• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

an article I read about Bo

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.
Published December 3, 2013 | By Andrew Brandt
Nebraska Head Coach Bo Pelini

There has been so many up and down conversations this week regarding Bo Pelini. There have been fans calling for his head, and others calling for him to stay.

Today I had the fortunate opportunity to listen to a player’s parent talk about his feelings on the program and on Coach Bo Pelini.

I did not talk much, I mainly listened and never told the parent that I ran the website Huskerland.net. I merely enjoyed the conversation. So he didn’t have to sugar coat anything for any purpose.

It started as your typical stranger conversation, we were in the waiting room of the business. An elderly lady probably early 70′s came up to me and asked if I was reading the newspaper that was sitting on the table next to me. I said “No ma’am go ahead and take it”. As she got back to her chair, she said to the man next to her “I’ve got to read about what they have to say about coach Bo today”. The gentlemen who she directed the statement toward said “I wish they would just leave the guy alone”. Thus the conversation began.

As the lady and him exchanged conversation about the recent days and events with Bo Pelini, I became more intrigued, the guy acted as if he was close to the program, as if he was a coach in some way, to me it was maybe just another fan like myself, voicing his opinion about Husker Football and just being so passionate about it.

That was until he said “My son plays for Nebraska”. My ears perked up and it seemed like everything else in the room became none existent and he was the only one talking. He said my son plays Defensive Tackle. I started running names in my head of Defensive Tackles that play as I waited in anticipation to hear him tell us who his son was, but it didn’t come out right away. The elderly lady finally broke the question and finally asked, “Who’s your son?” He replied Garret Johns. I quickly pulled out my Android phone and started searching the Huskers roster for the name, of course I was discrete about it, I didn’t want him thinking I didn’t believe him, I just wasn’t sure who the player was to be honest. After searching the roster I found it, Garret Johns DT, Nebraska. I became ever so interested in this guys opinion.

This was a real parent talking about what his son is going through with the Nebraska program and how he feels about Bo Pelini. To me this was the chance I needed to share someone’s story on how their family feels about being apart of Bo Pelini and the Nebraska Football team.

The first thing Joe Johns talked about was how his son love’s Coach Bo, he referred back to Kenny Bell’s statement about Bo and how Kenny said he would face Satan himself with Bo at his side. He said his son felt the same way. His son was committed to Bo and believed in what he was about.

He said Bo ran a very tight ship, he gave the players limits on what he would put up with, and they all knew that if you broke that limit or exceeded it, that Bo allowing it, and he let you know, he would make sure you didn’t play or were no longer apart of the team. He was firm about holding players accountable for their actions.

I started smiling more now then ever, I knew I was right about Bo, and that many others were right as well. Bo was indeed a good man, he taught the guys the right morals. Sure he was making some mistakes with himself, but he’s a first time Head Coach and that will happen. He’ll grow and move on, he’s not perfect no one is, but he does have the world always watching his every move.

As he talked more, the lady next to him started asking more questions, she made this real easy for me. It was as if she was doing the interview and I was simply taking notes.

Earlier this year, Joe and his son Garret attended a Football team dinner, where Joe had talked with several other parents and they all felt the same way about Bo. They all felt that Bo had their child’s best intentions in mind with everything he did, he pushed them in the classroom and on the field. They believed in Bo as well.

Joe had also attended a few practices this year and said that they were tough practices, the guys were really “popping” the pads he said and going full throttle. Joe was reminded of the Bob Devany days and in some ways compared Bo to Bob Devaney, in how much he expected out of his players and how he wanted nothing but 110% effort from them during practice. He couldn’t stress enough how good the practices were.

Joe talked about the academics portion of the football team, and its expectations, he said that almost 80% of the team is on the B1G honor roll list. He stated that Bo is a big stickler for classroom attendance and participation. He really puts the Student before the Athlete, as it should be.

Mr Garret is your average Nebraskan, with dreams of his son being a starter for Nebraska, but also wants whats best for his son in regards to his education. He knows and understands Bo’s views and opinion on the program and supports them in full. He feels as if Bo is doing the right thing and that someday Nebraska will be a National Powerhouse again.

That all does come with time, and making sure you are doing your due-diligence as a Head Coach with the team, and doing things the right way to prevent NCAA Sanctions and rule violations.

Bo runs a clean program and is turning these young boys into men on and off of the field. We all need to remember that we don’t always have the insight on what’s going on with the program, we may think we do, we question players abilities and their character on how much they may practicing and the way they are performing during a game. However we don’t know, but the parents and players associated with the program know, and they are the important ones to listen to. While Conference Championships and National Championships year after year would be nice, we must remember that these kids are also playing for an education for a chance to keep their scholarship or to earn a scholarship to better themselves.

From the eyes of a player’s parent, the program couldn’t be better, he sees the progress being made, he knows the ins and outs of what is really going on, and to be able to share that opinion is great, it’s letting outsiders into the program and teaching them the right things that are going on within the process.

Special Thanks to Joe Johns for sharing his story and his sons views on the current state of Husker Football.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice article.

Bo is a straight shooter, we know that. Some coaches will lie, cheat, and steal to win at all costs, (some that are coaching right now), but Bo is not one of them.

I listed this as one of my Pro Bo reasons, Bo seems to be an honest coach.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But... But...But 4 losses!! Doesn't develop players!! Can't recruit!! Killed Jesus!! Invented death!! Shot J.R.!! Hates Christmas!!

You know, the important stuff.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a multitude of people with those character qualities. They aren't head football coaches though.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a multitude of people with those character qualities. They aren't head football coaches though.
-------
After watching Bo and company for six years, there are certain traits that are still lacking from him as a HC. All the superlatives in that article still don't translate into major wins and/or major advancements for the team.

All the respect the players have for Bo? Yet Bo shows no respect to fans, media, refs. If he's such a "maker of men" then why aren't more of his players getting drafted into the pros? We don't need a HC that's a father figure. We need a HC that can in fact do what he's being paid to do which is coach at this level of football and win (and not just 8-10 games a year).

I've never believed Bo to be a bad guy. Nor do I believe that he's not trying. He's just a square peg trying to fit into a round hole and Nebraska is not his fit. I'm tired of the Husker mantra being--"Wait till next year."

GBR

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with pointing out Bo's good and embracing it. At all. Problem is, Bo responds to the negative when he should pull the "no comment". He should instead focus on the fans like Mr. Garret, his son and guys like Jed.

If I was making millions I'm convinced I could accomplish this.

I like Bo, always have, always will. But he makes things harder than they should be, and burns bridges where he doesn't need to.

Sun Tzu would not approve.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMFG!!! Give the guy a massive extension. If Jimmy Joe Jon's son would is more willing to play with for Bo Pelini along side Kenny Bell than for Satan, lord of darkworld and everything that is evil in this entire universe, then by golly I think we have a heck of head coach.

Is it really a compliment if you say you rather play for Bo Pelini than the devil??

Come the mother chuck on now.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with pointing out Bo's good and embracing it. At all. Problem is, Bo responds to the negative when he should pull the "no comment". He should instead focus on the fans like Mr. Garret, his son and guys like Jed.

If I was making millions I'm convinced I could accomplish this.

I like Bo, always have, always will. But he makes things harder than they should be, and burns bridges where he doesn't need to.

Sun Tzu would not approve.

Umm....

derpy derpy derp. Perhaps Bo Pelini wants out of Nebraska?? Maybe he was actually trying to get fired? Shocking right. He hate's it here. He did several years ago, he does now. The University of Nebraska is Bo Pelini's hell. Outside of going all 'Woody Hayes', he isn't going anywhere unless he volunteers to leave. I love Nebraska football, but the dumbshits who eat his bull shit up deserve every single 3 possession at home destruction's by all the mediocre Iowa teams that they can possibly take.

And if you disagree and support Bo Pelini, then piss off. I don't care how many 9 win seasons he has when we get our asses rolled by double digits 4 other Saturday's a year.

37 Nebraska
34 Wyoming

First HOME game. 6th year as a head coach. 4th year starter Senior QB. Projected to have the best WR core in the NATION. Best RB in the BI0.

You beat a mid-major by 3 at home. Texas beat them by 21. Oh wait...check that...Texas State beat them by 21.

Yeah...probably a good time blame the media for losing games...

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm....

derpy derpy derp. Perhaps Bo Pelini wants out of Nebraska?? Maybe he was actually trying to get fired? Shocking right. He hate's it here. He did several years ago, he does now. The University of Nebraska is Bo Pelini's hell. Outside of going all 'Woody Hayes', he isn't going anywhere unless he volunteers to leave. I love Nebraska football, but the dumbshits who eat his bull shit up deserve every single 3 possession at home destruction's by all the mediocre Iowa teams that they can possibly take.

And if you disagree and support Bo Pelini, then piss off. I don't care how many 9 win seasons he has when we get our asses rolled by double digits 4 other Saturday's a year.

37 Nebraska
34 Wyoming

First HOME game. 6th year as a head coach. 4th year starter Senior QB. Projected to have the best WR core in the NATION. Best RB in the BI0.

You beat a mid-major by 3 at home. Texas beat them by 21. Oh wait...check that...Texas State beat them by 21.

Yeah...probably a good time blame the media for losing games...

Hey Suhsyourdaddy where ya been for the last 2 seasons ? What this board needs is a blithering trolling know it all, thank god youre here. I dont think I could of gone another day without your "special" blend of ignorance and wind.

Just so you know Eichorst called and said although you are far smarter than he is Bo is still the coach next year so go fuck yourself. Have a nice day dipshit.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm....

And if you disagree and support Bo Pelini, then piss off.

You sound upset.

I don't like seeing sloppy play and blowouts either. And I've posted about this. But that doesn't mean I can't be objective and point out someone's positive attributes.

I'm trying to be more the glass half full kind of a dude in my older age. Life's too short and all that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Suhsyourdaddy where ya been for the last 2 seasons ? What this board needs is a blithering trolling know it all, thank god youre here. I dont think I could of gone another day without your "special" blend of ignorance and wind.

Just so you know Eichorst called and said although you are far smarter than he is Bo is still the coach next year so go fuck yourself. Have a nice day dipshit.

Why are you so mad?! Is it because he's stating the the truth and you don't want to believe it?! I've seen the same bullshit from Nebraska since 2008! Bo might be a good guy great, my dad's a good guy doesn't mean he should be coaching Nebraska. So if you wanna believe everything is all unicorns and rainbows in Lincoln then god bless your soul

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you so mad?! Is it because he's stating the the truth and you don't want to believe it?! I've seen the same bullshit from Nebraska since 2008! Bo might be a good guy great, my dad's a good guy doesn't mean he should be coaching Nebraska. So if you wanna believe everything is all unicorns and rainbows in Lincoln then god bless your soul

Everything is Unicorns and Rainbows. I never said Bo is perfect, I just have a hard time looking at his record and saying "man he sux, lets fire him" He is producing winning records year after year in a very difficult modern college football enviroment. We dont live in 1990 anymore and it isnt likely we or any one else for that matter will go undefeaed on a regular basis.

Also , if the "same bullshit" is going to a ccg every other year, well I guess I can live with it.

nvoting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article is actually very misleading and has a major flaw. Legends like TO, Urban Meyer, Bobby Bowden, and Nick Saban started at small schools. Bo started at a blue blood. Big difference.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Bo we can look forward to many more blowout losses and lower tier bowl games until he's gone, hopefully sooner than later. Also, a good man doesn't throw a win into the trash by calling a fake punt when Nebraska was only down by 7 points. I know, I know, Bo was pissed at the fans so he figured he would show us fans by what looked like intentionally losing a game against a ?powerhouse? Iowa team in Lincoln.

Let's talk about another good guy who has actually won some championships, including a national championship, has played in BIG bowl games, BCS bowl games, and has his players playing disciplined football in the vast majority of their games... Bob Stoops! Nebraska could very well have had him if it wasn't for Osborne and his stubbornness. Nebraska would not have missed a beat and our bowl game streak would have stayed intact!

Another thing about Stoops... He's a class act, but Mad Dog Bo isn't.

Nice win by OU against OSU today in one of his many BIG game wins!

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.
Published December 3, 2013 | By Andrew Brandt

There has been so many up and down conversations this week regarding Bo Pelini. There have been fans calling for his head, and others calling for him to stay.

Today I had the fortunate opportunity to listen to a player’s parent talk about his feelings on the program and on Coach Bo Pelini.

I did not talk much, I mainly listened and never told the parent that I ran the website Huskerland.net. I merely enjoyed the conversation. So he didn’t have to sugar coat anything for any purpose.

It started as your typical stranger conversation, we were in the waiting room of the business. An elderly lady probably early 70′s came up to me and asked if I was reading the newspaper that was sitting on the table next to me. I said “No ma’am go ahead and take it”. As she got back to her chair, she said to the man next to her “I’ve got to read about what they have to say about coach Bo today”. The gentlemen who she directed the statement toward said “I wish they would just leave the guy alone”. Thus the conversation began.

As the lady and him exchanged conversation about the recent days and events with Bo Pelini, I became more intrigued, the guy acted as if he was close to the program, as if he was a coach in some way, to me it was maybe just another fan like myself, voicing his opinion about Husker Football and just being so passionate about it.

That was until he said “My son plays for Nebraska”. My ears perked up and it seemed like everything else in the room became none existent and he was the only one talking. He said my son plays Defensive Tackle. I started running names in my head of Defensive Tackles that play as I waited in anticipation to hear him tell us who his son was, but it didn’t come out right away. The elderly lady finally broke the question and finally asked, “Who’s your son?” He replied Garret Johns. I quickly pulled out my Android phone and started searching the Huskers roster for the name, of course I was discrete about it, I didn’t want him thinking I didn’t believe him, I just wasn’t sure who the player was to be honest. After searching the roster I found it, Garret Johns DT, Nebraska. I became ever so interested in this guys opinion.

This was a real parent talking about what his son is going through with the Nebraska program and how he feels about Bo Pelini. To me this was the chance I needed to share someone’s story on how their family feels about being apart of Bo Pelini and the Nebraska Football team.

The first thing Joe Johns talked about was how his son love’s Coach Bo, he referred back to Kenny Bell’s statement about Bo and how Kenny said he would face Satan himself with Bo at his side. He said his son felt the same way. His son was committed to Bo and believed in what he was about.

He said Bo ran a very tight ship, he gave the players limits on what he would put up with, and they all knew that if you broke that limit or exceeded it, that Bo allowing it, and he let you know, he would make sure you didn’t play or were no longer apart of the team. He was firm about holding players accountable for their actions.

I started smiling more now then ever, I knew I was right about Bo, and that many others were right as well. Bo was indeed a good man, he taught the guys the right morals. Sure he was making some mistakes with himself, but he’s a first time Head Coach and that will happen. He’ll grow and move on, he’s not perfect no one is, but he does have the world always watching his every move.

As he talked more, the lady next to him started asking more questions, she made this real easy for me. It was as if she was doing the interview and I was simply taking notes.

Earlier this year, Joe and his son Garret attended a Football team dinner, where Joe had talked with several other parents and they all felt the same way about Bo. They all felt that Bo had their child’s best intentions in mind with everything he did, he pushed them in the classroom and on the field. They believed in Bo as well.

Joe had also attended a few practices this year and said that they were tough practices, the guys were really “popping” the pads he said and going full throttle. Joe was reminded of the Bob Devany days and in some ways compared Bo to Bob Devaney, in how much he expected out of his players and how he wanted nothing but 110% effort from them during practice. He couldn’t stress enough how good the practices were.

Joe talked about the academics portion of the football team, and its expectations, he said that almost 80% of the team is on the B1G honor roll list. He stated that Bo is a big stickler for classroom attendance and participation. He really puts the Student before the Athlete, as it should be.

Mr Garret is your average Nebraskan, with dreams of his son being a starter for Nebraska, but also wants whats best for his son in regards to his education. He knows and understands Bo’s views and opinion on the program and supports them in full. He feels as if Bo is doing the right thing and that someday Nebraska will be a National Powerhouse again.

That all does come with time, and making sure you are doing your due-diligence as a Head Coach with the team, and doing things the right way to prevent NCAA Sanctions and rule violations.

Bo runs a clean program and is turning these young boys into men on and off of the field. We all need to remember that we don’t always have the insight on what’s going on with the program, we may think we do, we question players abilities and their character on how much they may practicing and the way they are performing during a game. However we don’t know, but the parents and players associated with the program know, and they are the important ones to listen to. While Conference Championships and National Championships year after year would be nice, we must remember that these kids are also playing for an education for a chance to keep their scholarship or to earn a scholarship to better themselves.

From the eyes of a player’s parent, the program couldn’t be better, he sees the progress being made, he knows the ins and outs of what is really going on, and to be able to share that opinion is great, it’s letting outsiders into the program and teaching them the right things that are going on within the process.

Special Thanks to Joe Johns for sharing his story and his sons views on the current state of Husker Football.

Great read -- thanks thar Lou

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good read, thanks for posting.

I have no problems with Bo as a person. I personally don't my his antics with the media (except for after the Iowa game). I actually lol'd when he was interviewed at halftime, the reporter asked some stupid questions.

Bo needs to figure out how to get his offense to stop turning the ball over and get his defense to get more turnovers. He does that and he wins 2-3 more games this year and we aren't having this arguement. Even the players themselves blame themselves, so I don't know what more Bo can do outside of finding a new S&C coach as that might be the one area where stuff like that can be changed.

And that's the problem with Bo, everyone can see the problem but he won't fix it. Other HC's fire guys that aren't cutting the mustard and Bo hangs onto them. You need change, not the same old thing.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is Unicorns and Rainbows. I never said Bo is perfect, I just have a hard time looking at his record and saying "man he sux, lets fire him" He is producing winning records year after year in a very difficult modern college football enviroment. We dont live in 1990 anymore and it isnt likely we or any one else for that matter will go undefeaed on a regular basis.

Also , if the "same bullshit" is going to a ccg every other year, well I guess I can live with it.

Well, I can't. Going to the a "ccg" as you put and getting 70ish hung on us??? I'd rather be Purdue or Iowa. Oh wait Iowa just rolled into Memorial Stadium and beat the living shit out of THE Almighty: NEBRAska COrnHUSKERS!!!

Pretty sure that in my all things possibly Kosher in my own little world, that crap does not happen. In your head, and Bo Pelini's head....yeah...just part of a process. A process of continual suckitude. Like I said, if you are cool with that, allIgottaisfuckoffthen.