• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anthony Hitchens? Who?

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee there has been a compound effect with GM's over the years. They all know they can get more out of Jerry than most other GM's. So now teams rake him over the coals every single chance they get. How many other teams make the trade we made in the 2nd? IN this draft no less?

:L need I say more about Jerry

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys selected Iowa OLB Anthony Hitchens with the No. 119 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Hitchens (6-foot 1/4, 240) was the Hawkeyes' leading tackler as both a junior and senior, playing weak-side linebacker and finishing his career with 19 tackles for loss, three sacks, and two forced fumbles. He ran 4.74 at the Combine with a 31 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-8 broad jump. Although Hitchens is an aggressive hitter and technical tackler, he was a coverage liability in the Big Ten, and figures to max out in the pros as a reserve/special teams type.

sounds like we could have
A. done better with our pick in the 4th
&
B. if we really wanted this guy (for whatever reason) probably could have landed him later in the draft.
:(

positives
he is a good tackler & I did say I wanted tacklers on defense not hitters
(sorry that is all I got for positives for now)

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OVERVIEW
Florida native who took initiative to move out of his biological parents' house and live with a friend's family in order to attend a better, safer school and remain focused on his football career. High school running back, linebacker and kick returner who had 3,864 career rushing yards and 52 touchdowns -- earned four varsity letters in addition to playing basketball and running track. Bounced between safety, linebacker and running back as a true freshman in 2010, recording nine tackles, zero for loss and zero sacks in 10 games played. Appeared in eight games in '11, tallying 25-0-0. Missed five games because of a knee sprain. Started all 11 games at Will linebacker in '12 and notched 124-5.5-1. Was benched during the Purdue contest after multiple blown assignments, and did not play against Michigan (illness). Was the Hawkeyes' leading tackler and Defensive MVP in '13 -- started all 13 games at Will and registered 112-13.5-2 with two pass breakups, an interception and two forced fumbles.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Aggressive tackler. Flows fast to the ball (when he sees it) and has good playing range to the sideline. Plays bigger than his size and does not back down from big-bodied blockers or physical runners (see Ohio State). Fairly explosive hitter. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and is highly respected for his work ethic, makeup and overall approach. Is mentally and physically tough. Very durable despite lack of size (missed only one game in career).
WEAKNESSES Is short and lacks bulk. Tends to play narrow-based and get rooted out of the hole on inside runs. Angles and anticipation could stand to improve -- is late to sort out misdirection. Very average cover instincts -- often is lured by play-action passing game. See-and-go reactor. Modest production for a weakside position where action is designed to be heavily funneled his way -- leaves some on the field.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent
BOTTOM LINE An active, undersized, run-and-hit weakside linebacker, Hitchens is at his best in a scheme where he is protected and free to run to the ball. Has shown gradual improvement and could stand to compete for a backup role.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Overview

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.
Analysis

Strengths

Sherman possesses rare height for a corner with enough bulk and speed. Effective when lined up at the line in press man coverage. Uses length well and established sound initial positioning. Flashes the ability to turn and run. Flashes the ability to high-point the football. Willing to help out in run support. Weaknesses

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

++++Not saying I like the pick, because I don't, but posting a player's scouting report doesn't prove that it's a bad pick. I can understand you being negative, because you have every right to be. But you are going overboard and don't sound like yourself. You of all people know a scouting report doesn't define a draft pick. If there is anything to knock with this pick, it's why we took a LB and not another lineman or a safety with this pick.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overview

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.
Analysis

Strengths

Sherman possesses rare height for a corner with enough bulk and speed. Effective when lined up at the line in press man coverage. Uses length well and established sound initial positioning. Flashes the ability to turn and run. Flashes the ability to high-point the football. Willing to help out in run support. Weaknesses

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

++++Not saying I like the pick, because I don't, but posting a player's scouting report doesn't prove that it's a bad pick. I can understand you being negative, because you have every right to be. But you are going overboard and don't sound like yourself. You of all people know a scouting report doesn't define a draft pick. If there is anything to knock with this pick, it's why we took a LB and not another lineman or a safety with this pick.

I'd have no problem with this kid at all....in the 7th round. Not the middle of the 4th

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no problem with this kid at all....in the 7th round. Not the middle of the 4th

That would be my complaint ...... No one was going after him in the 4th ... or the 5th ... or the 6th

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I'm just saying I disagree with twist posting a scouting report. So many players overcome their scouting reports if they are projected to be bad or underwhelm if they are highly touted. Scouting reports mean nothing to me. I'm angry about the pick because it doesn't help address the worst secondary in all of football last season. I seriously don't understand how a team can set this many records for pass defense yet we don't draft a single fucking secondary player in the first four rounds.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I'm just saying I disagree with twist posting a scouting report. So many players overcome their scouting reports if they are projected to be bad or underwhelm if they are highly touted. Scouting reports mean nothing to me. I'm angry about the pick because it doesn't help address the worst secondary in all of football last season. I seriously don't understand how a team can set this many records for pass defense yet we don't draft a single fucking secondary player in the first four rounds.

Earl I posted the scouting report because no one knew who he was .......

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be my complaint ...... No one was going after him in the 4th ... or the 5th ... or the 6th

with the way teams pick in these drafts i could not agree with that. there are players that were drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and beyond by every team that i would not have thought would have gone before the 6th round

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the way teams pick in these drafts i could not agree with that. there are players that were drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and beyond by every team that i would not have thought would have gone before the 6th round

Dude the Texans got their Qb in the 4th round.

The 4th round had alot better value

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Texans got a Hell of a value in Savage. The Chiefs got a steal in Aaron Murray. Gil Brandt said Murray was going to be Drew Brees. Strong praise

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i am just saying that every team makes picks that you have question why they went with this player over that one.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I agree. Our team has a bunch of holes. Day 1 was OK...not great but Martin will start and can play anywhere on the line and we will need a good line with an older QB who has been through two back surgeries. Not sure about the Demarcus pick particularly when we gave up a 3rd round pick and could have had a DE and DT with those two picks. The 4th round was classic Jerrah.....outsmarting themselves. No need to pick this kid in the least especially not in the 4th. The 5th round pick with the plethora of receivers we have is also irresponsible. Just when you think Jerry and the Cowboys get it after the first round pick, they revert back to their old selves by trading up for what they perceive as an impact player. I really hoped they scouted the kid against good competition. I know he had 10 sacks a year but I really hope half were not against the likes of Idaho and Idaho State.....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched some clips of this guy. I don't get excited over clips because its a snap shot and often made to prop up the player, so he better look good in them. What surprised me with this kid is how much quicker he looked getting to the ball and in some cases QB than I expected. Also looked good sitting in zone coverage which is important for our LBs. good tackler and just plays like a football player. I liked what I saw a lot. Still question if he was the best choice at the time, but am looking forward to seeing this kid play.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched some clips of this guy. I don't get excited over clips because its a snap shot and often made to prop up the player, so he better look good in them. What surprised me with this kid is how much quicker he looked getting to the ball and in some cases QB than I expected. Also looked good sitting in zone coverage which is important for our LBs. good tackler and just plays like a football player. I liked what I saw a lot. Still question if he was the best choice at the time, but am looking forward to seeing this kid play.

I can put sugar on shit ...... doubt anyone would wanna eat it ..... Thats what I think of his highlight clips

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good pick in this draft is Martin. Hitchens??? Never heard of him. He is rated as a 7th rounder at best. Picks like these absolutely kills our chances to compete. There were plenty of good players that could come in and at least be backups. This guy wont even make the roster.

We have Caraun Reid ,Telvin Smith,Mccaron, and many other good players and Jerrah drafts this stiff? This is a horrible fucking draft.

What? He's rated? What happened to "I had a 7th round grade on him"?

You really are a full of shut shock value poster. Aren't you?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? He's rated? What happened to "I had a 7th round grade on him"?

You really are a full of shut shock poster. Aren't you?

Manster you have known Nate (Arrlington) long enough to know ... we could have drafted Marino, Rice, Irvin, and Smith in the same draft and he would be DOOM AND GLOOM

trolls are trolls ...... seeking attention ... and bring zero to the debate

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manster you have known Nate (Arrlington) long enough to know ... we could have drafted Marino, Rice, Irvin, and Smith in the same draft and he would be DOOM AND GLOOM

trolls are trolls ...... seeking attention ... and bring zero to the debate

I just get a kick out of his "I have a 2nd Rd grade on player X". There's more bullshit spewing from him than what you'd find in a cow pasture.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just get a kick out of his "I have a 2nd Rd grade on player X". There's more bullshit spewing from him than what you'd find in a cow pasture.

Him and one other :L

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This topic is about Hinchens. I assume Im the one you are referring to spewing BS. They picked him because they didnt have quality depth at this position last year when Lee went down. JJ called him a big hitter in the post press conference.