• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A thought probably not worth anyone's time

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Remember after signing Harbaugh reading beat articles that would lead you to believe that Harbles is a good QB evaluator? Noting how Harby had Garrard and Romo rated as 2nd round QBs when everyone else didn't. They definitely out played their 4th round and undrafted labels, but they're two players that are exceedingly overrated.

Ever since the AS praising, I've pretty much doubted Harbaugh as a QB evaluator. I'm not trying to steer this into that thread, but with Kaep struggling in the preseason, I was wondering how other people felt about our HC as a QB evaluator.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's too early to say at this moment. I'll need a few years to give you an honest response.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Remember after signing Harbaugh reading beat articles that would lead you to believe that Harbles is a good QB evaluator? Noting how Harby had Garrard and Romo rated as 2nd round QBs when everyone else didn't. They definitely out played their 4th round and undrafted labels, but they're two players that are exceedingly overrated.

Ever since the AS praising, I've pretty much doubted Harbaugh as a QB evaluator. I'm not trying to steer this into that thread, but with Kaep struggling in the preseason, I was wondering how other people felt about our HC as a QB evaluator.

I don't think Romo or Garrard are overrated. Hell, Garrard was just cut. Romo is a very talented guy who has major mental lapses. They are what they are and I don't think too many people think they're more than that.

Re: Smith, I don't think Harbaugh has any designs on Smith as his QB of the future. He sees him as a tolerable option as a QB of the present and he's doing his best to build him up. Smith has been beaten down a lot. A QB-friendly coach building him up is a new thing. I can't say it'll work, but it can't be worse than the alternative.

As for Kaepernick, he was ALWAYS going to be a major project, even with a full offseason. He shouldn't play this season at all, at least outside of certain situations. He's a guy we're going to have to wait at least three years to even really start evaluating.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think because he was a pretty decent QB in the league... then with Andrew Luck playing so well, as well as his success in SD people started to piece that together. I have thought of him since the signing as more of a winning coach as apposed to being a great QB evaluator. Not to say he isn't good with QB's but thats just my take. As for CK... if people didn't view him as a project from the start then they are crazy. But there are a lot of people who wanted Nate Davis to start not long ago... I think the bottom line is that the 49er fans are just ready to win again, and want that staple at the quarterback position and head coach.

As for him praising Alex Smith... what did you want him to do?? The situation the team was facing this offseason was pretty unique. He knew Smith was going to be the guy to start. What good is it to rip him or show you lack confidence in him? Then you start off the entire relationship on the wrong foot and that leads to a disaster. At this point in our division, Smith is good enough to do what he did yesterday and give the team a shot. I don't think he is good enough to go and "take" the division though. If you get what I mean.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Although you were probably solicitating responses from other posters, I'll give it a stab. I didn't put as much stock in his evaluation skills as I did his training skills and experience he brought into the situation. I trusted him but not so strongly that I'm not evaluating myself (just for fun, I don't take any stock in my evaluation). No doubt, our lack thereof in previous recent seasons certainly magnified his reputation. If we had had let say, Gruden, before and he didn't succeed and Smith was where he was (is), I think the "wow, we have Harbaugh!" feeling would have been somewhat dissipated.

As for CK, I don't think we can say anything about evaluation here until we see a somewhat finished product (or as finished as somewhere between Smith and Bradford), though we can certainly hypothesize what direction he's going. As for what CK is, I think it's simlar. I can't say he's ready and will be great, but I can't go the "see, he isn't good" and therefore, Harbaugh isn't a great evaluator either. I think CK's play shows that he's a rookie from a different system who needs coaching and development. Nothing tells me that he's a lost cause or the franchise.

When we drafted Alex, I saw reports saying that he was a project and we hoped that he'd be the franchise, but it appears with our hope to rid ourselves of Smith, people are saying that Alex is a stopgap "because we have our "franchise quarterback" of the future in Kaepernick. How so? Did our frustration with Smith leapfrog CK into "the franchise"? Not entirely. Because of Harbaugh and the trust we have in him, he's been anointed. If Singletary had drafted CK, even with full endorsement from Harbaugh, we would not be saying this. So Harbuagh is who he is, let's hope he is who we think he is.

I won't call CK the franchise or rationalize my evaluations of Smith based upon it. I evaluate Smith based on now and previous play, with consideration of positive and negative circumstances Smith has had (while he has had negative circumstances, having a franchise that either recognizes the negative circumstances (and tries to fix it) or at least has the desire to get their money worth has benefitted him).

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think it is way too soon to offer an informed answer to your question and even the best talent scouts are going to swing & miss every now and again, sometimes for weaknesses they, as talent evaluators, should have seen and other times for reasons beyond the control of the scout.

That said, if the choke chain Smith was lynched to yesterday is indicative of his evaluation of Smiths skills and abilities, then I think he may be spot-on with Smith's evaluation.

As for Kap, I am not buying any stock now, but there is still plenty of time for that to change (I expected he would be a 1-2 year project when he was drafted).

Regarding Tolzien, although I have not seen enough to make an overall evaluation, I like what little I have seen from him. That said, I don't know who was more instrumental in his acquisition, Harbaugh, Chryst or Roman or if it was a community decision.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Developing and evaluating QBs are mutually exclusive. I'd rather my HC develop the QBs that the GM evaluates.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Clyde said. I'm more interested in his QB development.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay so the opinions are it's too early to tell regarding his QB evaluating and that people would rather have an HC who develops. As would I, even though the topic of developing is kind of OT, but I was a quiet proponent for giving McDaniels another chance at HC(w/ no GM power what so ever). Anyway, I think it's fairly safe to say Kaep was Harbs draft pick, so YES it does matter whether or not he's a good evaluator. Only time will tell as they say.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Harbaugh supporting Alex Smith doesn't say anything about his ability to evaluate QBs. Kaepernick is a different story; that probably has Harbaugh's fingerprints on it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so the opinions are it's too early to tell regarding his QB evaluating and that people would rather have an HC who develops. As would I, even though the topic of developing is kind of OT, but I was a quiet proponent for giving McDaniels another chance at HC(w/ no GM power what so ever). Anyway, I think it's fairly safe to say Kaep was Harbs draft pick, so YES it does matter whether or not he's a good evaluator. Only time will tell as they say.

I was about to disagree with you and say that Baalke is the boss... but then I remembered that Baalke said the 49ers didn't have an NFL QB on the roster shortly after he was promoted to GM (or something along those lines). Which included Alex Smith.

With Smith still here, I guess it's pretty obvious that Baalke is letting Harbaugh make the calls on which QBs he feels that he can get production from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Although you were probably solicitating responses from other posters, I'll give it a stab. I didn't put as much stock in his evaluation skills as I did his training skills and experience he brought into the situation. I trusted him but not so strongly that I'm not evaluating myself (just for fun, I don't take any stock in my evaluation). No doubt, our lack thereof in previous recent seasons certainly magnified his reputation. If we had had let say, Gruden, before and he didn't succeed and Smith was where he was (is), I think the "wow, we have Harbaugh!" feeling would have been somewhat dissipated.

As for CK, I don't think we can say anything about evaluation here until we see a somewhat finished product (or as finished as somewhere between Smith and Bradford), though we can certainly hypothesize what direction he's going. As for what CK is, I think it's simlar. I can't say he's ready and will be great, but I can't go the "see, he isn't good" and therefore, Harbaugh isn't a great evaluator either. I think CK's play shows that he's a rookie from a different system who needs coaching and development. Nothing tells me that he's a lost cause or the franchise.

When we drafted Alex, I saw reports saying that he was a project and we hoped that he'd be the franchise, but it appears with our hope to rid ourselves of Smith, people are saying that Alex is a stopgap "because we have our "franchise quarterback" of the future in Kaepernick. How so? Did our frustration with Smith leapfrog CK into "the franchise"? Not entirely. Because of Harbaugh and the trust we have in him, he's been anointed. If Singletary had drafted CK, even with full endorsement from Harbaugh, we would not be saying this. So Harbuagh is who he is, let's hope he is who we think he is.

I won't call CK the franchise or rationalize my evaluations of Smith based upon it. I evaluate Smith based on now and previous play, with consideration of positive and negative circumstances Smith has had (while he has had negative circumstances, having a franchise that either recognizes the negative circumstances (and tries to fix it) or at least has the desire to get their money worth has benefitted him).

Nice post!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two things.

1) Jim Harbaugh was highered as a HC, so his ability to develop the players and in particularly the QBs is much more key than his ability to evaluate college players. Evaluation should be left almost exclusively to the GM and the scouting department.

2) I don't know that Prime was Harbaugh's pick. He probably gave him an endorsement, but Baalke made it very clear that he was calling the shots on draft day.