee, which is on NCAA probation through Aug. 23, 2015. He decided the rewards were greater than the risks.

"Look at the attention it's getting," Foster said. "They really have us hoodwinked into thinking taking money is wrong as a college athlete. It's wrong for us, but it's not wrong for them. I guarantee every NCAA official has a (BMW) or Benz or something. That's not wrong, but it's wrong for me to get $20 to get something to eat? Dez Bryant couldn't get taken out to dinner by Deion Sanders, his mentor, he sat out a whole season because of that? That's not wrong? But if you can drive around in a Benz, that's OK? It's not right."

[+] EnlargeArian Foster
J. Meric/Getty ImagesArian Foster says he took benefits while in college at Tennessee so he could pay for food and rent.

The NCAA suspended Bryant, the former Oklahoma State star, in September 2009 for the rest of that season for lying about having lunch with Sanders.

Asked if his financial situation got more difficult after he stopped living in dorms and eating from the dining hall, Foster said it was worse when he lived on campus.

"I think my check was like $87 a month in dorm rooms," Foster said. "You had meals Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday you had to fend for yourself. I guess that's what the $87 was for. At the end of the month you don't have any money, your family can't send you any money, a lot of those guys -- 80 percent of the team is made up of kids from the inner city."

Foster disagreed that a "free education" was a just reward, saying the education wasn't free because college athletes put in just as much work as professional athletes.

"Except I can go make money off of my name," Foster said. "I can go get a side job if I really wanted to. The NCAA takes away your constitutional rights as an American of not being able to go get a job."

He called for an end to what he considers the guise of amateurism in college sports.

Said Foster: "It's just amazing to me that adults let this go on."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he stepped up as well.

I think this video basically describes the situation.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody really care? We all know college athletes get some kind of benefits.

San Jose State hands out $200.00 to each player when they travel to away games.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh why come out now? Smells fishy if you ask me, he is getting paid in some form to speak out

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, okay:

"I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years," Foster said Friday. "That's why I said what I said. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus. ... I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them."

You're a successful and rich NFL player. Why would you be scared of the NCAA? What on Earth can the NCAA do to you now, Arian?

You wanna make a difference? You do it while you're in college, not when you're an all-pro in the NFL.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got mixed feelings on this....

First, there are plenty of people in college just as poor as the student athletes without a free ride. Some financial aid is available but it doesn't cover everything for them either.

Second, how do you divide the cash? Does Johnny Football get the same check as the third string place kicker or the last player off the bench on the women's field hockey team?

Finally, anyone who thinks this will stop payouts by boosters or agents is CRAZY. The corruption will still exist as programs and agents fight for the best recruits. You're delusional if you think otherwise.

I'm absolutely not a fan of the NCAA.....but there's no clear cut or easy answer to the issue.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, okay:

You're a successful and rich NFL player. Why would you be scared of the NCAA? What on Earth can the NCAA do to you now, Arian?

You wanna make a difference? You do it while you're in college, not when you're an all-pro in the NFL.

I think what he is saying is that now that he is a rich and successful NFL player, he doesn't have to be afraid of the NCAA anymore but he was when he was in college because his future was on the line.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what he is saying is that now that he is a rich and successful NFL player, he doesn't have to be afraid of the NCAA anymore but he was when he was in college because his future was on the line.

Yes, but why say "I'm not scared of them anymore"? What the hell can they do to him now? Seems like he's being a bit over-dramatic.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, there are plenty of people in college just as poor as the student athletes without a free ride. Some financial aid is available but it doesn't cover everything for them either.

Second, how do you divide the cash? Does Johnny Football get the same check as the third string place kicker or the last player off the bench on the women's field hockey team?

Finally, anyone who thinks this will stop payouts by boosters or agents is CRAZY. The corruption will still exist as programs and agents fight for the best recruits. You're delusional if you think otherwise.

I'm absolutely not a fan of the NCAA.....but there's no clear cut or easy answer to the issue.

I don't know about PLENTY of people in college that are as poor who aren't on any kind of scholarship, I'm sure there are some but it is hard to imagine too many kids as poor as Ben McLemore who are in college as regular students.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but why say "I'm not scared of them anymore"? What the hell can they do to him now? Seems like he's being a bit over-dramatic.

It is a bit dramatic, sure. But I get what he is trying to say.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I'm on the fence on this one. Who gets paid? Do they all get paid? Do certain positions get paid more than other positions? Do first stringers get paid more the third stringers? Given that they are already on a full-ride, HOW much do they get paid? Do they get paid before, during, or after the season? I can't help but think that paying college athletes is just gonna create more of mess.

One thing I would be in favor of is creating an annuity for the players stipulating that they get paid down the line after they graduate. They would still be paid, but the $$$ wouldn't reach them until they are no longer attending the university or college.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I'm on the fence on this one. Who gets paid? Do they all get paid? Do certain positions get paid more than other positions? Do first stringers get paid more the third stringers? Given that they are already on a full-ride, HOW much do they get paid? Do they get paid before, during, or after the season? I can't help but think that paying college athletes is just gonna create more of mess.

One thing I would be in favor of is creating an annuity for the players stipulating that they get paid down the line after they graduate. They would still be paid, but the $$$ wouldn't reach them until they are no longer attending the university or college.

I would be on board with paying players after they graduate. However I do think that players need more monthly money during the school year, unlike other students they can't simply get a job as college football and academics are basically a full time job in themselves.

As for the questions, I do think the players should be paid more or less by status kind of like the NFL.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think paying them would be a good idea. would should happen is, their cost of living should be assessed and based on that assessment, give them a student debit card for rent, food, hygiene products, etc... The school would have access to view transactions and monitor its use to make sure its being utilize properly.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be on board with paying players after they graduate. However I do think that players need more monthly money during the school year, unlike other students they can't simply get a job as college football and academics are basically a full time job in themselves.

As for the questions, I do think the players should be paid more or less by status kind of like the NFL.

Why? Are certain players more inclined to get injured than other players? Who's gonna negotiate who gets paid what? Are the salaries fixed year to year, or are they inflation-proof? Is there guaranteed money? Bonuses?

And who says college football players can't get a job?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about PLENTY of people in college that are as poor who aren't on any kind of scholarship, I'm sure there are some but it is hard to imagine too many kids as poor as Ben McLemore who are in college as regular students.

I'm sure it depends on the school but I think there are a lot more than people think. Lots of examples from my college days, but I knew one guy who basically lived in his car because he couldn't afford rent after he paid tuition, books, and fed himself. He came from nothing and knew he'd wind up in jail if stayed in his home town. He worked a part time job and sent some of his money home because he had younger siblings. It was sad to watch him Western Union 40 bucks and the fee was another 20. But he knew they needed help.

He fought his way through and is a teacher last I heard.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Clyde

and I'm glad Tomikcon said "First, there are plenty of people in college just as poor as the student athletes without a free ride. Some financial aid is available but it doesn't cover everything for them either. "

I'm a bit of a dick with little sympathy for these matters when it comes to "paying" these collegiate athletes... I cannot believe the schools could not give these kids food... i'm sure food was fucking available for them. Now, if he was talking about his family, thats a different story and IMO not the school's problem. That's government aid, if you need it.

BTW, Foster... No ncaa, no nfl, no $$$...... Don't like it, don't play or sign up for it at that time. There are hundreds of students with no benefit or option to go "pro" to make the millions to repay their loans...work maybe twice as hard as an athlete to go out and hope to land a job that pays significantly less than an athlete would make.

sorry, but sh*t like this pisses me off.