• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aiken

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last years number one overall pick Bradley Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery yesterday. He was projected to be a top 5 pick again this year. Now with the surgery he should slide back. He was young for the draft last year and will only be 18 in this years draft. I think it would be a great get regardless of the injury if he slides to either of the Pirates first round picks. Adding that type of talent that late in the first round would be huge.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last years number one overall pick Bradley Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery yesterday. He was projected to be a top 5 pick again this year. Now with the surgery he should slide back. He was young for the draft last year and will only be 18 in this years draft. I think it would be a great get regardless of the injury if he slides to either of the Pirates first round picks. Adding that type of talent that late in the first round would be huge.

Just my opinion here, but it will have to be a very deep draft for him to slide to us. Currently from all I have read, it is really strong for about 10-15 picks, then it is q crap shoot. Still some good talent, but each with question marks. That being said, it is hard for me to see a scenario where he drops past the first 15 picks. However, if he does make it to us, he would be a good get.

This is why he should have taken the amended deal last year, no matter where he is drafted, he is not getting $5 million from anyone. My personal opinion, he should just skip the draft this year, get healthy, pitch some next year and then enter the draft. It makes no sense to go through the draft this year, take a lesser deal, and still lose a year. But what do I know.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys recover well from the first TJ (usually, though the success rate is dropping a bit, probably from sheer volume of surgeries), but if he has a second one, that would be death. I don't know if I would want a guy who carries that kind of extra risk, especially since, as an 18 year old pitcher, he's already risky.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Guys recover well from the first TJ (usually, though the success rate is dropping a bit, probably from sheer volume of surgeries), but if he has a second one, that would be death. I don't know if I would want a guy who carries that kind of extra risk, especially since, as an 18 year old pitcher, he's already risky.

The newest information I have read says tj is good for about 8 years. So basically if we got him in the system next year, he would need the surgery again 2-3 years into his major league career. Not an optimal situation. Along those lines, Taillon should need the surgery again the year after he signs with another team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The newest information I have read says tj is good for about 8 years. So basically if we got him in the system next year, he would need the surgery again 2-3 years into his major league career. Not an optimal situation. Along those lines, Taillon should need the surgery again the year after he signs with another team.

Yup, sounds about right.

There are a lot of interesting college bats this year, though. The shortstops are actually pretty good, for example, which is rare.

I know the Pirates are deep at catcher, but in the third or fourth round, if he's still there, I'd like the Pirates to look at Riley Moore. He's a tall kid, but really thin, and has some serious raw power he simply hasn't turned into game power yet, but he has an absolute cannon for an arm, and he puts the ball right on second base most of the time. Seems like a good blocker and at least an okay receiver, as well. He hits for average, can go to all fields, and has a good eye, too. Not a lot of scouts are really high on him, but I just don't see how he wouldn't make the Majors and contribute there with his tools.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, the Pirates could draft Aiken, let him have a couple impressive seasons in the minors, raise his stock as a prospect, then trade him for a Major League asset if they are uncomfortable about his health.