• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All 20 Devin Hester Return TD's... Most memorable? Favorite?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then it's quite possible he wouldn't have been a Bear. He wanted to play WR, in fact more than management, iirc. As anotheridiot said, that was the hook needed to keep him. Remember his contract full of escalators specific to WR performance? The brass would have been content keeping his roster spot exclusive to return duties. No risk involved by allowing his spot to provide depth at WR because return abilities made him a roster lock. However, he wanted to play WR, so that accommodation had to happen to ensure he stayed a Bear. IMO, the experiment lasted too long. BTW, his WR stats run from 07-12. 217/2807 14 td's 12.9 ypc. I recall him wildly inconsistent, marginal route runner at best, simple go routes best suited him with his speed. Not an NFL caliber WR.

No disrespect, but this is not true. Hester was turned into a WR, to justify his value.

When a Special Teams player does what Devin did in his first two seasons, it changes the game...it changes the value of that position. What Devin did, was unparalleled in the HISTORY of the game. His value skyrocketed, for a position that historically was never anywhere near that value. Somebody was going to write him a fat check to acquire this unprecedented player.

The Bears paid him his worth, (which was incredibly inflated for the position) and turned him into a WR to justify it. Hard to pay WR-type money, to someone that may touch the ball only a few times a game.

Turning him into a WR was ALL on Lovie and the Bears.(In all fairness, it WAS an unprecedented situation), but Devin would've much rather just stayed a returner.

Last edited by a moderator:

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you milkshake, the 2006 Arizona game was my most memorable.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to choose just one,but i`d have to say the SB run back..........Never been done before.And it was a real surprise to open that game with.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked all of his returns for TDs. No favorites.
I think he would be a good WR in the right system . Hell he made Reavis look like a rook, ( him & Jay) when the Bears Kicked the Jets ass in Chi-town.
Just think the systems he was in, made him think too much. To me, he and Jay where hardly on the same page. Hence the lack of looks or throws to. And there was his problem. Wanting to be a returner only.
If Atlanta has set plays for him, I think he will prosper.
Just would have liked to see what Trestman would have done w/him.:scratch:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked all of his returns for TDs. No favorites.
I think he would be a good WR in the right system . Hell he made Reavis look like a rook, ( him & Jay) when the Bears Kicked the Jets ass in Chi-town.
Just think the systems he was in, made him think too much. To me, he and Jay where hardly on the same page. Hence the lack of looks or throws to. And there was his problem. Wanting to be a returner only.
If Atlanta has set plays for him, I think he will prosper.
Just would have liked to see what Trestman would have done w/him.:scratch:

Poor receivers don't just magically become good receivers in good systems. Devin Hester was a very poor WR. Had the ability to make a play here or there, but that's it. He had no feel for how to adjust his body to the ball mid-flight, he ran poor routes, and often flat out ran the wrong route.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor receivers don't just magically become good receivers in good systems. Devin Hester was a very poor WR. Had the ability to make a play here or there, but that's it. He had no feel for how to adjust his body to the ball mid-flight, he ran poor routes, and often flat out ran the wrong route.

Not saying he's a good or even average WR. Just saying put in a system were he doesn't have to think he will make plays. Just think the lack of Jay love turned him off of the WR position. Seems they were hardly ever on the same page.
Not too many guys make Reavis look stupid.
I don't think he's #3 WR. But given his athletic ability he could make plays for a team that puts him in the right position to make those plays.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he's a good or even average WR. Just saying put in a system were he doesn't have to think he will make plays. Just think the lack of Jay love turned him off of the WR position. Seems they were hardly ever on the same page.
Not too many guys make Reavis look stupid.
I don't think he's #3 WR. But given his athletic ability he could make plays for a team that puts him in the right position to make those plays.

Gee... I wonder who really wasn't on the right page? Hester, who attended "The U" and speaks mostly in broken english sentence fragments. Or Jay Cutler, the Vanderbilt grad who has teammates and multiple coaches throughout his career that do nothing besides praise his intelligence?

Devin Hester pretty much had one showing in his NFL career in which he played at the talent level of an NFL WR, because his athletic ability allowed him to make a couple of big plays. No one questions his athletic ability. It's the fact that he's just simply not a WR. His shortcomings when it comes to the basic fundamentals of the position, are too great for him to perform consistently at a high level. However, Jay targeted him PLENTY in 2009 and 2010. He had 57 receptions in 2009 from Jay and 40 in 2010. Trust was slowly lost, and there's usually a reason for that.

I agree that he could make a few plays for an offense. Heck, he did that here. More than a few. I guess we just disagree on the reasoning as to why he never could take the next step.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee... I wonder who really wasn't on the right page? Hester, who attended "The U" and speaks mostly in broken english sentence fragments. Or Jay Cutler, the Vanderbilt grad who has teammates and multiple coaches throughout his career that do nothing besides praise his intelligence?

Devin Hester pretty much had one showing in his NFL career in which he played at the talent level of an NFL WR, because his athletic ability allowed him to make a couple of big plays. No one questions his athletic ability. It's the fact that he's just simply not a WR. His shortcomings when it comes to the basic fundamentals of the position, are too great for him to perform consistently at a high level. However, Jay targeted him PLENTY in 2009 and 2010. He had 57 receptions in 2009 from Jay and 40 in 2010. Trust was slowly lost, and there's usually a reason for that.

I agree that he could make a few plays for an offense. Heck, he did that here. More than a few. I guess we just disagree on the reasoning as to why he never could take the next step.

Gee, I really don't what you're trying to say. I think DH can make plays @ the WR spot given the right opportunities. What's you're take?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect, but this is not true. Hester was turned into a WR, to justify his value.

When a Special Teams player does what Devin did in his first two seasons, it changes the game...it changes the value of that position. What Devin did, was unparalleled in the HISTORY of the game. His value skyrocketed, for a position that historically was never anywhere near that value. Somebody was going to write him a fat check to acquire this unprecedented player.

The Bears paid him his worth, (which was incredibly inflated for the position) and turned him into a WR to justify it. Hard to pay WR-type money, to someone that may touch the ball only a few times a game.

Turning him into a WR was ALL on Lovie and the Bears.(In all fairness, it WAS an unprecedented situation), but Devin would've much rather just stayed a returner.

It's hard to beat BLH. But I believe you just did it.Kudos.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I really don't what you're trying to say. I think DH can make plays @ the WR spot given the right opportunities. What's you're take?

I admit my post was confusing, and I changed tunes in the middle... sort of. I also didn't mean to come off as condescending with the "gee" part. My bad. I realize I probably did.

I just have no idea how you can blame anyone but Hester for failing to succeed as a WR. His faults and shortcomings are so blatant and obvious.

"Make plays" as a WR? Sure, he already did that. Be a serviceable #2 or #3? Hell no.

Also, he's getting into his 30's. One day (probably soon) those burners are just going flame out, and he'll be rendered utterly useless to anyone. More or less as a WR.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit my post was confusing, and I changed tunes in the middle... sort of. I also didn't mean to come off as condescending with the "gee" part. My bad. I realize I probably did.

I just have no idea how you can blame anyone but Hester for failing to succeed as a WR. His faults and shortcomings are so blatant and obvious.

"Make plays" as a WR? Sure, he already did that. Be a serviceable #2 or #3? Hell no.

Also, he's getting into his 30's. One day (probably soon) those burners are just going flame out, and he'll be rendered utterly useless to anyone. More or less as a WR.

I blame no-one for DH's failure @ WR but DH. He just seems like a dumb ass. But you have to admit , he made some crazy catches for us. And he does have a talent. Especially in the open field.
I appreciate what he brought to the Bears. But I can't say I'm sorry he's gone. He let too many catchable punts bounce in front of him and usually ended up costing us another 10-15 yards.
Would have loved to see how Trestman would have used him.
Just think he will be productive in ATL. If he doesn't have to think.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody wonder why Lovie didn't sign him? Or why didn't Toub get him? Devin is not a WR and his age is working against him.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:bullshit:.....Just kidding!

...and no disrespect in return...but I cant agree because I specifically recall reading that he wanted to do more, and another contract with the Bears might be in jeopardy if that accomodation wasnt made. He wanted to play. His next contract was escalator filled, which helped keep the value down( but he was still overpaid, imo) His return skills made him a roster lock- so using him at WR was of little risk. I do think management pushed the useful life of the experiment too long. However, I dont remember anything about this being completely forced on to him by management.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to beat BLH. But I believe you just did it.Kudos.

I could be thinking of something else, but I sure remember reading about what couldve happened if they didnt give him a WR role. While Ive been insistent, Im not THAT adamant, lol ...:suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be thinking of something else, but I sure remember reading about what couldve happened if they didnt give him a WR role. While Ive been insistent, Im not THAT adamant, lol ...:suds:

:suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every game since 2007 revere were moments where I had questioned his "greatness".....I remember numerous times at games in which fans all around me questioned his "greatness"........ :gaah:

I'm sure you have had the same moments.....please don't act like he was a perfect player.:lol:

I gave Devin his due respect but when he is not a Chicago Bear...lit means he will be the enemy.......period.....I am not leading the brigade to have other do the samne as me......I am not starting an "Devin Hester is our enemy" facebook page........I simply will not cheer him on.......as long ashe is not a Chicago Bear

I don't even understand how he wasn't as close to a perfect return man as you can get.

The longevity he's had and the numbers he put up blow any other return man ever to play the game out of the water. Give me a fucking break. Wow…

And no one is asking you to "cheer" the guy on like a school child. However, being happy for him when he does it? Yeah. Why wouldn't you be? God, you're such a close minded jackass sometimes. It's amazing. As if you sitting on your fat ass on Sunday and cheering for him or not actually impacts anything. Once again, have some fucking perspective. The guy provided Bears fans with almost a decade of great memories, and was extremely classy in the process. If you can't smile for him when he breaks the record, than you're honestly… just a shit human being. Not to mention a shit sports fan.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct....I'm not a sports fan. I'm a NFL fan mostly and secondary hockey fan. Thanks for the compliments.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's your opinion. not mine!

I don't even understand how he wasn't as close to a perfect return man as you can get.

The longevity he's had and the numbers he put up blow any other return man ever to play the game out of the water. Give me a fucking break. Wow…

And no one is asking you to "cheer" the guy on like a school child. However, being happy for him when he does it? Yeah. Why wouldn't you be? God, you're such a close minded jackass sometimes. It's amazing. As if you sitting on your fat ass on Sunday and cheering for him or not actually impacts anything. Once again, have some fucking perspective. The guy provided Bears fans with almost a decade of great memories, and was extremely classy in the process. If you can't smile for him when he breaks the record, than you're honestly… just a shit human being. Not to mention a shit sports fan.

I'll say it again. If he isn't a Chicago Bear it simply doesn't matter to me. I will not cheer him on or be happy for him period. You and everyone else can it will not bother me 1 bit. Me cheering Devin or not matters only to me and I choose not to. I am over Devin and any other players that have moved on. When his playing days are over I will remember his days here not with any other team just as I have for all Chicago Bear players. As for him being classy, maybe yes maybe no. He held the team hostage for #1WR money he did not deserve. Not real classy in my book. But that is My Opinion. Hope to met you someday Rich so we can talk man to man about the Bears over a couple beers. Let me know so I can lose the fat ass I have:lol:

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll say it again. If he isn't a Chicago Bear it simply doesn't matter to me. I will not cheer him on or be happy for him period. You and everyone else can it will not bother me 1 bit. Me cheering Devin or not matters only to me and I choose not to. I am over Devin and any other players that have moved on. When his playing days are over I will remember his days here not with any other team just as I have for all Chicago Bear players. As for him being classy, maybe yes maybe no. He held the team hostage for #1WR money he did not deserve. Not real classy in my book. But that is My Opinion. Hope to met you someday Rich so we can talk man to man about the Bears over a couple beers. Let me know so I can lose the fat ass I have:lol:

personally, I'm not laughing. Richig totally schooled you, and you are too oblivious to not realize how classless you are that you are actually doubling down on your intense jerkoff stupidity.

For you to have the temerity to bring up "class" just takes the fucking cake. Man to man? You are a weasel.