• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing new but it's cool as hell - many programs are able to send their teams abroad during the Summer. I can't remember Izzo ever doing it before...pretty awesome itinerary.

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State made official today what Tom Izzo mentioned as a likelihood right after the 2014-15 season ended -- his team will take a tour to Italy this summer for some hoops and some culture.
The Spartans, coming off Izzo's seventh Final Four in his 20th season as head coach, will play four games on their visit from Aug. 21 to Sept. 1. MSU athletic director Mark Hollis said he wanted to create a "study-abroad type experience" for the Spartans, and they'll stop in in Rome, Florence, Maranello, Verona, Trieste, and Venice.

They'll visit the Roman Forum, Roman Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Sistine Chapel, Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, St. Mark's Square and the Grand Canal, along with the U.S. Army Base in Vicenza.

MSU will play one game in Florence on Aug. 25, and then take part in a three-game tournament in Trieste from Aug. 28-30 against senior men's national teams from Italy, Russia and Georgia. Those teams will use the tournament as a tune-up for Eurobasket 2015 and an attempt to earn a spot in the 2016 Summer Olympics.

MSU returns 10 letterwinners from its 27-win, Final Four season and brings in one of the highest-ranked classes in the nation.

"This trip will provide an excellent early measuring stick for our team, in addition to being a great bonding experience for a new group of guys," MSU coach Tom Izzo said in a statement. "It was widely documented that one of the reasons we had such great success in the postseason was the unique chemistry of our team. While many of those same players are returning, we also will have several new players joining the mix, and others playing new and expanded roles. This trip can serve as a foundation, both on and off the court, for what we hope can be a special season in 2015-16.

"On the court, we'll be facing terrific opponents – teams with Olympic aspirations. Our motto has always been 'Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime' – and we're just taking that to the next level."

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer "on our time, in our gym, against the opponent of our choice"
Jim Boeheim

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer "on our time, in our gym, against the opponent of our choice"
Jim Boeheim

Hey man... It's like a 15 hour flight from Syracuse to MSG. I think they cross like 6 time zones to get there. Those MSG games are brutal for Syracuse.

:laugh3:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, am I the only one that mixes up The Pantheon and The Parthenon?

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, am I the only one that mixes up The Pantheon and The Parthenon?

what's to mix up?
one's an olympics event, the other's a stinky cheese.
I don't remember which one's which.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great experience for those students, Italy's a great place to see I figure.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great experience for those students, Italy's a great place to see I figure.
Italy is an absolutely amazing country. Got to do two weeks on my honeymoon a year ago and have been DYING to go back. Before visiting Italy I wanted to go all over the world (and still do), but after visiting I just want to go back again before I do anything else.

GOOD LORD, THE FOOD.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The seniors from last year are probably like "fuck i missed out by one year"

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny part is the original quote says "study abroad"... Like any studying is going to go on in other countries by the players.