• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anonymous NFC starter: HGH is like clockwork. Estimates 10-15 players per team use it

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, this isn't a great source but they say it is available by prescription only. For the purpose of this discussion I think this might be the best answer. It is from 12/1/12

Is HGH Illegal? | eHow.com

So, I guess in that sense the NFL should treat it like Adderall. Without an Rx it should be banned. I do believe players should be able to use it to speed up recovery from injuries.

I'd be okay with that. Unfortunately, they still need to agree on a fair way to test it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That suit SHOULD get thrown out of court instantly. The reason the concussion lawsuits are going ahead is because the plaintiffs are arguing the NFL knew the negative impact of head trauma and hit it from the NFLPA.

The NFLPA would have to prove that

1. The NFL knew the long term results from using HGH;
2. The NFL intentionally hid the results from the NFLPA;
3. The NFL marketed the league around the benefits of using HGH;
4. The NFL created a culture where using HGH was expected/encouraged.

I feel that a lot of the resistance to these things is not just whether the suit will or should be thrown out of court, it's that even having to defend the NFL from those lawsuits in court or in the public eye. So even if it should get thrown out, there's a cost to it that might go beyond just lawyers fees (though I don't think they are losing the public at all in money, just reputation). And then, what if it isn't thrown out or takes a long time?

Obviously, a rule shouldn't be made solely upon whether there will be hassle over it or the alternative. It should be right or wrong. I'm just saying that they might be hesitant to allow this, even if they think it's ok and that they've adequately warned or could adequately warn, due to the ability of attorneys to twist things and the willingness of players (like Pat White) to sue just for money (he's going back to the NFL despite suing it for unknown risks - case is now dropped).

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't it an individual's right to decide if he wants to take that chance, not the government's, and definitely not the employer's, right to tell someone they can or cannot risk shortening their life?

We know the effects of many substances we put in our bodies. Should your boss be able to tell you that you aren't allowed to eat at McDonald's because it will reduce your life expectancy?

Arguing the "long term effects" point is something I will never accept. If you want to argue the unfair advantage in competition, that's fine. I used to agree with that, but not so much anymore.

I think the government's role is more for the protection of society (just like how the government can regulate or outlaw all types of drugs/medications). Of primary concern is the trickle down effect if HGH were allowed to be used in the NFL. If its legal to use in the NFL, then eventually all NFL players will do it to obtain/maintain their jobs. Eventually anyone attempting to enter the NFL will use it to obtain that job (particularly with how obsessed we are with combine measurables). Eventually, if you want to play for a major college program you will feel the need to use it, and then eventually even for the lesser college teams and division II and III teams. Sooner or later it will spread to high school and possibly even beyond (some pop warner coaches and parents are that crazy about football I believe). Long story short, I think the league and the government are concerned about the trickle down effect of its usage.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the government's role is more for the protection of society (just like how the government can regulate or outlaw all types of drugs/medications). Of primary concern is the trickle down effect if HGH were allowed to be used in the NFL. If its legal to use in the NFL, then eventually all NFL players will do it to obtain/maintain their jobs. Eventually anyone attempting to enter the NFL will use it to obtain that job (particularly with how obsessed we are with combine measurables). Eventually, if you want to play for a major college program you will feel the need to use it, and then eventually even for the lesser college teams and division II and III teams. Sooner or later it will spread to high school and possibly even beyond (some pop warner coaches and parents are that crazy about football I believe). Long story short, I think the league and the government are concerned about the trickle down effect of its usage.

I don't think everyone will use it. That's an unprovable argument.

But let's assume everyone does decide to use it. So what? It's a pretty well established fact that those who choose to pursue football as a career are making sacrifices that will impact their lives in both the short term and the long term. People that aren't willing to make those sacrifices tend not to play professional football (or other sports). Shouldn't it be a personal choice?

If there are concerns about the effects it will have on developing bodies, treat like alcohol and tobacco and establish a minimum age. But I'm stuck with two questions

1. How does what I put in my body impact your life?
2. Why should you get to tell me what is okay or not okay for me to consume?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Football players use performance enhancing drugs?

This is actually news to me."

Signed: Nobody