• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Al Rosen passes away at 91

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Rosen MVP of the AL in 1953 of the Cleveland Indians and also one of the great GM's in MLB history passed away yesterday March 13th at age 91.

Rosen brought back respect along side of his manager Roger Craig in the mid 80's to a SF Giants team that was lost and floundering. Rosen and Craig embraced the cold and wind of Candlestick park and passed on that home field advantage feeling down to the team. He brought in guys like Will Clark, and Robby Thompson to kick start the club with needed youth that pumped life into the Giants. Rosen was tough but also very fair and molded some great teams. The Giants won the 1989 NL but came up short to the A's in the WS. A great man in baseball and Giants history. I thank him for his spirit and drive to win and turning around the Giants during some of the most fun years of my life.

R.I.P. Al Rosen

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:(

He was "my" first Giants GM. Like you said, he and Humm Baby (and later, McGowan) really turned thing around for this franchise.

I hope the org does something special for him this season, whether it is a patch on the unis or to retire his "number". He really was huge in setting the culture of this team. Wasn't he instrumental in getting Mays back in the fold and establishing the strong alumni organization?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:(

He was "my" first Giants GM. Like you said, he and Humm Baby (and later, McGowan) really turned thing around for this franchise.

I hope the org does something special for him this season, whether it is a patch on the unis or to retire his "number". He really was huge in setting the culture of this team. Wasn't he instrumental in getting Mays back in the fold and establishing the strong alumni organization?

WILLIE MAYS IS 24 AGAIN - NYTimes.com

That's the reason Al Rosen wanted Willie Mays to be around the Giants, to be in uniform out on the field before as many games in Candlestick Park, and to make as many road trips as he can fit into his schedule.

''Willie is more than Mr. Giant, he's Mr. Baseball,'' the Giants' president said. ''He's helping our outfielders, and he'll be helping our hitters. There was no greater player.''​

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Rosen MVP of the AL in 1953 of the Cleveland Indians and also one of the great GM's in MLB history passed away yesterday March 13th at age 91.

Rosen brought back respect along side of his manager Roger Craig in the mid 80's to a SF Giants team that was lost and floundering. Rosen and Craig embraced the cold and wind of Candlestick park and passed on that home field advantage feeling down to the team. He brought in guys like Will Clark, and Robby Thompson to kick start the club with needed youth that pumped life into the Giants. Rosen was tough but also very fair and molded some great teams. The Giants won the 1989 NL but came up short to the A's in the WS. A great man in baseball and Giants history. I thank him for his spirit and drive to win and turning around the Giants during some of the most fun years of my life.

R.I.P. Al Rosen
Rosen was a great player;just one of those guys who never took care of himself. MVP at 29 and three years later out of baseball as an old man.