• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we in store for a Burrell, DeRosa, Panda platoon?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the recent signings, will we see Burrell in LF and DeRosa at 3B when the Giants face a LHP and DeRosa in LF and Panda at 3B when the Giants face a RHP?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the recent signings, will we see Burrell in LF and DeRosa at 3B when the Giants face a LHP and DeRosa in LF and Panda at 3B when the Giants face a RHP?

Probably something similar, at least.

I am OK with that. Going with the hot-hand worked for us this past year. When about 35% of your payroll goes to useless commodities (Zito, Rowand, DeRosa), you dont have much left over to afford the studs who play 100% of the time. You have to use as much specialization as you can.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably something similar, at least.

I am OK with that. Going with the hot-hand worked for us this past year. When about 35% of your payroll goes to useless commodities (Zito, Rowand, DeRosa), you dont have much left over to afford the studs who play 100% of the time. You have to use as much specialization as you can.

This. Throw in some Tejada at 3rd, too. Especially, if they sign Hardy, but even if they go with Burriss. I'm a little worried about the range on the left side of the diamond, but a Hardy signing would ease my mind. Even a Cabrera signing would ease my mind, but I don't think I'd like the money it would take.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Throw in some Tejada at 3rd, too. Especially, if they sign Hardy, but even if they go with Burriss. I'm a little worried about the range on the left side of the diamond, but a Hardy signing would ease my mind. Even a Cabrera signing would ease my mind, but I don't think I'd like the money it would take.

Cabrera only made about $2 million last year. I didn't watch him closely last year, but he's always been a very good fielder with a good arm and good range. Of course, if all of this is STILL true, why didn't he get more offers last offseason? Age? Hitting woes?

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CF-Torres
2B-Sanchez
1B-Belt
C-Posey
LF-Huff/Burrell
RF-Ross
3B-Sandoval/Derosa
SS-Tejada ...............Thats my lefty/righty platoon :cool:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera only made about $2 million last year. I didn't watch him closely last year, but he's always been a very good fielder with a good arm and good range. Of course, if all of this is STILL true, why didn't he get more offers last offseason? Age? Hitting woes?

Good point, Colin. I guess my mind was stuck in two years ago in terms of Cabrera's value and price tag. I overestimated both. Hardy is still the first choice, but even a 37-year-old O.C. at $2.5 mil will provide more offense and similar range with a better arm than Burris. I never thought I would type that because I've always been a big fan of Emmanuel, but he hasn't really taken the steps that I thought he would to become a solid, everyday major leaguer. Still dig that footspeed, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, Colin. I guess my mind was stuck in two years ago in terms of Cabrera's value and price tag. I overestimated both. Hardy is still the first choice, but even a 37-year-old O.C. at $2.5 mil will provide more offense and similar range with a better arm than Burris. I never thought I would type that because I've always been a big fan of Emmanuel, but he hasn't really taken the steps that I thought he would to become a solid, everyday major leaguer. Still dig that footspeed, though.

I was a pretty decent Manny fan as well, and I am ready to move on...

However...

Kid has been on the shelf for the better part of 2 years now. I say push him hard in ST and see what happens. If his foot shatters rounding second base again, cut ties and move on. If he is able to play without getting hurt, maybe he fills the pinch-runner AND Util Inf position for us for at least a part of the year.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a pretty decent Manny fan as well, and I am ready to move on...

However...

Kid has been on the shelf for the better part of 2 years now. I say push him hard in ST and see what happens. If his foot shatters rounding second base again, cut ties and move on. If he is able to play without getting hurt, maybe he fills the pinch-runner AND Util Inf position for us for at least a part of the year.

And the fact that his ceiling has been lowered to that, bums me out. Yet, it is still fact, and he can still contribute, so I can take solace in that. Do you think Darren Ford will ever be able to hit major league pitching at a .280 clip? And/or have an OBP around .340?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the fact that his ceiling has been lowered to that, bums me out. Yet, it is still fact, and he can still contribute, so I can take solace in that. Do you think Darren Ford will ever be able to hit major league pitching at a .280 clip? And/or have an OBP around .340?

I am no scout, so I can not project that. MY gut says no. He has no power at all, which means he will never scare a pitcher enough to work many walks, so his OBP should never be that great.

I view Ford as a BEST CASE SCENARIO Donnell Nixon light.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no scout, so I can not project that. MY gut says no. He has no power at all, which means he will never scare a pitcher enough to work many walks, so his OBP should never be that great.

I view Ford as a BEST CASE SCENARIO Donnell Nixon light.

That's what I feared. Not even Otis Nixon without the switch hitting and the blow? How about D-Lew with less leather and work ethic? :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I feared. Not even Otis Nixon without the switch hitting and the blow? How about D-Lew with less leather and work ethic? :)

If we get a D-Lew out of him, that would be AWESOME!!!

I just don't see it. Pinch hitter at best with no power.

Of course, who has the 50,000th HR in Giants history?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hardy was tendered a contract by the Twins yesterday, and I REALLY don't want to see Sabean making any more trades with the Twins.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy was tendered a contract by the Twins yesterday, and I REALLY don't want to see Sabean making any more trades with the Twins.

Probably a good idea. That's why I respect you tzill. Always using common sense over desire. Never blinded by the hope for one player that could destroy the team for a decade.