• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His FIVE touchdown passes yesterday traveled a combined 13 yards downfield. We'll never know but that has to be an NFL record among QBs to throw 4 or 5 TD passes in a game. If you saw the game you probably already know the types of TD passes he had, but I'm posting it anyway because that's just nuts.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
His FIVE touchdown passes yesterday traveled a combined 13 yards downfield. We'll never know but that has to be an NFL record among QBs to throw 4 or 5 TD passes in a game. If you saw the game you probably already know the types of TD passes he had, but I'm posting it anyway because that's just nuts.

I saw the first 15 seconds of that game. Chiefs have a 50 yard KO return. Charles then takes a little screen pass that looks like it is bottled up for 2-3 yards, gets outside and takes it to the house 50 yards. Boom boom. Amazing.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I watched a little bit of that game. It's always funny to see AS out there for a different team. He almost overthrew one of those screen passes too! Great one handed grab that got taken to the house. Those screen plays are basically extended hand offs, and completely skewed the passing stats. Charles must have had a wet dream the night of that trade.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex is far from having a gifted arm, but he's making smart plays and taking what the defense gives him.

Reminds me of that old ESPN football drama Playmakers, where the offensive coordinator challenges the starting QB to see who can get the football further down the field. The QB throws a 50-60 yard bomb, but the OC basically throws a screen into the back of a cart that someone is driving to the locker room. The cart goes through the endzone and out a pair of double doors.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh and earth to Raider defense - Alex Smith likes to make short dump off passes to RB's and TE's a lot. Maybe they can get this message the next time they play. But they're in the same division so maybe they'll start figuring that out in a few years.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hey Pozz.. can you clarify this statement?... The last 2 TD's alone traveled more than 13 yards down field .. The 4th TD pass was a wheel route to Charles that traveled at least 8 yards before Charles broke away.. The 5th TD was a 6 yard throw to McGrath on the Oakland 6 yard line.. McGrath was stading on the goal line when he caught the pass..

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted in the game thread that they threw 3 of the 5 TDs on what appeared to be the exact same play which is a screen pass. This is no real surprise as Andy Reid is known for screen passes and using his RB's in the passing game. He also hit Charles on a dump off for a TD and McGrath (Duck Dynasty) for about a 4 yard TD pass.

I certainly would not take anything away from Alex Smith for his and Charles' success as he has shown lately to respond well to coach Reid opening that offense up a bit and throwing more passes down the field. Alex has never liked to go downfield but has shown to do this more often then I've ever seen him over the past 3 to 5 weeks.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how many yards they went but it was for more than 13. The one pass to Charles was from the Chiefs 30 and he caught it on the wheel route at just over midfield. That play alone went 20-25 yards in the air.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how many yards they went but it was for more than 13. The one pass to Charles was from the Chiefs 30 and he caught it on the wheel route at just over midfield. That play alone went 20-25 yards in the air.

I forgot about that one until I just saw it on ESPN. That pass by itself went longer than 13, it was closer to 20 yards downfield.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey Pozz.. can you clarify this statement?... The last 2 TD's alone traveled more than 13 yards down field .. The 4th TD pass was a wheel route to Charles that traveled at least 8 yards before Charles broke away.. The 5th TD was a 6 yard throw to McGrath on the Oakland 6 yard line.. McGrath was stading on the goal line when he caught the pass..

I'm guessing it's because some of the passes were actually behind the LOS, and thus technically for negative yardage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's the highlight I recall seeing, as well. But if two or three passes were four or five yards behind the LOS, it could be.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the highlight I recall seeing, as well. But if two or three passes were four or five yards behind the LOS, it could be.

I guess but that seems like semantics. I mean its not like he threw the ball backwards. They still traveled forward in the air. LOL. I figured you would just 0 those out. Who knows?? More importantly... Who cares?? LOL

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmm, do the Niners have any shifty, quick backs they could pass to? One wonders. Hunter: 2 receptions, LMJ 1.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith Is a Beast. He is doing a great job at KC and wish him luck.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes me wish that we would run more screen passes to Hunter. I have always been baffled by the absence of the screen pass in our offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, and the 71 yarder went 22 yards past the LOS. So that is 22 + 8 + 6 = 36 yards. No way the screens were 23 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Plus, the passes were forward of course, contrary to what "13 yards" sound like.

Take a look: Pass Atlas: A Map of Where NFL Quarterbacks Throw the Ball - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

MOST passes are short or behind the LOS. Second most are intermediate passes. Guess where Smith's strengths are? Yep, those two. Where has Smith increased and improved in? Yep, the deeper passes. Drops affect that number where safe overthrows used to. Reid is working on Smith. Will never be a gunslinger, but will get more frequent with deeper or tighter window passes while still being smart with the football.