• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

all time ...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, he should be there too. i remember well that peters and pizarro tandem was one of the best (maybe THEE best) in baseball but had the misfortune of playing for teams that sucked! once peters had an era of 1.98 and finished 12-10.
there were others that also had this misfortune. hell, joel horlen finished UNDER .500 with a 3.11 lifetime era!

sox were noted for having great pitchers and yet the last original sox starter to enter the hall was red ruffing who finished his career in 1933 (i don't count gossage because as a sox starter he failed miserably).

Just recalled the other day These Sox - with Peters and Pizzaro Landis and later Berry were called the "hitless wonders." Lead the league in pitching and defense - but last in most hitting categories.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just recalled the other day These Sox - with Peters and Pizzaro Landis and later Berry were called the "hitless wonders." Lead the league in pitching and defense - but last in most hitting categories.
That was pretty much the signature feature of the entire era of the "Go-Go White Sox" spanning most of the 50's and 60's. Always had the pitching and defense, but also often struggled to produce runs. If we even had so much as an upper league offense during those years, we probably would have made at least 5 or 6 trips to the World Series.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty much the signature feature of the entire era of the "Go-Go White Sox" spanning most of the 50's and 60's. Always had the pitching and defense, but also often struggled to produce runs. If we even had so much as an upper league offense during those years, we probably would have made at least 5 or 6 trips to the World Series.
the hitless wonders were actually the 1906 white sox who won the american league crown with a .230 team average. that's also when they beat the cubs in the ws in 6 games (my google is quite smart)!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the hitless wonders were actually the 1906 white sox who won the american league crown with a .230 team average. that's also when they beat the cubs in the ws in 6 games (my google is quite smart)!
I was merely referring to the "Go-Go" era. Little doubt we had many, many seasons over the entire timespan - good and bad - where our offense sucked. With few exceptions, offense + White Sox baseball rarely went hand in hand. Too bad because many of those years we had the pitching and defense to take it to the big show.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was merely referring to the "Go-Go" era. Little doubt we had many, many seasons over the entire timespan - good and bad - where our offense sucked. With few exceptions, offense + White Sox baseball rarely went hand in hand. Too bad because many of those years we had the pitching and defense to take it to the big show.

actually meant to quote mingo on that post.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if I was to buy any jersey from before the 80s...Luis Aparicio would be the one.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...El Caballo brings back memories...Amazing that the Sox ended up getting away with that trade without getting murdered in the hindsight public opinion because he was f*cking good. But Scotty Pods was exactly what we needed at that moment in time, as history has proven. That's definitely a Sale-like trade that I wasn't happy about at the time that worked out, that's for sure. God he was hilarious when he would troll the Twins fans out there in left field. lulz.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...El Caballo brings back memories...Amazing that the Sox ended up getting away with that trade without getting murdered in the hindsight public opinion because he was f*cking good. But Scotty Pods was exactly what we needed at that moment in time, as history has proven. That's definitely a Sale-like trade that I wasn't happy about at the time that worked out, that's for sure. God he was hilarious when he would troll the Twins fans out there in left field. lulz.
how does a line like 16/84/.293 only gets you 7th place for r.o.y.?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if I was to buy any jersey from before the 80s...Luis Aparicio would be the one.
I'd go with Nellie, but the cool thing is they were together one of the best SS/2B tandems in all of baseball for seven years.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so whitesox.com is dragging out a top 5 at every position thing and i thought maybe we could see our versions right here and now. i will not go back prior to 1950 (you can draw whatever line you like) as i want to use only players i've seen. for instance .. i know appling was the greatest ss but i never saw him play. i also insisted on at least 3 seasons played, otherwise albert belle would have definitely been in left field. i also didn't include dh. i also included honorable mentions for sp because there are just so many good ones.

my top 5 at every position:

1b:
frank thomas
dick allen
paul konerko
jose abreu
eddie robinson

2b:
nellie fox
jorge orta
ray durham
don buford