• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid, to me, has earned a starting job. Everytime he's in the game he's beating a blocker. He doesn't get the sack everytime, he doesn't force a bad pass everytime, however, he does seem to beat the blocker everytime he's in the game. That game against the Eagles he looked to hold up well against the run. I like that he's getting more pt, though I think he should be taking over for PH next week and beyond. He brings that consistent passrush we need. Only Justin Smith (and maybe Goldson) plays with more tenacity.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must still have problems in coverage and against the run in practice. That must be why he's not starting... obviously he can rush the passer... but the coaches must think he poses too big of a risk somewhere else

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must still have problems in coverage and against the run in practice. That must be why he's not starting... obviously he can rush the passer... but the coaches must think he poses too big of a risk somewhere else

I doubt it. I think it's just the whole "experience" thing, and because PH hasn't played bad. Aldon won't be in coverage too much regardless, kind of like Ware. Aldon has never been known for not being able to handle the run. He'll be starting after the bye week at the latest, he's too much of a factor.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, maybe it's just the Clay Matthews treatment like Clyde mentioned in the game day thread. I don't think CM started until about the 4th or 5th week? After 3.5 sacks in the last two games off the bench, he'll probably be starting next week or within weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd just really rather not start tinkering with personnel on defense if we don't have to.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just really rather not start tinkering with personnel on defense if we don't have to.

You don't think we can improve? Aldon looks like that double digit sack olb we've been looking for.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You don't think we can improve? Aldon looks like that double digit sack olb we've been looking for.

He looks like a double digit sack DE in a 4 man front. he's rushing with his hand on the ground in passing downs with just one responsibility. If he's starting he's rushing from a point stance with multiple responsibilities. If he's going to play how he has been, we'd have to redo the entire defense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been getting a good amount of playing time that's for sure....

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like to see more Aldon- its not like Haralson's great in pass coverage anyway.

But imac's got a point that becoming the everydown starter is a big shift. AND being able to rotate the front 5 is huge. Keep Smith, RJF, Dobbs involved to keep everyone fresh. Obviously Detroit will be a much bigger test, i'd like to see Aldon involved plenty early to see if he can rattle Stafford.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like a double digit sack DE in a 4 man front. he's rushing with his hand on the ground in passing downs with just one responsibility. If he's starting he's rushing from a point stance with multiple responsibilities. If he's going to play how he has been, we'd have to redo the entire defense.

I have to disagree with the bolded. He's also played from a 2 point stance this season and has had the same pass rush. I don't think we'd have to change anything. I think when he steps in the defense will be ran pretty much the same, just with more talent. I do think Aldon will be moved around to the weakside exclusively, as well as I think he'll get beat a few timesw aainst the rb.I just think he'll create havoc in between, definetly more than what Parys has been bringing.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mortreport Chris Mortensen
RT @truesportsguy: aldon smith an early candidate for defensive rookie of the year?>> Really, really good rookie class & Smith is a beast

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? well I guess for defensive purposes.... I'm glad Aldon is playing super well or playing as of late super well, but DROY? need more sacks/finishes for my liking :)

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? well I guess for defensive purposes.... I'm glad Aldon is playing super well or playing as of late super well, but DROY? need more sacks/finishes for my liking :)

Just imagine where he could be with more playing time. He didn't play a defensive snap in the first game, I don't think he played any in the 2nd game, 3rd game was minimal, fourth game he played so well while he was in that they couldn't find a reason to take him out and now this fifth game he's become a DROY frontrunner. He has 3.5 sacks in the last two games, plus numerous qb hurries/flushes. This has all been done with a handful of snaps (besides the Eagles game). He needs to be starting and they won't be able to keep him from starting by halfway through the season, tops. He's a monster out there.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just have to trust the coaching staff with this.. they didn't draft him in the 1st round to be a situational player, he'll be starting soon enough... or maybe he won't... what he's doing now for the defense is working for the team. The defense isn't getting hurt by not having him on the field all the time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just imagine where he could be with more playing time. He didn't play a defensive snap in the first game, I don't think he played any in the 2nd game, 3rd game was minimal, fourth game he played so well while he was in that they couldn't find a reason to take him out and now this fifth game he's become a DROY frontrunner. He has 3.5 sacks in the last two games, plus numerous qb hurries/flushes. This has all been done with a handful of snaps (besides the Eagles game). He needs to be starting and they won't be able to keep him from starting by halfway through the season, tops. He's a monster out there.

believe Barrows responded to this same question in his blog? the answer is Haralson is a better OLB than Aldon Smith. Aldon Smith is a better DE than Haralson.

anyways, Smith IS getting playing time meaning he is being groomed to start. since its working so well now (don't forget run D), why force the issue? if Smith is this good as you think, don't worry, he'll be in the line-up soon as he's better than Haralson.

find it hard to believe he's a better OLB now, and coaches are purposely holding him back?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keep it going Aldon!! Other guys should be getting better chances, Smith , Brooks, PH, RJF, What are you Doing Willis!!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm fine with the way he's being handled right now. Give him some plays he's comfortable with and increase the load the more and more he's starting to grasp.

Also no reason to leave PH out of the loop if he's play effectively himself and having a rotation will keep both him and Smith fresher throughout the game and season.

Typically rookie defensive linemen aren't comfortable in their first year and need a year under their belt even more so when you're asking them to start standing up.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Haralson hasn't played effectively... at least he hasn't made an impact out there since game 1... Smith on the other hand is breaking his blocker, getting off blocks and getting to the QB's face more so than Haralson.

I rather gamble with the bumps in the road with Smith over Haralson over the majority of the game. But yes, play Haralson too.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets leave the defense the way it is

I say we leave the defense the way it is. If someone gets hurt then we replace them. But other than that lets leave it the way it is.