• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alcorn State, Florida A&M, Stetson and Central Arkansas Banned From 2015-16 Postseason for Low APR s

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the biggest joke of all is Wisconsin who just barely made the cut. Bo Ryan runs a sham program and has the lowest graduation rate for Division 1 NCAA Men's Basketball. Way to go Bo, you really care about your players!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the biggest joke of all is Wisconsin who just barely made the cut. Bo Ryan runs a sham program and has the lowest graduation rate for Division 1 NCAA Men's Basketball. Way to go Bo, you really care about your players!

I knew he was a no-class bigmouth but is this really true?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should really provide a link because I can't find anything saying Wisconsin barely passed the APR. however this is what I did find
To avoid a potential postseason ban, teams must achieve a multi-year APR score of at least 930. The power-conference programs with the least margin for error are Texas Tech (935), TCU (937), Mississippi State (938) and Washington State (938).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also appears that the link provided isn't updated for this year.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me these kids should be there to be students first and athletes second. IMO if they have grades that aren't up to snuff they should be kicked off the team.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you got your info but Wisconsin passed with flying colors.
Wisconsin was one of just four FBS schools to achieve at least a 985 APR in football and men's basketball, joining Duke, Stanford and Michigan. Adding men's hockey to the mix, UW is the only FBS school (and joins FCS schools Dartmouth and Holy Cross) with at least a 985 APR in those three sports.
Wisconsin football checks in with top APR in the country - UWBadgers.com - The Official Athletic Site of the Wisconsin Badgers

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not...
March Madness: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin Badgers at bottom of graduation rates - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Hey Bo Ryan, Quit Whining, Wisconsins Basketball Graduation Rate is in the Toilet [UPDATE] | The Big Lead

"They have the lowest Graduation Success Rate for black men of zero and the third-lowest overall at 40 percent. They were one of 16 teams that should be disqualified for historically graduating less than 50 percent of either black or white players or having an overall rate under 50 percent."

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March Madness: Top on the courts, but Wisconsin Badgers at bottom of graduation rates - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Hey Bo Ryan, Quit Whining, Wisconsins Basketball Graduation Rate is in the Toilet [UPDATE] | The Big Lead

"They have the lowest Graduation Success Rate for black men of zero and the third-lowest overall at 40 percent. They were one of 16 teams that should be disqualified for historically graduating less than 50 percent of either black or white players or having an overall rate under 50 percent."
We were talking APR which is what I posted about. I don't know how graduation rate works but shouldn't Kentucky be dead last since none of their players even stay more than a couple years? I don't feel like looking up the guidelines.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were talking APR which is what I posted about. I don't know how graduation rate works but shouldn't Kentucky be dead last since none of their players even stay more than a couple years? I don't feel like looking up the guidelines.
My bad I assumed this is what he was referencing.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The APR has nothing to do with graduation rates. The two are completely unrelated. You can have a 100% graduation rate and still end up with a subpar APR (realistically unlikely, but still possible) or have a team with 0% graduation rate and an excellent APR (see Kentucky whose graduation rate isn't 0% but is pretty close if you're talking about players that graduate before they go pro)

Genjac's headline was about APRs but his statement about Wisconsin was regarding graduation rates, though it was worded ambiguously since he said UW "barely made the cut" which implied their APR was bad too.

Here's how the NCAA calculates graduation rates:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/How is grad rate calculated_oct2014_draft3.pdf

The infographic in the Boston Globe article shows that their numbers came from the 2014 NCAA graduation rate data. The link I provided says that the NCAA allows up to 6 years for a student-athlete to graduate, so presumably an athlete that enrolled in 2009 (only 5 years prior to the data) who hadn't graduated yet, wouldn't count against a schools graduation rate, though they would next year.

As to how that applies to Kentucky, I can't find anything that says the student-athlete must still be playing on scholarship at the time of graduation, just that they are enrolled, so UK's graduation rate might still be respectable after all is said and done because plenty of those guys who have left early have continued to work on their degrees and many have graduated.

As far as highly regarded academic institutions one shouldn't assume that just because a school has a good academic reputation that their athletic department maintains the same standards. (See: Chapel Hill) In a perfect world they would, but this ain't a perfect world we're livin in.