• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All star voting

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to vote somewhat legit, but if there is a Giant close, I will go homer...

C - Posey - some what homer, but there isn't a catcher running away with it, and his numbers have come while basically not showing up yet this year.
1B - Goldy - he may be establishing himself as the premiere 1B in the game. If Belts numbers were just a but better, he might have been close enough to get the homer pick.
2B - Walker - I am only basing this on the numbers presented on the online ballot, so I cannot defend the pick. Of the numbers supplied, he was the best of a very hohum class.
SS - Tulo - gawd DAYUM, he is having a monster year. He is the only Rock I voted for due to the Coors Effect, though.
3B - Panda - see Posey. His numbers are close enough to the top of the group that the homer effect took hold. Also, he has put those numbers up while basically not showing up yet.
OF - Puig, Stanton, Morse - Puig and Stanton were no-brainers. Surprisingly, Morse is legitimately in that next tier, though. I went with him without much thought, of course, but the homer-effect was not a HUGE factor.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went total Homer with my pick. Best team in mlb needs a lot of showing at the all star game.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know one thing, if even only ONE Giant is in need of a little support (Melky in 2012), EVERYONE will benefit (Posey, Pablo, Belt, Pagan, even Crawford almost snuck in). The fans will see that not one Giant is in first place, and they'll ramp up the total homer balloting. And I have no problem with that. Let America know the most passionate fan base, hell the Yankees and Sox did it for years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see casual Giants fans try to get Craw into the ASG, especially over Tulo.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know one thing, if even only ONE Giant is in need of a little support (Melky in 2012), EVERYONE will benefit (Posey, Pablo, Belt, Pagan, even Crawford almost snuck in). The fans will see that not one Giant is in first place, and they'll ramp up the total homer balloting. And I have no problem with that. Let America know the most passionate fan base, hell the Yankees and Sox did it for years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see casual Giants fans try to get Craw into the ASG, especially over Tulo.

Didn't the Reds fans get like all 8 regulars voted in one year? But the Commish stepped in and named a couple obvious starters who weren't Reds?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to vote somewhat legit, but if there is a Giant close, I will go homer...

C - Posey - some what homer, but there isn't a catcher running away with it, and his numbers have come while basically not showing up yet this year.
1B - Goldy - he may be establishing himself as the premiere 1B in the game. If Belts numbers were just a but better, he might have been close enough to get the homer pick.
2B - Walker - I am only basing this on the numbers presented on the online ballot, so I cannot defend the pick. Of the numbers supplied, he was the best of a very hohum class.
SS - Tulo - gawd DAYUM, he is having a monster year. He is the only Rock I voted for due to the Coors Effect, though.
3B - Panda - see Posey. His numbers are close enough to the top of the group that the homer effect took hold. Also, he has put those numbers up while basically not showing up yet.
OF - Puig, Stanton, Morse - Puig and Stanton were no-brainers. Surprisingly, Morse is legitimately in that next tier, though. I went with him without much thought, of course, but the homer-effect was not a HUGE factor.

no, they aren't.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Reds fans get like all 8 regulars voted in one year? But the Commish stepped in and named a couple obvious starters who weren't Reds?

1957 Major League Baseball All-Star Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cincinnati Redlegs voting controversy

When fan voting to determine the game's starters was completed, seven Cincinnati Redlegs players (Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Frank Robinson, Gus Bell and Wally Post) had been elected to start in the All-Star Game; the only non-Redleg elected to start for the National League was St. Louis Cardinal first baseman Stan Musial. Most baseball observers agreed that while the Redlegs were known to be a great offensive team with many outstanding position players, they did not deserve seven starters in the All-Star Game.

An investigation launched by Commissioner Ford Frick found that over half of the ballots cast came from Cincinnati, with the Cincinnati Enquirer printing up pre-marked ballots and distributing them with the Sunday edition of the newspaper to make it easy for Redlegs fans to vote often for their favorite players, while stories emerged of bars in Cincinnati refusing to serve alcohol to customers until they filled out a ballot.

Frick appointed Willie Mays of the New York Giants and Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves to substitute for Bell and Post, and to strip the fans of their voting rights; Bell was kept as a reserve, while Post was injured and would have been unable to play in any event. Managers, players, and coaches picked the entire team until 1970, when the vote again returned to the fans, and to avoid a repeat of this incident, MLB officials evenly distributed the 26 million ballots to 75,000 retail outlets and 150 minor and major league stadiums, while a special panel was also created to review the voting.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1957 Major League Baseball All-Star Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cincinnati Redlegs voting controversy

When fan voting to determine the game's starters was completed, seven Cincinnati Redlegs players (Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Frank Robinson, Gus Bell and Wally Post) had been elected to start in the All-Star Game; the only non-Redleg elected to start for the National League was St. Louis Cardinal first baseman Stan Musial. Most baseball observers agreed that while the Redlegs were known to be a great offensive team with many outstanding position players, they did not deserve seven starters in the All-Star Game.

An investigation launched by Commissioner Ford Frick found that over half of the ballots cast came from Cincinnati, with the Cincinnati Enquirer printing up pre-marked ballots and distributing them with the Sunday edition of the newspaper to make it easy for Redlegs fans to vote often for their favorite players, while stories emerged of bars in Cincinnati refusing to serve alcohol to customers until they filled out a ballot.

Frick appointed Willie Mays of the New York Giants and Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves to substitute for Bell and Post, and to strip the fans of their voting rights; Bell was kept as a reserve, while Post was injured and would have been unable to play in any event. Managers, players, and coaches picked the entire team until 1970, when the vote again returned to the fans, and to avoid a repeat of this incident, MLB officials evenly distributed the 26 million ballots to 75,000 retail outlets and 150 minor and major league stadiums, while a special panel was also created to review the voting.

You expect me to remember something from 1957?! :heh:

You can't really do what the Reds did nowdays, word gets around too quickly. All you need now is an email though, and there's no limit to how many emails one can create. If a team's fanbase had elected the entire starting 8 to the ASG, then they just had more fans willing to vote all 35 times, and take time to use all their emails.

Although, I'm sure there would be some sort of acknowledgment about it, but there's nothing they could do. They give the fans this power, they better be ready for the consequences.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ballot would be:

C: Yadi (doing very well offensively and of course a stud on defense/calling games).
1B: Goldy
2B: Walker
SS: Tulo
3B: Todd Frazier (Arenado before injury, Sandoval can push his way back for me)
OF: Puig, Stanton, Carlos Gomez

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughtful addition.

Thanks for coming.

I took a quick check. Among NL 3B qualified for batting title, the OPS+ are like this:

Frazier 127
Wright 117
Arenado 111
McGehee 105
Pablo 103
Carp 102
Rendon 101

Clearly, Frazier is having the best year. Wright is a bit better than the pack, and Pablo is right in the mix after that. Thing is, Panda could be in first in a week. It's early and nobody has a commanding lead.

by WAR:

Frazier 2.1
Arenado 1.8
Wright 1.2
Carp 1.0
Panda 0.9
Rendon 0.9
Alvarez 0.7
McGehee 0.6

Frazier and Arenado having excellent years, everybody else pretty close.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among catchers, Buster is fifth in WAR, ninth in OPS+...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said "they", I was referring to Panda's stats. I should have been more specific. There's a pretty decent sized gap between Lucroy/Molina and the rest of the NL catchers right now, though Posey's more than capable of closing that gap.