• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West looking tougher

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say all three of the other AFC West teams have played pretty impressive. Obviously the Broncos still look like the class of the division but the nickname AFC Worst might be going away over the next couple of years. Looks like AFC North is heading that direction very quickly. Cincinnati looked like the only competent team in week one

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree. I never thought the Chuggers would stand up so well against a strong Houston team. If you watched enough Chugger games the past couple years, you could really see a difference in their attitude last night. They had become a soft, careless (might be too strong a word) team under Turner, but last night they looked tough on both sides of the ball. Eddie Royal sighting too. If anything, I'm glad to see him have a good game for the SD. Leave it to Phyllis though.....crunch time.......and he throws a pick six. Great play by Cushing there, but still, you know SD fans are fuming that Rivers even threw that ball :doh:

I'm glad they lost. As much as I hate them though, they did play pretty darn well.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also thinking that the AFCW is much improved this year as the game last night went to the half with SD surprising Houston 21-7. I began to question that, however, during the second half as the Chargers collapsed during the second half for the second consecutive time that they played on Monday night (doubt that any Broncos fan remembers their last second half fold job on MNF, right?).

Ever since KC hired Reid and got Smith as their QB this past offseason I've been expecting them to improve this year. They had a lot of injuries last year, poor QB play, and were basically a mess, though they have too many good players to finish as poorly as they did last year. Still, as Denver fans know, going to Jax to for an early kickoff in September is never easy, even against a bad team. But more than anything else, I think that the first week of the season is probably most consistent with what most already suspected: Denver figures to again be the class of the AFCW.

I was really surprised by how competitively Oakland played at Indy, giving themselves a chance to win there before losing late. Terrelle Pryor and the Raider defense were surprisingly good. Will they -- particularly Pryor -- continue to play well? Maybe, but I'm not convinced of that.

Reading too much into Week 1 is always perilous, but I do think that the AFCW is probably better this year than last year. Minus Denver's 13-3 mark, the remaining records of the three teams in that division combined to total 13-35. I definitely think that KC and SD are capable of combining this season for more than 13 wins, so I'd say that there is a good chance that the AFCW is better this year than last.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely was week 1 so hard to read too much into it but All 3 teams just seemed to have a fight in them that was not present last year. I guess it is that Denver coaching pedigree that is rampant throughout the AFC West (Still can't believe in consecutive years we have had 2 teams in our division take one of our coordinators) :nod:. To be honest this is what I was hoping for. The Broncos cruised though the 2nd half of their schedule last year and I think it hurt us when we actually did have to play in a close game. Hopefully this year we can have a few more close ones to help get that little bit of an edge that we could be beat at any time by any team come playoffs.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, Chargers looked like the same old Chargers to me. Look good for a half, but as soon as the pressure gets turned up, they fold like a wet piece of paper. To me they are exactly what I thought they were.

The Raiders did impress me, I thought they'd be battling the Jaguars for the number 1 pick in the draft but they really played hard and had some fight in them, I can see them stealing a few wins. Still not very good, but I don't think 5 wins is out of the question.

The Chiefs were very impressive. Yes, it was the Jaguars, but the Chiefs did to a bad team what you're supposed to do, that's blow them out. I pegged them as a 7 to 8 win team, maybe possibly 9 if they got every break, but now I don't think 10 wins is out of the realm of possibility. I still wonder about their pass protection, and outside of Bowe I'm still not scared of any of their receivers, but they could provide a challenge if Denver slips up a bit. And as bad as the AFC looks, I'd say a wild card is a really good chance for the Chiefs.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree. I never thought the Chuggers would stand up so well against a strong Houston team. If you watched enough Chugger games the past couple years, you could really see a difference in their attitude last night. They had become a soft, careless (might be too strong a word) team under Turner, but last night they looked tough on both sides of the ball. Eddie Royal sighting too. If anything, I'm glad to see him have a good game for the SD. Leave it to Phyllis though.....crunch time.......and he throws a pick six. Great play by Cushing there, but still, you know SD fans are fuming that Rivers even threw that ball :doh:

I'm glad they lost. As much as I hate them though, they did play pretty darn well.

Chargers looked decent, but I'm not sure if they're all that improved from last season or not. This game told me more about the Texans though than it did about San Diego. Houston seems more vulnerable this season, especially on defense. They lose this game if it weren't for the Chargers being the Chargers. I wouldn't be surprised if Indy supplants the Texans on top of the AFC South this season. Still early though. Week 2 will begin to tell more of a tale.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if Indy supplants the Texans on top of the AFC South this season.
I would. Indy looked pretty bad in their game against the Raiders. They can't protect Luck and their defense looks very suspect. I think they overachieved last year and take a step back this season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would. Indy looked pretty bad in their game against the Raiders. They can't protect Luck and their defense looks very suspect. I think they overachieved last year and take a step back this season.

Yeah I would be surprised if Indy took back over the division this year. The OL that was supposed to be better this year looked as bad as ever for Luck. Luck will carry this team farther than they should be but I don't think it is to the top of the division. Maybe one more good year of drafting a FA and they can think about it but not this year. I still think they can be a playoff team though as the Wild Card. The AFC North looked down right embarrassing and even though three teams won in the AFC East I would say Miami and New England are the only teams that actually stand a chance of being good. So I still think Indy because they get 2 free victories against Jacksonville, at least one against Tennessee, at least one or two more in the AFC West, one or two against the NFC West, and then split between Miami and Cincinnati for another victory. They should finish somewhere in that 9-7 range which could definitely be good enough for the playoffs this year in the AFC.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is overrated in my opinion. They have a good pass rush and JJ Watt is a difference maker, but their secondary is suspect and when they play really good teams they can't keep up in all phases, look at what the Patriots did to them last year.

Houston's biggest weakness is Schaub. He is just not a top tier QB.

San Diego will still have issues protecting Rivers with that O-line and Rivers did throw a pick 6. How about Eddie Royal with 2 TD's though?

As for the rest of the AFC West, KC has a better QB, so better offensive production in the passing game, I believe Alex Smith had 2 TD's but come on...they played Jacksonville.

:L

The Raiders have a mobile QB, who still threw 2 INT's and their defense is still terrible.

Look at their respective opponents, Houston, Jacksonville and Indy. Not exactly the cream of the crop in the AFC. Indy and Houston are just ok and maybe take a step down a little this year and Jacksonville will still be horrible.

Let's see what the rest of the AFC west looks like when they play a top team.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is overrated in my opinion. They have a good pass rush and JJ Watt is a difference maker, but their secondary is suspect and when they play really good teams they can't keep up in all phases, look at what the Patriots did to them last year.

Houston's biggest weakness is Schaub. He is just not a top tier QB.

San Diego will still have issues protecting Rivers with that O-line and Rivers did throw a pick 6. How about Eddie Royal with 2 TD's though?

As for the rest of the AFC West, KC has a better QB, so better offensive production in the passing game, I believe Alex Smith had 2 TD's but come on...they played Jacksonville.

:L

The Raiders have a mobile QB, who still threw 2 INT's and their defense is still terrible.

Look at their respective opponents, Houston, Jacksonville and Indy. Not exactly the cream of the crop in the AFC. Indy and Houston are just ok and maybe take a step down a little this year and Jacksonville will still be horrible.

Let's see what the rest of the AFC west looks like when they play a top team.

Yes....big ups to Eddie :thumb:

He was always one of my favs when he was here.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, does Houston get credit for a great come from behind win, or is San Diego just that bad at holding on to a lead?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, does Houston get credit for a great come from behind win, or is San Diego just that bad at holding on to a lead?

Based on Houston's performance earlier in that game, I'm chalking it up to SD's ability to blow a lead.:whistle:

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one team that scares me in the AFC West this year. That's the Raiders. Didn't think I'd be saying that.

The Chargers still have some fight in them and as long as Phylis is there they'll be competitive, but not on Denver's level. The Chiefs have to beat more than the Jaguars to show any improvement. A team of blind monkeys could beat Blaine Gabbert. Not that they're still terrible, they just need to show what they can do against teams that aren't the worst in the league.

The Raiders are the 2nd team in the division for one reason. Terrell Pryor. Watching all the Joakland preseason games this year, I had one thought about them. Please let Matt Flynn win the starting job. Pryor was the only QB on the roster that actually had the Raiders offense moving.

Granted, I'm not saying the Raiders are actually going to compete for the division. They're still lucky if they win 6 games this year. But considering they'd be lucky if they won 1 game this year prior to Pryor getting the starting nod, I'd say that's improvement.

Now, I'm not saying Pryor is a world beater or anything. He's a young QB, he's going to make mistakes like he did in the Colts game. And the Raider defense is still pathetic. But Pryor is a good enough weapon on his own that makes Joakland no longer a doormat and the only QB in division that could actually make our defense work this year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following a 4-0 showing by the division, I think that this thread deserves a bump. I certainly didn't see SD heading across the country for an early kickoff and coming off a short week getting a win. Nice win for KC over Dallas, too. And the Raiders ... well, it was Jacksonville.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs are better at Qb and coaching staff. Thats the only team in the AFC West that can give Denver a run.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs are better at Qb and coaching staff. Thats the only team in the AFC West that can give Denver a run.

Agreed, but I don't think they can keep pace with Denver. I do think they'll get in the playoffs as a wild card, though.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I don't think they can keep pace with Denver. I do think they'll get in the playoffs as a wild card, though.

kept telling everybody that 10-6 was a distinct possibility for my Chiefs this season but i don't think too many people bought into it. still, lots of season to go to see if i'm correct, but looking pretty good so far. as i said on another thread i still have concerns over the offense(particularly the protection and the receivers), but defensively i think they're there. guess we'll see how it all unfolds...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kept telling everybody that 10-6 was a distinct possibility for my Chiefs this season but i don't think too many people bought into it. still, lots of season to go to see if i'm correct, but looking pretty good so far. as i said on another thread i still have concerns over the offense(particularly the protection and the receivers), but defensively i think they're there. guess we'll see how it all unfolds...

It helps that they're facing a pretty easy schedule, too. The NFC East looks pretty bad, and the AFC South looks average. Plus they get Cleveland and @Buffalo, which is no gimme, but a game they should have a good shot at winning. And with the lack of depth in the AFC, 9 wins should get a wild card spot.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps that they're facing a pretty easy schedule, too. The NFC East looks pretty bad, and the AFC South looks average. Plus they get Cleveland and @Buffalo, which is no gimme, but a game they should have a good shot at winning. And with the lack of depth in the AFC, 9 wins should get a wild card spot.

and while there's some truth to that no one can tell how good teams are gonna be 'til a good way into the season. let's face it, just because a team sucked last year doesn't mean they will this one. not making excuses or anything. hell, after going 2-14 last year i'm enjoying this and who knows HOW long it'll last. but imo(and in the opinion of some others) there ARE no gimme's in the NFL...

i DO agree about 9 wins possibly getting them in, though. good assessment there...