• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Appalachian Outlaws

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watch it? It’s growing on me; those are some crazy hillbillies.....

appalachian-outlaws.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand that show.

Kid seems to love it, I want to shoot the TV.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate the show. I'm tired of all the hillbilly shows that History channel considers, legitimate programming. I'm not anti-hillbilly but how about put some shows on about, I don't know, history en sech?

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, those are my peeps. I have a shit-ton of relatives in dirt poor SE Kentucky. Coal mining and meth are the chief economic engines, but I have never heard of growing ginseng before in all of my years. Had no idea it grew in the Appalachian Mountains. Given the price, it’s certainly no wonder there’s armed conflict when it comes to digging the stuff. I know these shows are pretty much staged, but I don’t doubt there are real-life shootings over this crop. Hell it seems more lucrative than weed or meth.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of shows are scripted (for wow factor), rehearsed, and filmed. The chasing each other through the woods with guns is staged. Competition to buy the ginseng is staged. The stand-offs are staged.

I want to see History shows on the History Channel.
If you want to do a series on the History of the Appalachian's great. I'm all in. If you want to dedicate a one hour episode of the series to Ginseng hunting great. If you want to put in there that some people trespass to hunt ginseng and it pisses other people off, great. Now let's move along.

People trespass to hunt Morel mushrooms for 3 weeks a year here. Fresh Morels sell for up to $125 a pound retail. People get kicked off of land they are not supposed to be on all of the time.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, those are my peeps. I have a shit-ton of relatives in dirt poor SE Kentucky. Coal mining and meth are the chief economic engines, but I have never heard of growing ginseng before in all of my years. Had no idea it grew in the Appalachian Mountains. Given the price, it’s certainly no wonder there’s armed conflict when it comes to digging the stuff. I know these shows are pretty much staged, but I don’t doubt there are real-life shootings over this crop. Hell it seems more lucrative than weed or meth.

I never knew ginseng grew in the United States. I always thought it grew in Asia.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of shows are scripted (for wow factor), rehearsed, and filmed. The chasing each other through the woods with guns is staged. Competition to buy the ginseng is staged. The stand-offs are staged.

I want to see History shows on the History Channel.
If you want to do a series on the History of the Appalachian's great. I'm all in. If you want to dedicate a one hour episode of the series to Ginseng hunting great. If you want to put in there that some people trespass to hunt ginseng and it pisses other people off, great. Now let's move along.

People trespass to hunt Morel mushrooms for 3 weeks a year here. Fresh Morels sell for up to $125 a pound retail. People get kicked off of land they are not supposed to be on all of the time.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in total agreement about the “History” Channel. They haven’t had a true history perspective in some time. That train left the station years ago.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see a show on how the mountains were formed millions of years ago, how they were populated hundreds of years ago, how their economies have transformed over the years. etc.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t get me wrong, I’m in total agreement about the “History” Channel. They haven’t had a true history perspective in some time. That train left the station years ago.

Yep.

Teach me about the Appalachian's. I'm all in.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me either, kinda blew my mind. My boss said he's known of people hunting/selling ginseng for many many years though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrible show.

interestingly though, I have an uncle who was adopted, and grew up within a couple of hours of where the show is....I think he might be related to the Koffman guy on the show, crazy how similar they look (interesting to me anyways)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid and forced. All those types of shows are forced. They find locals willing to be on TV and play up stereotypes. I usually can't stand those shows. Only one I actually like is Swamp People. Just dudes hunting gators. Same shit every week yet somehow it doesn't get old.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you guys. First off I wasn't aware "sing" grew in Appalachia and 2nd I had no idea it was worth killing over.

Another forced Moonshiners show that is staged