• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A random thought re: CB

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cully makes me a little nervous at the end of plays sometimes. He seems prone to push and shove after the play every now and then. I fear he could get baited into an unsportsmanlike at a critical time.....hope it's not Sunday.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cully will do fine. It's Goldson i would be more "fearful" in terms of stupid penalities.

But he's playing at a pro bowl level so, whatevzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Cully will do fine. It's Goldson i would be more "fearful" in terms of stupid penalities.

But he's playing at a pro bowl level so, whatevzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

He's really athletic for a Safety. Don't think he'll be signable next year though after getting humilated in free agency and disrespected by the 49ers in the off season. He's going to be asking for some big money based on his season. If he gets a big contract he might get lazy. This year he's playing for pride and a contract.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it usually does. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game.

Comes to pressuring Eli and protectin Alex. Even though the Giants offensive attack isn't as devastating as the Saints....IMO

Staley and A Davis are up to the task on their end IMO, nullifying JPP, Tuck, OSI or Kiwi

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Comes to pressuring Eli and protectin Alex. Even though the Giants offensive attack isn't as devastating as the Saints....IMO

Staley and A Davis are up to the task on their end IMO, nullifying JPP, Tuck, OSI or Kiwi

I think they will be. They struggle against the blitzing, stunting 3-4 fronts; not so much against the 4-3 fronts that don't blitz like the Giants. Our guys are strong but easily confused. I think they'll hold up against a standard 4-3 like the Giants play though.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't expect the secondary to shut them out. Just going from last week, the NFL refused to call holding on passing plays. With an anonymous defender saying that once the O-line realized that, they were just grabbing everyone... anyway.. if they let the O-lines play this week too... Eli is going to have time to make some perfect passes. Which will lead to stuff like we saw earlier in the year... just impossible to defend.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

I think they will be. They struggle against the blitzing, stunting 3-4 fronts; not so much against the 4-3 fronts that don't blitz like the Giants. Our guys are strong but easily confused. I think they'll hold up against a standard 4-3 like the Giants play though.

Yeah, though with everyone healthy now, the Giants have been doing more stunting, shifting, etc.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't expect the secondary to shut them out. Just going from last week, the NFL refused to call holding on passing plays. With an anonymous defender saying that once the O-line realized that, they were just grabbing everyone... anyway.. if they let the O-lines play this week too... Eli is going to have time to make some perfect passes. Which will lead to stuff like we saw earlier in the year... just impossible to defend.

Hochuli's crew has called holding a lot this year. It's not his entire crew, but they might be more likely to make those calls in this game. For all their flaws, our OL don't hold that often, so that's certainly something that might hurt us more than other teams.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's really athletic for a Safety. Don't think he'll be signable next year though after getting humilated in free agency and disrespected by the 49ers in the off season. He's going to be asking for some big money based on his season. If he gets a big contract he might get lazy. This year he's playing for pride and a contract.

Plus Reggie Smith will be cheaper, as well is a better center field fs. He can also lay the big hit.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Reggie Smith will be cheaper, as well is a better center field fs. He can also lay the big hit.

TBH, this year Goldson has played at a Pro Bowl level... Can't say Reggie is better.... Goldson did come in with some picks so, tough to disspell that.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, this year Goldson has played at a Pro Bowl level... Can't say Reggie is better.... Goldson did come in with some picks so, tough to disspell that.

Have you ever noticed how when Reggie Smith is in the game that he's always around the ball on passing plays? Don't get me wrong though, Goldson has had an excellent season, he does get out of position sometimes though. Remember, Smith had won the job this summer, then he injured his knee and had surgery, Goldson was then brought back and won, as well as kept the job and went on to have a fantastic season. I think the amount of money he'll want vs how much talent we MIGHT LOSE with Smith starting isn't even a question to the answer.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is Tramaine Brock better than Spencer as the #4 CB? I've always been high on Tarrell Brown, so I've been happy to see him get his opportunities as the new #2, and Cully looks like he'll grow into a crucial part of the defense, but behind Rogers, Brown, and Cully.... Brock has not impressed me at all. His has shown a better ability to catch up to receivers than Spencer, but Spencer is a vastly better coverage corner than Brock.

The one thing about Spencer that probably did him in, which others have already touched on, is that Spencer, at times, will give up on the play. Can't give up when playing for a coach like Harbs or you'll be ridin the bench like Spencer.... or cut like Braylon.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever noticed how when Reggie Smith is in the game that he's always around the ball on passing plays? Don't get me wrong though, Goldson has had an excellent season, he does get out of position sometimes though. Remember, Smith had won the job this summer, then he injured his knee and had surgery, Goldson was then brought back and won, as well as kept the job and went on to have a fantastic season. I think the amount of money he'll want vs how much talent we MIGHT LOSE with Smith starting isn't even a question to the answer.

Reggie has his good moments but not to Goldson's growing ability right now IMO. For instance, last week vs the saints, he lured Brees into a pick and nearly followed up with two more in the giants game had communication been there for both CB n S...(blood pressure rising again).... I like Goldson growing as he is right now, if he can tell me, he'll continue to do what he's been doing, i'll take him over Reggie.

Depends how much money he'll ask for. Definitely won't break the bank, considering we have Rogers to resign as well. Considering there's not a bigger player in FA(that i know of) or via draft, Goldson is the best safety out there.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith isn't hitting anybody like Goldson. That physical play is something that doesn't show up in the box score. Problem was it also cost us two INTs but oh well.