• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith wins DRoftM

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers rookie linebacker Aldon Smith, whose role on the team has slowly increased, won the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month award. He recorded 6.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a safety, and a pass defensed in October.

It’s remarkable to think that Smith was considered a reach at No. 7 overall. He’s part of a very strong rookie class, especially at the top of the draft. Smith and Von Miller look like top candidates for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Aldon Smith, Arian Foster, Joe McKnight are award winners | ProFootballTalk

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. Hope he continues this kind of play for the entire season. He will be huge come playoff time.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pick based on how he fits the scheme. Instead of getting Awukamara or Gabbert we drafted Smith and picked up Carlos Rogers. Working out well for us. Culliver has played well too. Baalke doing a good job.

davidin.fan76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was gonna start a thread on him. Was excited about him when we drafted him because of his athleticism but holy hell, he's so young and inexperienced but paying dividends already. Schemes have deffinitely benefited him but looks like the sky might be the limit.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm considering buying a Aldon Smith rookie card while they are cheap.

I have a pretty good success rate of choosing the valuable ones. I still got my JJ stokes cards. I know that one of these days, the single JJ fan you always see on TV is going to need it. Me and him have a bond. It has to be the right time though, I can't pay $.40 a week for that long to sell a $3 card.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wasn't this the guy that was a huge reach and was a horrible pick by Baalke?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some felt that way. I was OK with it. It wasn't like he passed on Von Miller or Peterson to take him. So I don't understand what the fuss was about. I wasn't hell bent on Locker or a fan at all of Prince. It was also no secret that the Texans wanted him. So huge reach is laughable.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure some felt that way. I was OK with it. It wasn't like he passed on Von Miller or Peterson to take him. So I don't understand what the fuss was about. I wasn't hell bent on Locker or a fan at all of Prince. It was also no secret that the Texans wanted him. So huge reach is laughable.

My only concern with Aldon was scheme. His athleticism out of college was very apparent but I still thought it would take him the better part of this year to become comfortable in a two-point and in coverage. I didn't think he was a reach but he is exceeding my expectations.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably still isn't comfortable at that but it is all about pass rush baby. I hope we keep playing against lots of 3 WR sets!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He probably still isn't comfortable at that but it is all about pass rush baby. I hope we keep playing against lots of 3 WR sets!

Agreed! His ceiling is among the highest of any player on our team right now.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern with Aldon was scheme. His athleticism out of college was very apparent but I still thought it would take him the better part of this year to become comfortable in a two-point and in coverage. I didn't think he was a reach but he is exceeding my expectations.

This, however I did think it was a reach... I honestly believed he was Manny 2.0 all over....

but he's making progress much sooner than expected and he's a joy to watch coming from his most disgusted fan after draft day.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This, however I did think it was a reach... I honestly believed he was Manny 2.0 all over....

but he's making progress much sooner than expected and he's a joy to watch coming from his most disgusted fan after draft day.

At least you have the brass to admit it - most wouldn't. After watching his film and seeing how dominate he was from just about anywhere on the line I knew he was a player, but I expected him to be a huge liability in coverage. At one point I thought, like a few others, that he alone might be worth switching to a 4-3. Yet, he has even impressed me in coverage and nearly had a pick against Detroit.

I am as much impressed with our coaching staff as I am the players. Seely, Fangio, Roman & Harbaugh are a team of player experts of the likes we have not seen since the 80's. When you have coaches that smart and players as talented as ours, good things happen. Like Harbaugh has said, something magical is happening here. I just hope we can keep this staff together long enough to make it happen all the way.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was very underwhelmed by the pick, I wasn't pissed like some people, but I had watched a few Missouri games to watch Gabbert, and Aldon didn't stand out enough for me to take notice in those games. I usually at least have our first round picks on my radar, The last time I was blind sided by a pick it got us Balmer, and before that it got us Woods, so I was thinking "oh no they did it again"

but it turns out I really just didn't know shit about Smith. The guy is looking like he could be a beast for us.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was very underwhelmed by the pick, I wasn't pissed like some people, but I had watched a few Missouri games to watch Gabbert, and Aldon didn't stand out enough for me to take notice in those games. I usually at least have our first round picks on my radar, The last time I was blind sided by a pick it got us Balmer, and before that it got us Woods, so I was thinking "oh no they did it again"

but it turns out I really just didn't know shit about Smith. The guy is looking like he could be a beast for us.

The Balmer pick, what the hell was that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you have the brass to admit it - most wouldn't. After watching his film and seeing how dominate he was from just about anywhere on the line I knew he was a player, but I expected him to be a huge liability in coverage. At one point I thought, like a few others, that he alone might be worth switching to a 4-3. Yet, he has even impressed me in coverage and nearly had a pick against Detroit.

I am as much impressed with our coaching staff as I am the players. Seely, Fangio, Roman & Harbaugh are a team of player experts of the likes we have not seen since the 80's. When you have coaches that smart and players as talented as ours, good things happen. Like Harbaugh has said, something magical is happening here. I just hope we can keep this staff together long enough to make it happen all the way.

I also was prepared to give him 3 years to make something happen.... but to Aldon's credit, his success is both hard work and natural gifted....

lol at the Balmer pick.... Pozz actually had rumblings that either he liked him as a prospect or chances the Niners would select him prior to the draft....

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not going to lie. I didnt know too much about Aldon Smith before the draft. So i thought we might of over shot on a guy that was supposed to be a late round pick. Glad I was wrong ..

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate to nitpick ya', M-Dub, but that play he was dropping into a zone and Stafford basically speared him with the ball. Aldon should have caught it, probably dropped out of surprise, but I don't think the play necessarily demonstrated any coverage ability. I'm much more worried about him covering a man than an area.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hate to nitpick ya', M-Dub, but that play he was dropping into a zone and Stafford basically speared him with the ball. Aldon should have caught it, probably dropped out of surprise, but I don't think the play necessarily demonstrated any coverage ability. I'm much more worried about him covering a man than an area.

I can't argue with that one bit, Brother Mem...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he was a reach. his leg injury limited his play during his final year. so basically he only had one full season, which could have been a fluke season. he's showing a lot more agility and quickness so far, something i didnt see last year when i watched him.